Over the Christmas period i managed to lose my stick whilst out and about one evening....but thats another story! so there i am with out a stick and given that i was waiting in all day for a postal delivery that didnt arrive i thought ide make my new stick.

lurking by the fire side was a nice hazel stick i cut back in October from a local hedgerow,not overly straight,but then i dont like ultra straight stix ,for the collar i used a piece of scrap dimondwood from a catty i made and the stick top was an Exmoor deer crown from a 8 point stag i bagged a couple of years back.

The stick,collar and top were duly drilled with my trusty stanly hand drill,then a section of threaded bar inserted and glued together with epoxy resin.Cup of sweet tea and a bacon butty later and it was good and solid ready for shaping ,and polishing with 0000 wire wool,job done.

So many times i have set a coin in the crown of the antler,this time i thought ide do some carving,after looking in some books i fancied a go at a Tudor rose,this proved a tall order! so first thing this morn i started carving with the dremmel and an ultra fine routing burr having first drawn it out with a pencil,the job started ok but mid way i was very unhappy,and having spent 3 hours on it was a bit disappointed,time for lunch!

Once the pheasant pasty was washed down with a pint of cider i set back to the carving,the cider had had the desired effect and things started going better,after a bit of buggerin about i darkened around the rose with wood dye and bobs yer muvvers bruvva!

DSC00993.jpg

DSC00992.jpg

DSC00994.jpg

DSC00990-1.jpg

thanks for looking.

There is the problem of the lost stick, it's the sweet tea, bacon butty, pheasant pasty and pints of cider.

Nice stick though, very similar to a stick of mine.

You've got yourself a very handy offensive weapon. I always imagined burying mine into someone shoulder and dragging them around........feck I better take some medicine.