yukon NVMT gen2+ 3x50

Back on topic, tried the yukon monoculor last night and was pleasantly suprised. Out to 80yrds was clear as a bell sheep out 150 yrds were easily viewable but after 100yrds the brightness of the laser started to struggle. Guess Im gonna be getting myself a N1000 :thumbs: When I switched on the blitz with IR the sheep at 150yrds lit up like a christmas tree. It was easy enough to hold the nv and scan with the lamp the same time but thats hard work for me if I have to take two lamps when Im on my own.

I did see a fox which I spotted with the lamp then tried the monoculor but you've got no chance when they are at distance in cover. Even with a white lamp I couldn't see the fox's outline only his eyes through a 6x42 schmidt and bender so the nv had no chance. Im begining to think the dedicated nv scope wouldn't be the answer for me unless Im shooting into clean fields. I think Id be better off buying a better higher magnified scope. Any advice or opinions on the best scopes for lamping and distinguishing images at distance in cover?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to scopes it's abit hit and miss tried S&B 8x56 not much cop, always wet back to my cheap AGS swats but last nite tried it on my zeiss 3x12x50 and must say it worked very well. Thanks for the info on the caller will look into one i think mines about ready for the scrap pile lol.

When it comes to scopes it's abit hit and miss tried S&B 8x56 not much cop, always wet back to my cheap AGS swats but last nite tried it on my zeiss 3x12x50 and must say it worked very well. Thanks for the info on the caller will look into one i think mines about ready for the scrap pile lol.

What didn't you like about the s+b 8x56? Iv'e been happy with my 6x42's for the last 17 years. I found the cheap scopes wont hold zero even on a .22 I just think it's about time to renew them with maybe a higher mag for better clarity over distance. Do you find the variable scopes accuracy reduced at full power due to the exagerated movements?

What didn't you like about the s+b 8x56? Iv'e been happy with my 6x42's for the last 17 years. I found the cheap scopes wont hold zero even on a .22 I just think it's about time to renew them with maybe a higher mag for better clarity over distance. Do you find the variable scopes accuracy reduced at full power due to the exagerated movements?

All it was with the S&B was the xhairs are not as clear as the AGS think it as something to do with the coating of the lens?? Cheaper scopes seem to work better with add-ons this Zeiss is good but not as clear as the AGS but it will do lol. As for not holding zero i have never lost zero as of yet with both AGS swat scopes 17hmr will put hole on hole and 22lr not much bigger. I only turn the mag up once i have found owt to shoot if un clear at 3 mag i may up it to 8 or so.

I suppose most of your shots are through the nv? I did read somewhere S&B were not to clever with nv. My only experience of a variable is a cheapy on my .22 and whenever I sight it in, within no time the point of impact shifts. I know .22's are rather inaccurate themselves but I have my reasons for owning one and 150 yrd shots isn't one, hence fitting the cheap scope.Love the accuracy of the 17hmr only tried one once but you are right about the hole on hole very impressive.

Going out again tonight to test the yukon with some sound sequences I created last night for the foxpro.Although I don't think Im going to rush out and buy a dedicated nv scope. I think an add on and maybe a new variable scope might suit my needs better.

Any ideas of the better variables which would suit shooting with a lamp? I do like the clear cross on the S&B as its slightly thicker it seems clear when using with a lamp.

I suppose most of your shots are through the nv? I did read somewhere S&B were not to clever with nv. My only experience of a variable is a cheapy on my .22 and whenever I sight it in, within no time the point of impact shifts. I know .22's are rather inaccurate themselves but I have my reasons for owning one and 150 yrd shots isn't one, hence fitting the cheap scope.Love the accuracy of the 17hmr only tried one once but you are right about the hole on hole very impressive.

Going out again tonight to test the yukon with some sound sequences I created last night for the foxpro.Although I don't think Im going to rush out and buy a dedicated nv scope. I think an add on and maybe a new variable scope might suit my needs better.

Any ideas of the better variables which would suit shooting with a lamp? I do like the clear cross on the S&B as its slightly thicker it seems clear when using with a lamp.

If it's just with the lamp you won't go wrong with a S&B 8x56 they are very good in low light as you know. :thumbs:

The problem is I've caught this nv bug so I could do with a scope good for a lamp and nv just incase I bite the bullet again! Havent been out with the gun but just looking out the upstairs window into the field behind I can see a good 100yrds with the yukon with no IR illuminator just the stars. Im feeling quite happy with it. I just gotta make sure I dont get the chance to look through something better or I'll be :wallbash: regreting my purchase.

Update on the Yukon NVMT gen2+ 3x50... Spotted a pair of eyes whilst out lamping earlier with the white lamp, wasn't sure wether it was charlie as it was just over a brow not far from where sheep hang about by a hay rack, so swithched off the lamp and turned on the yukon. I couldn't see anything UNTIL I turned on the IR illuminator and there were the eyes. I sueaked with my mouth just gently more like a mouse than a rabbit and the fox started coming it was brilliant I couldn't believe it. He only came over the brow and on a few yards further and stopped, he was about 120yrds at first so was only just over a 100yrds away but he was extremely cautious. I put the monoculor down went to look through the scope and when I flicked the lamp on all I saw was rushes. Id only been so keen on trying the yukon I didn't look down for the best spot to shoot from :icon_redface::wallbash: Thats the first time a fox has got away and I was still smiling. I now know Im happy with the nv monoculor for spotting and it works!All I need now is for it to fit as an add on!

I don't know what make the dsa is but things are looking promising for fitting of the yukon! I haven't got adjustable parallax and it'll be going on the S&B. I hope I can see ok, I can't be any worse of a shot anyway. I only shoot em foxes if they do this :notworthy: (not so much not worthy, but stick their hands up and give themselves up!)

"if your wanting to fit a 1x lens on your excelon they dont fit iv tryed"

I just looked at your excelon 3x50 it looks extremely simular. The manual that came with mine says something about interchangable lenses so I hope you are not right. Sorry it did'nt work for you though.