Guys

I am after some help, i currently have a permission that is great and full of rabbits, however the owner wants me to start using NV as he is concerned about the lamps after a few complaints. I am looking at the Pulsar Challenger GS but i am unsure if this is what i need, or if there is anything else i need to go with it. Is this the best unit? Also i am currently using a Nikko Mountmaster 3x9x50 IR AO is this scope suitable?

i hunt with a sub 12ftlb PCP air rifle so i need a range of upto 40yds.

Please someone offer me some words of wisdom!

ATB

Martyn

Top man, should be on order tomorrow. Will the scope be ok?

Ye your scope will work it just makes life better with side px

Do you see image in nv adaptor exacttly like in day scope or does it have a colour to it.Will it have a good clear picture on all mag ranges.

Do you see image in nv adaptor exacttly like in day scope or does it have a colour to it.Will it have a good clear picture on all mag ranges.Yes you see what you see thru the scope, and yes like i say mine goes upto 12 and is spot on .

Do you see image in nv adaptor exacttly like in day scope or does it have a colour to it.Will it have a good clear picture on all mag ranges.

No its not like a day scope, depending on which NV you use ie: gen1 / gen2 /gen3/ digital

you can get a green image or yellow image with an image intensifier tube and digital is like looking at an old TV.

As for turning the mag up on your scope,this depends on the scope/NV unit being used and how much IR you are using

you can go up to 12x mag usually, i can go to 24x mag with my set up.

Edited by pestcontrol121

No its not like a day scope, depending on which NV you use ie: gen1 / gen2 /gen3/ digital

you can get a green image or yellow image with an image intensifier tube and digital is like looking at an old TV.

As for turning the mag up on your scope,this depends on the scope/NV unit being used and how much IR you are using

What laser ,and scope do you use and at what range can you clearly identify a rabbit sized object on a dark night using a pulsar GS1x20 .Thanks for any help.

What laser ,and scope do you use and at what range can you clearly identify a rabbit sized object on a dark night using a pulsar GS1x20 .Thanks for any help.

If your using it through your scope then you will identify at the same ranges as you would in the day. Not sure what you mean by laser - if you mean an IR source to do the illumination, there are lots around and Pulsar will recommend one to go with the unit.

I use a 6-24 x 56 scope with a Merlin Cobra and can ID at 200 yds, no problem. Tend not to shoot at that distance if I can help it though.....

HTH

If your using it through your scope then you will identify at the same ranges as you would in the day. Not sure what you mean by laser - if you mean an IR source to do the illumination, there are lots around and Pulsar will recommend one to go with the unit.

I use a 6-24 x 56 scope with a Merlin Cobra and can ID at 200 yds, no problem. Tend not to shoot at that distance if I can help it though.....

HTH

Well if you can ID a rabbit at 200yards with a gen1 Cobra Merlin i must be doing something wrong and spending too much money on gen3 units.

So you can tell its a rabbit and not a hare/cat/dog/owl or worse scenario some one lying down, yes i know you are not claiming to shoot at these distances but people reading your post might get the wrong idea and yes i have owned a Cobra Merlin which was good for an air rifle, could ID out to around 80 to 100yards with an 100mW laser illuminator, you might see eye shine at a greater distance but not ID it.

My experience is over 30 years shooting and 15 years with NV i own a .22 rimmy & leupold 10x42 / 17Hmr & Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x 50 Mildot / .223 & D480 gen3 night vision/ .243 & IOR 6-24x50 , PVS-14 add-on & gen3 bino's & leupold bino's rangefinder, i also been building NV for the last 7years so i do feel i know what i'm talking about.

HTH

Well if you can ID a rabbit at 200yards with a gen1 Cobra Merlin i must be doing something wrong and spending too much money on gen3 units.

So you can tell its a rabbit and not a hare/cat/dog/owl or worse scenario some one lying down, yes i know you are not claiming to shoot at these distances but people reading your post might get the wrong idea and yes i have owned a Cobra Merlin which was good for an air rifle, could ID out to around 80 to 100yards with an 100mW laser illuminator, you might see eye shine at a greater distance but not ID it.

My experience is over 30 years shooting and 15 years with NV i own a .22 rimmy & leupold 10x42 / 17Hmr & Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x 50 Mildot / .223 & D480 gen3 night vision/ .243 & IOR 6-24x50 , PVS-14 add-on & gen3 bino's & leupold bino's rangefinder, i also been building NV for the last 7years so i do feel i know what i'm talking about.

Not looking to get into a slanging match, nor have I cast any doubt on what others say - particularly when they clearly have more experience than me. Just stating my own opinion/experience and as you rightly point out, I choose not to shoot at these distances and definitely not if there is not a clear ID. The whole point of NV for me is to spot before you are spotted and move to a better, safe shooting position. One thing that is clear is that people seem to have great expectations of NV and it takes a deal of getting used to - and different people adapt in different ways to using it.

HTH

Do you need a scope with parallax adjustment in order to use a pulsar GS 1 X 20 .Thanks.

Do you need a scope with parallax adjustment in order to use a pulsar GS 1 X 20 .Thanks.

To get the best out of any NV add-on you do need a scope with parallax adjustment, having this sort of scope allows you to get distance, it works the same way as it does in the day time, if you use your scope at say 75yards and then try to view at 150yards you will find you need to adjust the parallax to get a sharp picture, you can use a low mag scope without parallax adjustment but you only get a good image at a certain range usually around 30 to 40 yards, i tried this with an simmon 1.5x5x20 wtc which worked well.

Hope this helps.