What Magnification for Air Rifle?

Gaoler

Hello All,

About to buy a Simmons Whitetail Classic scope for my Weirhauch Hw100, I have heard they are good scopes for dawn & dusk shooting.

What is the best magnification, 3.5-10x50 or 3.5-10x40?

They do a 6.5-20x50 with AO lenses, is this too powerfull for my Air Rifle?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

John...

hello mate, i have a simmons white tail classic, 1.5-5x20. these scopes are superb, crystal clear. mine only has a max magnification of 5x. which is perfect during day light. no good at night its to small. the mag matey is the 3.5-10 part, your maximum mag will be x10. which is more than enough for airgunning. either of them 3 will be fine, i would get the cheaper of the 3, the smaller one because they are such good scopes that there wont be much need for the bigger scopes. hope this helps mate. mick

Edited by mick01

Hi, John.

It's a bit like the 'which caliber's best' question, you'll get many different opinions from folks who are all convinced there's is the right one...!! :laugh:

There's nothing wrong with any of the scopes you've listed, IMO out of the ones you have, I'd go for the 3.5-10x50. 10x is more than enough for an airgun and 3.5 will give you a nice clear picture for close range shooting while the nice big 50mm lense will be useful when the light starts to fade.

Cheers.

PS.... I can't remember the last time I had any of my scopes on anything other than 6x for feild use.

Edited by andyfr1968

i personally would have the 3.5-10x50's cos of the better light gathering capabilities. my current rifle came with some 8-24x44 or summat daft like that and they came straight off for some 3-9x40's. the higher mag ones might let you down when it comes to close range shooting, and i think are primarily used for HFT and target shooting.

Hi Gaoler.

They are a lovely scope and one of the best ever for airgun use. I would use a 20 mag scope of this quality and I'm going to go get one I think. I like having the best options of having higher mag when I need it for zeroing or target shooting, and then, wind it down for low light hunting.

But you have a choice beteen 50mm and 40mm frontal objective lenses. Personally? I'd go for the 40mm. I have 2 Simmons Whitetail Classic 4-14X40mm AO scopes for my Weihrauch spring rifles and they are really beautiful. Still a wide field of view and superb in low light It gets the reticle closer to the bore centre than a 50mm objective and that helps give a bit more accuracy.

It's entirely what your taste likes, but you won't be disappointed whichever one you choose.

ATB

Simon

I dont use no top of the range scope but the one i have is awsome for daytime/lowlight its a SMK 3-9x56 although i will say anything up close goes blurred....i know SMK aint that good but it stands up to the beating my TX give it so im happy

Hello All,

Would there be a noticable difference between the 40mm or 50mm objective lense for lamping on the whitetail classic?

Thanks

John...

If you're useing a decent lamp it won't make any difference at all about the lense size, any half decent scope is fine for lamping so long as you've a good lamp.

What you'll notice is as the light starts to fail, a larger lense will gather a little more light before you need to switch the lamp on but TBH, there will be very little noticable difference between those two in practice.

Cheers.