what grain heads would sute 243 rifle for foxes and deer

hi john did you try the 87g bthp by hornady.... also good for deer...

Snap.

Hi Buddy, yup sure did ( if memory serves me correctly the bullets look like a FMJ with a "pin" hole at the top (?)) . I know this is going to sound very sad but I just didn't like the look/style of the bullet and the OAL was very close to Hornady 100g SP bullets.

I've shot loads of deer with the 100 grain SP's but after getting a .308 I started to use the .243 for a long range foxing tool, always choosing the .308 for deer. After shooting a few Roe with the .308 I realised that the .243" still had it's uses on the deer. BY that time I had already worked up loads with the 58 grain V-max and had given all my 100 grain rounds to my stalking partner. The 58 grainers were just short of 1700 ft-lbs, okay I knew that the roe would still be killed but I wanted to get up to the 1700 ft-lb with out losing accuracy. I had no idea that my pro-hunter would achieve a single hole group at 100 yards until I started using the little 58 grainers, I found that Speer (?) could even be Sierra produced a 75 grain SP in 6mm but couldn't find any anywhere so I was stuck on the 75 grain V-max for the time being. Due to the polymer tip the bullets are slightly longer than a traditional SP bullet but still produce .5" to .8" true groups at 100 yards. This was a massive improvement over 1" to 3" (averaging 1.5" groups) that I was getting with the 100 grain SP bullets. However I am fully aware that V-max isn't the bullet for deer and as such hasn't really helped me in my quest but has given a rest-bite.

I am convinced that the 75 grain V-max would cleanly kill a roe, with a fair bit of boiler room meat damage but to be fair there isn't a great deal of meat on a roe at the front end, that said damage isn't that bad on fox and no where near the damage that occurred with the 58 grain V-max which was explosive. The rounds do produce 1750 ft-lbs ME, so are deer legal for the larger deer but I am convinced that the rounds would crater on a red and have no penetration at all, I might be wrong but just the thought would stop me pulling the trigger.

John

Hi mate, as you know any v-max bullet is not designed for deer and therefore you run the risk always of wounding the animal, penatration simply is NOT consistant...

Whenmy tikka was 1 in 10 twist 100g simply wouldn't shoot good, So i droped down to 95g sst,

And they turned out to be awesome, the 87g BTSP is as you describe, and i think your missing something rather special, i'd try a few again, and work on OAL, to see how

accyrate you can get them, as they are.

ATB.

Snap.

i think your missing something rather special, i'd try a few again, and work on OAL, to see how

accyrate you can get them, as they are.

ATB.

Snap.

I've just sorted out a portable reloading kit for the range, so I might as well start by exploring a new load for the .243". I think the game fare is on in June, so that might give me an opportunity to pick up some bullets which I can not normally buy.

The range when I shoot, is simply an old coal colliery and not very nice in the winter months but during the summer, on a week day, it's most excellent.

John

take your time when load developing and you'll get it accurate

Just about got my set-up right. Collapsible BR table, laptop connected to two chronographs and now the reloading set-up. It's only cheap, Lee c frame, digital scales, trickler, and dippers but all I want to do is use the seating die and have the ability to throw charges.

As you say, not much cop at this time of year, lose feeling in the fingers :)

John

I'd suggest that a V-MAX isn't really the right bullet to be using on animals you want to eat

Totally agree and IMHO V-max isn't legal for use on deer; However I can find no 6mm SP bullets that will stabilise in my 1in12 pro-hunter. I would be a VERY happy man if I could buy 75 grain soft point bullets. :yes:

John

As far as I know there is nothing illegal about using 87 Grain V-Max on any deer. FYI I shot 2 muntjac with them last week, one of which was 395 yds away and it dropped like a stone with no problems. I find the key to humane dispatch is shot placement. I have heard people talk about using other bullets and they want to see the bullet exit to leave a good bullet trail. The experiences I have had with V-Max is that if you hit the animal in the ribs and penetrate the heart and lungs the fragmenting shards from the V-Max liquidize the heart and lungs and give an instant kill. I wouldn't advocate using them on large reds or Sika, but for smaller deer they are awesome. (AS LONG AS YOUR SHOT HITS THE RIGHT SPOT).

I only target Roe and Muntjac as far as deer are concerned but will also take fox and rabbits if I see them about. My prefered bullet is the 87 grain V-Max for over 400yds and 80 grain bergers for less than 400yds.

The V-Max used with H414 give 0.5-0.6" groups at 100yds.

The Bergers with Varget will give 0.8" groups at 200yds.

Edited by robbobsam

I've butchered quite a few deer in close succession over the last month, Most shot with different ammo from different folks ,243's

The most bruising, with out any shaddow of doubt, was from chest shot Ballistic tips.

Its not to say I dont use them, I do, but limit to head/neck shots. (58gr Norma) Just so acccurate in my gun. If I can H/N shoot, they get left if this is the ammoi I have on board.

My fox load id 87gr BTHP's........absolutley no way would this get used on a Chest shot.. Head/ Neck only

100gr Sierra soft points were the the best for least meat damage..

I also had the unfortunate job of butchering a deer shot with a 22-250 vmax round through the chest.......Next time, i will refuse. Just too much wastage for my likeing, coupled with a 'Stalker' who delivered the carcass without opening up the chest cavity..........:censored: Two days after shooting it. Imagine the mess...

...like something from Hornady , perhaps their plastic tipped SST would be good also...

These things are like big V-Max and even blow up on rabbits too. I have used them on deer and never again, the last Roe I shot with one of these had an exit hole that I could get my head in, no exageration :icon_eek: . Great on fox tho :thumbs:

I'd say your bullet hit bone mate, i've been using the 95sst as a primary round for deer this last five years, and i find it a great round,

there is a little waste if you hit the shoulder, but the bullet perfectly mushrooms, and has a thinker jacket and different core for controled expansion,

but as i mostly neck shoot my deer i've never had a problem with any waste, but when the HL shot is taken i find it very good with little meat loss,

i've seen a few deer that were a little badly messed up but that was due to through the shoulder and into the heart as it was the only shot i could take.

Snap.

It deffinately touched a rib on the way in and it's not the first to explode uncontrolably and make a right mess. It's not like I push them hard either, only around the 2600 mark. I've now moved onto Sierra Gamekings and am very happy with the results, soft points all the way for me now.

...like something from Hornady , perhaps their plastic tipped SST would be good also...

These things are like big V-Max and even blow up on rabbits too. I have used them on deer and never again, the last Roe I shot with one of these had an exit hole that I could get my head in, no exageration :icon_eek: . Great on fox tho :thumbs:

I'd say your bullet hit bone mate, i've been using the 95sst as a primary round for deer this last five years, and i find it a great round,

there is a little waste if you hit the shoulder, but the bullet perfectly mushrooms, and has a thinker jacket and different core for controled expansion,

but as i mostly neck shoot my deer i've never had a problem with any waste, but when the HL shot is taken i find it very good with little meat loss,

i've seen a few deer that were a little badly messed up but that was due to through the shoulder and into the heart as it was the only shot i could take.

Snap.