barf diet for working cocker spaniel

stevO thats a good offer of sharing your knowledge,i think it would be a good idea to post it rather than pm the op so others could get a bit of insight on barf feeding.I know there are a couple of threads regarding barf but some thing dont always suit others.

Alrite Simon sorry it took a while to get back for you i was out shooting

ok your dog is 15kgs

That is 449g a day and 224g per meal

Monday

Am - 224g Chicken on the bone/wings/legs portions

Pm - 224g Chicken on the bone/wings/leg portions

Tuesday

Am - 224g Mince meat or meat chunks

Pm - 224g lamb breast

Wednesday

Am - 200g heart, 24g tripe mince

Pm - 200g heart, 24g tripe mince

Thursday

Am - 224g Ox tail

Pm - 224g Ox tail

Friday

Pm - 224g lamb breast

Saturday

Am - 100g mince meat or meat chucks, 114g tripe, 10g liver

Pm - 100g mince meat or meat chunks, 114g tripe, 10g liver

Sunday

Am - 54g heart, 170g Chicken on the bone

Pm - 54g heart, 170g Chicken on the bone

Also i give high quality codliver oil on evening feeds and some natural yougut

Other food that can be used are Rabbit,Duck,Turkey,Pig Head...basically any raw meat...i made the diet for your dog based on it being a working dog it will keep the dog at its current weight

Alrite Simon sorry it took a while to get back for you i was out shooting

ok your dog is 15kgs

That is 449g a day and 224g per meal

Monday

Am - 224g Chicken on the bone/wings/legs portions

Pm - 224g Chicken on the bone/wings/leg portions

Tuesday

Pm - 224g lamb breast

Wednesday

Am - 200g heart, 24g tripe mince

Pm - 200g heart, 24g tripe mince

Thursday

Am - 224g Ox tail

Pm - 224g Ox tail

Friday

Pm - 224g lamb breast

Saturday

Am - 100g mince meat or meat chucks, 114g tripe, 10g liver

Pm - 100g mince meat or meat chunks, 114g tripe, 10g liver

Sunday

Am - 54g heart, 170g Chicken on the bone

Pm - 54g heart, 170g Chicken on the bone

Also i give high quality codliver oil on evening feeds and some natural yougut

Other food that can be used are Rabbit,Duck,Turkey,Pig Head...basically any raw meat...i made the diet for your dog based on it being a working dog it will keep the dog at its current weight

hi steveo...... is it good practice to use rabbits shot in the wild for dogs....and where you put mince meat do you mean mince beef and would it be lambs liver ? also what vitamin supplements if any ( apart from the cod liver oil ) do you use?

cheers for the menu that was good of you.... hope you shot plenty of rabbits last night

Shooting was bad i blanked

Depending on what rabbit was shot with.....i use air rifle for rabbits head shots.....take head off gut and give whats left to dogs....skin and all......i would however be careful when feeding a shotgun killed bunny to make sure the shot is lead free.....last thing you want is to poison the dog

I did forget to put that i occasianlly put in raw chopped veg(carrots,peas)but my dogs dont really eat them unless its covered in blood lol.....as for suppliments i give them vitality tab 2 times a week hidden in chunk of meat as they just swallow it.

As for liver yes i use lambs liver but only give a little like in menu as it can cause the squirts i found out that the hard way when i was feeding pigs liver which turned out to be to strong

Depending on what rabbit was shot with.....i use air rifle for rabbits head shots.....take head off gut and give whats left to dogs....skin and all......i would however be careful when feeding a shotgun killed bunny to make sure the shot is lead free.....last thing you want is to poison the dog

I did forget to put that i occasianlly put in raw chopped veg(carrots,peas)but my dogs dont really eat them unless its covered in blood lol.....as for suppliments i give them vitality tab 2 times a week hidden in chunk of meat as they just swallow it.

As for liver yes i use lambs liver but only give a little like in menu as it can cause the squirts i found out that the hard way when i was feeding pigs liver which turned out to be to strong

Mine too refuse to eat veg ................. occasionally i get an attack of guilt that they aren't getting all they need! :laugh: I now use baby food! Its not cheap but you can buy liquid pure fruit and veg for babies in little pouches, i whack them in with a mince meal a couple of times a week. They are cooked veg, but still better than them not getting any IMO.............. it makes me feel better anyway! :toast:

Mine too refuse to eat veg ................. occasionally i get an attack of guilt that they aren't getting all they need! :laugh: I now use baby food! Its not cheap but you can buy liquid pure fruit and veg for babies in little pouches, i whack them in with a mince meal a couple of times a week. They are cooked veg, but still better than them not getting any IMO.............. it makes me feel better anyway! :toast:

lol mine look at me dumbfounded when i give them veg....like what the hell you giving me this for

cheers for that will let you know how he gets on

When changing your dog over to raw it's an idea to slowly introduce him/her to it over 3-5 days so they get used to it....good luck with it mate and wait till you see the diff in your dog i couldn't believe how much my dog's had changed for the better :thumbs:

When changing your dog over to raw it's an idea to slowly introduce him/her to it over 3-5 days so they get used to it....good luck with it mate and wait till you see the diff in your dog i couldn't believe how much my dog's had changed for the better :thumbs:

giving the dog has much bone will this not make him constipated ?

Dogs stomachs have very strong enzimes that can deal with all but the foulest meat/bones.......afterall they have developed over thousands of years hunting and eating raw meat without any canned cr@p and bagged kibble......trust me when i say dogs develope alot faster/better on raw than processed cra@p