Knives

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mac_*

Guest_Mac_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:44 pm

Anybody got opinions on knives (pocket/handy-sized), personal fav's etc as the title says, a good all-rounder ? Just interested.

( I know what your opinion will be to that chilli, keep it to yer self :11:)

#2 Stabs

Stabs

• 5,557 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:53 pm

I've got a Victorinox multi-tool which goes everywhere with me and that's got two good blades, one slightly serrated. They keep a good edge and I've caped out a few foxes with that one. I don't know how much they are over here as I got mine on the continent but they'd be similar to a Gerber or Leatherman I suppose. I also keep a Victorinox Swiss Champion handy.

As for a fixed blade I bought a Cudeman last year and it's been good

http://www.cutleryto...manofspain.html

I did use a Smith and Wesson (silver, part serrated, 2nd from left top row)

http://worldwidekniv...wesson/sw1.html

and that was good until I tried to cut acrylic glass with it :11:

#3 Guest_Mac_*

Guest_Mac_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:00 pm

I've got a Victorinox multi-tool which goes everywhere with me and that's got two good blades, one slightly serrated. They keep a good edge and I've caped out a few foxes with that one. I don't know how much they are over here as I got mine on the continent but they'd be similar to a Gerber or Leatherman I suppose. I also keep a Victorinox Swiss Champion handy.

As for a fixed blade I bought a Cudeman last year and it's been good

http://www.cutleryto...manofspain.html

I did use a Smith and Wesson (silver, part serrated, 2nd from left top row)

http://worldwidekniv...wesson/sw1.html

and that was good until I tried to cut acrylic glass with it http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

:good: few good sites there [BANNED TEXT] , worth a gander. Trawling through eBay there, seems to be a shit-load to choose from. Bought a wee handy one on there few months back , very similar to that Smith and Wesson not to bad.

Posted Image

#4 Stabs

Stabs

• 5,557 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:02 pm

I do like those thumb open jobbies. Very handy. Those S&W are 440 steel too.

#5 Guest_Mac_*

Guest_Mac_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:05 pm

This the one ? looks a handy tool alright..Victorinox Swisstool Multi-Tool

#6 Stabs

Stabs

• 5,557 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:08 pm

That's the very one Mac. Nice bit of kit that :good: Damn site cheaper than what I paid too :D

#7 Guest_HAWKEYE_*

Guest_HAWKEYE_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:22 pm

I lost a buck hunter out lamping last year, Gutted :(

#8 Guest_chilli_*

Guest_chilli_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:41 pm

wat have i done ? ? ?

i no wat i would say !! i sharnt though they are to hard to look afther for certain people

#9 tiny tim

tiny tim

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:55 pm

leatherman wave.with me everywhere i go ..superb bit of kit.lifetime guarentee.have sent mine back a few times when i have broken the screw driver head etc..3 days later each time recieved a brand new leatherman.rang them up once about sharpening the serated blade ..send it us they said and we will put a new blade on free of charge cant speak more highly of them

#10 Kye

Kye

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:42 pm

I dont know if you lads can get them back home, but the ONLY knife company i would get knifes from now is Cold Steel...they are the BEST.
I butchered a WHOLE elk with a Mini Bushman, and they sell all kinds of stuff, spears, swords, tomahawks, knifes etc.
I got all my mates onto them over here and thats all they will use know. The Bushman and the Mini Bushman are great...they cost rough between 5-15 quid, and if you break it, send it back and you will get another free!...they sound crap at that price, but they are amazing!
Kye..

#11 Guest_reload_*

Guest_reload_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:15 pm

I dont know if you lads can get them back home, but the ONLY knife company i would get knifes from now is Cold Steel...they are the BEST.
I butchered a WHOLE elk with a Mini Bushman, and they sell all kinds of stuff, spears, swords, tomahawks, knifes etc.
I got all my mates onto them over here and thats all they will use know. The Bushman and the Mini Bushman are great...they cost rough between 5-15 quid, and if you break it, send it back and you will get another free!...they sound crap at that price, but they are amazing!
Kye..

Cold Steel.....are proper knives :good: Good quality gear.

#12 kiwi

kiwi

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 10:34 pm

here's my hunting knives, they live on the back door step, both hand made in nz small ones a svord general purpose, made from swedish steel holds a good edge. bigger one is my duel pigsticker, stainless steel and well balanced, both have seen alot of use. might be a bit overkill for ya guys fox though lol.http://Posted Image

#13 lucky

lucky

Subscribed Member

• Donator
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:42 pm

i use these made by frosts,available in stainless or carbon steel ;)

#14 IanB

IanB

------

• Administrator
  • 11,138 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:50 pm

leatherman wave.with me everywhere i go ..superb bit of kit.lifetime guarentee.have sent mine back a few times when i have broken the screw driver head etc..3 days later each time recieved a brand new leatherman.rang them up once about sharpening the serated blade ..send it us they said and we will put a new blade on  free of charge   cant speak more highly of them

Tim, I got myself a leathermen wave off my old man....he got it from work off the storeman for nowt :D ...Like you say quality...a lot better than the old original leatherman...how do you go about sending them back do they need a receipt with them when sent? Nothing wrong with mine just handy to know.. ;)

Lucky them frosts are good knives, all the riggers used to use them offshore..cheap with a nice blade and rubber grip... :)

#15 Guest_Ash_*

Guest_Ash_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:30 am

I DONT USE A KNIFE ANY MORE :P IF I SHOOT A DEER AND WANT TO GRALOCH IT I JUST FATTEN THE END OF THE SPENT CASE WITH A ROCK AND USE THAT ONLY JOKEING. I USE AN OLD TIMMER LKE ME.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users