What is your motivation to go hunting?

Good morning dear hunters,

my name is Sabrina and I am a student for international tourism at BEST-Sabel Hochschule in Berlin (University of Applied Sciences). I am very glad and thankful that your admin IanB allowed me to post this on here. Currently I am working on a study for my bachelor thesis. The topic of it is: "Chasing wildlife and people's motivations to go hunting". I have read a lot so far, learned about the positive econmic impacts it has on countries and local people and also about how hunting saves species from overpopulation. To be honest, I never really thought about this before I started working on that topic. I am really glad I did :) Anyways, after reading and studying and reading... I found out that no one and nothing really gives hints about a hunter's motivation. So therefore I created a survey (20questions/5minutes) to point out, what your main motivating factors are ;) The survey is in English and absolutely anonymous. The results will only be used for my scientific work. If you wish to learn about my findings, I would be happy to share them with you guys. I hope that many of you can take the time to answer it, it will be a big help for me. Of course you can ask me any questions you want on here or e-mail me to: Sabbi.Schmidt1987@gmx.de :)

The link to the survey is the following: http://www.studentenforschung.de/web/?id=172167

If you have the time I would be greatly thankful and happy :) So everyone have a beautiful sunday and happy hunting

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning dear hunters,

my name is Sabrina and I am a student for international tourism at BEST-Sabel Hochschule in Berlin (University of Applied Sciences). I am very glad and thankful that your admin IanB allowed me to post this on here. Currently I am working on a study for my bachelor thesis. The topic of it is: "Chasing wildlife and people's motivations to go hunting". I have read a lot so far, learned about the positive economic impacts it has on countries and local people and also about how hunting saves species from overpopulation. To be honest, I never really thought about this before I started working on that topic. I am really glad I did :) Anyways, after reading and studying and reading... I found out that no one and nothing really gives hints about a hunter's motivation. So therefore I created a survey (20questions/5minutes) to point out, what your main motivating factors are ;) The survey is in English and absolutely anonymous. The results will only be used for my scientific work. If you wish to learn about my findings, I would be happy to share them with you guys. I hope that many of you can take the time to answer it, it will be a big help for me. Of course you can ask me any questions you want on here or e-mail me to: Sabbi.Schmidt1987@gmx.de :)

The link to the survey is the following: http://www.studentenforschung.de/web/?id=172167

If you have the time I would be greatly thankful and happy :) So everyone have a beautiful Sunday and happy hunting

Survey completed.

Don't forget, hunting if controlled correctly can also help save species from under-population/extinction too. If you add value to an animal (almost as if it was a commodity) then this encourages people to help them either by captive breeding programs or habitat control to encourage wild breeding (or both).

Plus I think you missed two of the most fundamental reasons for Hunting - Food and Pest control...

All the best with your Thesis.

i think you missed a few facotrs such as food and pest control, not many hunters hunt purely for fun.

lol on "What do you feel when you hunt?"

i put: Satisfaction, Adrenaline, Recoil.

SHe's a tourism major, so this is all about paid hunting tours/safaris i think rather than pest control on rabbits etc. Think its for the fat cats who go shoot a lion.

• 2 months later...

survey completed. i think a open section to put in answers to questions (that i believe have been missed )would have been handy, also that the individual interpretation of the questions could have been understood as well. :thumbs:

Hunting can provide food for locals, improve the local economy and actually help to preserve the local species.

I read a study on wild caught reptiles which showed that the people collecting wild reptiles from the wild actually helped to protect the species and environment as the locals knew if they damaged the environment or took too many of a single species then it would affect their future income.