matt-hooks: you are absolutely right when you say that we are socially conditioned, BUT I still think that it is a shame to kill a bird which is iconic in history and literature, doesn't actually provide a huge amount of meat relative to its overall body size: and would take hours to pluck, let alone figuring out how to get it in the oven! LOL Swan steak?

I think that the main reason I fired up in my original edited post is that I am sick of seeing, and hearing stories of swans found dead, dying, injured after idiots have shot at/maimed etc these beautiful birds. I know that they aren't rare, but because they are big they somehow attract the idiot brigade who attempt to kill anything for the sake of it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

matt-hooks: you are absolutely right when you say that we are socially conditioned, BUT I still think that it is a shame to kill a bird which is iconic in history and literature, doesn't actually provide a huge amount of meat relative to its overall body size: and would take hours to pluck, let alone figuring out how to get it in the oven! LOL Swan steak?

I think that the main reason I fired up in my original edited post is that I am sick of seeing, and hearing stories of swans found dead, dying, injured after idiots have shot at/maimed etc these beautiful birds. I know that they aren't rare, but because they are big they somehow attract the idiot brigade who attempt to kill anything for the sake of it.

in 1 hand your saying its not got much meat and in the next your saying you cant get it in the oven....i'm confused :icon_eek:

They taste amazing, allegedly....

Heard its like roast beef.......... :whistling:

dont be daft every thing tastes like chicken :lol::laugh:

Wanna bet.......?. :toast:

They taste amazing, allegedly....

Heard its like roast beef.......... :whistling:

the best roast beef in the world i heard :whistling:

He knows............. :yes:

I've never really thought about shooting swans, but does the .308 not do a fair bit of damage to the meat? What sort of range would you shoot them at?

I use only breasts and legs, so a broad side shot which goes in just above the breast is just fine. Also, a swan is not much resistance to the bullet so it does not really start deformation/defragmentation. When there is a lot of wind, I shoot geese with the .308 and a cheap 170grain softpoint bullet, works just fine. Usually I use my .222 for geese. But - as with all other animals - shot placement is the deciding factor when it comes to damage to the meat. You just have to know, what you're doing ;)

Range on this one was 183 meters - that explains why wind is a problem for the .222 and why a shotgun is out of the question in this case.

November, do you eat them, or is it just pest control?

Both of it sort of. In the first place it is preventing damage to the farmer's crop. But I am curious as to how the swan is going to taste, especially as it smelled like an old carp when I cut out the meat :thumbdown: Also, my son is going to be the happiest kid on earth when he is getting the dried wings as a birthdaypresent :D

BUT I still think that it is a shame to kill a bird which is iconic in history and literature, doesn't actually provide a huge amount of meat relative to its overall body size: and would take hours to pluck, let alone figuring out how to get it in the oven! LOL Swan steak?

I don't get the point with the iconicity in history and literature. Of course, the swan has a certain cultural value and historical background and all that, in Germany as well - but so are other animals, still being hunted. Especially deer and boar..

Why would you need to kill a swan??

Have you seen, what a flock of 100 geese does to canola? Go figure, what 100 swans do.

but ...........................................While the whooper swan currently appears to have a stable population, the Northwest European population of the Bewick’s swan, is thought to be in decline. Both species have long been protected throughout their migratory ranges by national and international legislation (e.g. the EU Birds Directive and the African-Eurasian Waterbird Agreement). :whistling:

sounder