yukon NVMT gen2+ 3x50

Has anyone had any experiences with this monoculor?

I kinda bit the bullet and just ordered one but now after spending a couple of hours researching Im wondering if it was the right choice. Is the IR illuminator good enough or can I get a better one? (I've got an IR filter for my lamp but its awkward carrying two lamps because I haven,t got the nv scope to shoot) Im hoping to use it for spotting and tracking the foxes coming in then using a daytime scope and red lamp to shoot. I didn't want to buy a nv scope because of I didn,t want to be swinging the gun about to scan for charlie. If this gen2+ monoculor seemed to be what I want then my next intention would be to purchase the nv scope.

How long does your eye take to adjust from looking through the nv to be able to shoot through the standard scope?

How far could you spot a fox with this monoculor?

Is there any way of attaching the monoculor to the standard scope?

Thanks for any help!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda bit the bullet and just ordered one but now after spending a couple of hours researching Im wondering if it was the right choice. Is the IR illuminator good enough or can I get a better one? (I've got an IR filter for my lamp but its awkward carrying two lamps because I haven,t got the nv scope to shoot) Im hoping to use it for spotting and tracking the foxes coming in then using a daytime scope and red lamp to shoot. I didn't want to buy a nv scope because of I didn,t want to be swinging the gun about to scan for charlie. If this gen2+ monoculor seemed to be what I want then my next intention would be to purchase the nv scope.

How long does your eye take to adjust from looking through the nv to be able to shoot through the standard scope?

Thanks for any help!

As an monocular its OK but for the price of these units you could of got a lot more for your money, you could do with a extra IR unit , i would go for a N1000 ir laser from nvscope.com price is around £110 or £145 for the adjustable power unit, he sells them on ebay as well Item number: 280610223693.

With this ir laser and your yukon NVMT gen2+ 3x50 you should be spotting Mr fox out to around 250 yards + .

As for putting it on a day scope this would be hard due to the 3x lens, you really need a 1x or 1.5x lens to put on to a day scope.

The more you use your NV the more your eye will adjust try not to view for to long straight away, about 30 sec at a time, the NVMT gen2 unit has a bright image intensifier tube which can result in headaches and feeling a bit sick

but this does pass with use.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for any help!

As an monocular its OK but for the price of these units you could of got a lot more for your money, you could do with a extra IR unit , i would go for a N1000 ir laser from nvscope.com price is around £110 or £145 for the adjustable power unit, he sells them on ebay as well Item number: 280610223693.

With this ir laser and your yukon NVMT gen2+ 3x50 you should be spotting Mr fox out to around 250 yards + .

As for putting it on a day scope this would be hard due to the 3x lens, you really need a 1x or 1.5x lens to put on to a day scope.

The more you use your NV the more your eye will adjust try not to view for to long straight away, about 30 sec at a time, the NVMT gen2 unit has a bright image intensifier tube which can result in headaches and feeling a bit sick

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply! When you say its ok what distances are they ok for and what should I have gone for? Headaches! great I gave up the beer because of them and rash desisions on the interweb!

Thanks for any help!

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply! When you say its ok what distances are they ok for and what should I have gone for? Headaches! great I gave up the beer because of them and rash desisions on the interweb!

I just checked out the specification and it says it has a 150IR illuminator. Would that not be better than the n1000 which is 100? Im new to this so just trying to get as much info as possible.

I've just come across a 450mw IR illuminator on Ebay. Would this be the best for illumination? It states its the brightest on the market but would it be compatable with the yukon NVMT gen2+ 3x50?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IR-Illuminator-450mW-Night-Vision-Rifle-Scope-NEW-/280618984538?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item415631e45a

Edited by sako

I've just come across a 450mw IR illuminator on Ebay. Would this be the best for illumination? It states its the brightest on the market but would it be compatable with the yukon NVMT gen2+ 3x50?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IR-Illuminator-450mW-Night-Vision-Rifle-Scope-NEW-/280618984538?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item415631e45a

The 450mw LED IR illuminator is ok out to around 100yards its not that well thought of and most replace it with an IR laser like the N1000AP which will give you double the distance and more.

The 450mw LED IR illuminator is ok out to around 100yards its not that well thought of and most replace it with an IR laser like the N1000AP which will give you double the distance and more.

Ah I see! So would the N1000AP give off more light than my lightforce blitz with the IR filter?

iv got the exelon 3x50 gen 1plus with a dipol l3 laser i use it for spotting and love it but i only paid £120 for nv second hand i think the one you have orderd are sumwere round the £1200 mark hope it justifys the price tag but iv no doubt you will be happy with it atb

yes you are not far off with the price! I hope I'll be happy, I think I will Im not expecting miracles I just want to be able to call the fox in with the fx3 caller and just view the field for charlie before I put the red filter lamp on to shoot! I,ve posted on the general topics part forum for the best recorded calls for the fx3 but haven't had much luck.

Im going to wait until I recieve the nv monoculor, give it a try as it comes,then try it with a IR filter on the blitz and decide wether I need a different IR illuminator.

yes you are not far off with the price! I hope I'll be happy, I think I will Im not expecting miracles I just want to be able to call the fox in with the fx3 caller and just view the field for charlie before I put the red filter lamp on to shoot! I,ve posted on the general topics part forum for the best recorded calls for the fx3 but haven't had much luck.

Im going to wait until I recieve the nv monoculor, give it a try as it comes,then try it with a IR filter on the blitz and decide wether I need a different IR illuminator.

I have the lightforce 170 x2 on my land rover with permanent ir lenses also a hand held unit (white light)for finding what i shoot and these are great, with the 170 x2 i can light up a massive area for NV spotting but would not want anything but the N1000 on my rifle.

Ok so because Im initially going to use the nv monoculor for spotting do I need to get the n1000 straight away or would I be better off using the IR filter on the lamp for spotting?

Can I ask what nv scope you use and what calibre rifle?

As I have practically no experience with nv I thought Id initially try the monocular to see how I got on. My first thought was if the monocular wasn't up to scratch it would still be useful for carcass watching 100 yrds whereas if I jumped straight into the nv scope route I dont have money to throw away if they wer'nt up to scratch. I tried a gen2+ scope a few years back worth about £2500 It seemed ok for field viewing but Im usually shooting longer ranges into cover and hillsides which that particular scope didn't seem capable with.(fields around me are small)

What is the best scope for a 22-250 that we can buy in the uk and where is the best place to buy one?

Sorry for all the questions but Im trying to increase my knowledge of nv before I rush into anything else!

Camo that looks exactly what I would be after, not to big and bulky.

Can I ask what make/model it is, how far you can see a fox in an open field, how far you can see one clearly in cover like long grass/rush, what gen, where you bought it and rough price?

sorry about all the questions but by your kit it looks like you're no amature!