Daystate Rifles

I have been looking again at Pre-Charge Air Rifles after a good few years out and like the sound and look of the Daystates mainly the Ranger. I'm not interested in jacking the power up or anything just a standard 12ft/lbs Gun that will be used as a tool for some small pest control jobs <Mainly Feral Pigeons>, I know there is alot cheaper guns around and perhaps I am setting my sights a little high with the Daystate but I'm also looking for my lad to use it around the farm buildings, Basically its the gun he is crazing the life out of me for :hmm:.

can anyone give me some info on these guns quality wise and in the field? I don't take much notice of the reviews in the mags as alot seem a little biased but any info would be appreciated :drink:.

Cheers

Tony http://www.daystate.co.uk/air_ranger.htm

Nice one Nikey and Donky7 :victory:! a few years back when I brought a PC Rifle it was a choice between the Falcon Raptor Skeleton stock version or a PH6 Harrier! l opted for the Falcon in .177 and picked it up a left hander with left hand bolt and enjoyed it but there was a few things that I didn't like! one was I was only getting around 60 shots per charge before a top up! it half killed me pumping the fecking thing up with one of the styrip pumps :blink:, I'm not sure now but I think it was 190 Bar top up which seemed to take forever yet I could blast through 60 shots with my lad in about 20 mins, then back to a top up again.

A lad used to come out with us sometimes with a Rapid and be blasting about most of the day and when empty he had a spare bottle handy, but to be honest I didn't like the Rapid compared to the Falcon! the Falcon was nice and light and locked into the shoulder lovelly with the thumbhole stock, I finally off loded it and have just messed about with my lad with a old Webley Vulcan springer since then.

I'm pretty certain if the dealer <Michael Tawn> had stuck a Harrier on the table with the Falcon I would have chosen the Harrier, Unfortunatley he didn't have one in stock so I walked away with the Raptor! I'm now hopeing to get a PC Rifle which will do a few more shots per charge than the last gun, its not that I'm lazy or anything but the nearest place I can get a divers bottle filled is Peterborough which is a good 80 mile round trip for me each time, its looking like it will have to be a Pump again to top up :whistle:.

Cheers

Tony

Just a couple of pic's on my first PC which was a Carbine Webley Axsor Just before we moved in 98, and the Raptor in this place.

If you go for a pc rifle i would strongly recomend getting a big diver's bottle as it only take's 10 second's to fill the gun up and you will get a good few thousand shot's out of a full bottle.. i have a big bottle here and it was filled to 200bar when i got it i must of put at least 5000 pellet's through the gun and the bottle has only just gone down to the 140bar mark but it still fill's the rifle up to get 50 shot's ..

Them stirup pump's are prehistoric for this day and age mate and the old lung's dont need it.. :D ..

Millet

Tell me about it mate! it used to cripple me pumping the fecking things up! I used to have to sit down the 10 mins afterwards if not I could'nt hold the gun steady from shaking so much :laugh:! its now 7 years on so it would probably put me it traction now.

what pisses me off is I live not far off the coast so you would think it would be easy to get a Bottle topped up but I tried everywhere! one guy told me you can get them topped up at the fire station? and then another said the Air needs to be dry from all vapour? I suppose this means a compressor is out of order then?

Cheers

Tony

Theres plenty of info on this link about Daystate.Ive got a X2R Sport and its easily the best air rifle I have owned.The Air Ranger is quite a big heavy gun.How old is your son ? http://www.daystateamerica.com/

Hello Mick

He's only 11 but he loves it and growing up fast! at the moment he comes out for a wonder round the farms with a a old Webley Vulcan which must weigh around 7lb or perhaps a bit more with the scope, something about the kids nowadays though mate! they're all big :laugh:!! and boy he seems to handle the Vulcan pretty well for his age.

Cheers

jasper

My Daystate must be at least 20 years old and is firing as good as ever accurate is daystate,just decided to replace it with a new daystate air ranger no hesitation in buying one.

Reguarding filling the bottle it can be a pain but the fire service compressor is exactly the right stuff (former fireman) brother divisional commander if you go along to your local station offer a donation to the fire service benevolent fund might do the trick keep it quiet

My Daystate must be at least 20 years old and is firing as good as ever accurate is daystate,just decided to replace it with a new daystate air ranger no hesitation in buying one.

Reguarding filling the bottle it can be a pain but the fire service compressor is exactly the right stuff (former fireman) brother divisional commander if you go along to your local station offer a donation to the fire service benevolent fund might do the trick keep it quiet

Nice one Mate I'll pay them a visit with a decent donation ;).

Its the Ranger that I like the look and sound of! I would be Intrested in what you think of it when you've banged a few rounds through it :victory:..

Its not a case of blowing the seals, shoving air in rapidly [10 seconds] causes heat , and its this that damages seals.Also, filling rapidly doesn,t give a consistent charge. A pcp should take at least 30 seconds to carefully fill, buddy bottles, at least a minute. My local airgun shop fills bottles, and they are immersed in a dustbin full of water during filling, to keep them cool, and he usually takes 10 to 15 minutes to slowly fill a 15 litre tank.

Jasper, whats wrong with 65 shots a bottle? At least it are 60 rabbits or so, aint that enough? :laugh:

Thinking of buy my first pcp, an airwolf 40 ftlb, found 2 reviews thats all, only thing I know is that they cost a lot of money :cry:

Jasper, whats wrong with 65 shots a bottle? At least it are 60 rabbits or so, aint that enough? :laugh:

Thinking of buy my first pcp, an airwolf 40 ftlb, found 2 reviews thats all, only thing I know is that they cost a lot of money :cry:

I know what you're saying mate and you're right, Mind you if My guns holds 65 shots per charge I would expect 65 Bunnies dead on the floor ;):laugh:.

The problem I have is my lad likes to rattle off a few shots and I must admit I'm not as patient as I used to be waiting for quarry, its not long before I start pinging at other targets :whistle:, I take a load of 12g empties and peg them out to pop at ;).

The Airwolf looks a belter but has crept over my budget, does it work on the same mechanism as the Ranger? One thing I have read it does have is a fangango state of the art electric trigger! I can't see thebenefit to be honest as the last PC rifles I had you could adjust pretty low anyway, if you sqeeze your shots off smoothly you won't need all this electric stuff.

Cheers

Jasper

yes jasper, Its maybe becouse they are so pricy that I can't find any descent comments and reviews. yes I read about the trigger, its easy as clicking a pc mouse :)

(And its over my budget to, but we can wait when neccesary :D )

empty 12g's are my favorites to!

may you find where you are looking for, regards, kris

Edited by targa