What dogs you use ferreting

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my old russell bitch was a brilliant marking dog and where ever she stood i always knew it was where the rabbit would bolt from she rezized at my moms now 12years of age shes erned her retirement gave me some fun when i was a kid good times mooching round like a feral child with a bag of nets ferret in a pump bag and me little rough haired black and white russell following me around what a pair :thumbs:

always preferd lurchers as the have pace to catch bolters if not useing nets whippert grew collie types used saluk types to , and saw several other types used like a dog with pace to catch abunny and cocentraition for waiting for a bolt

Currently go out with a young pure whippet and a middle aged 5/8 38/ grey/collie. The younger dog has a naturaly great nose and started marking at about 6 months, and is good with the ferrets etc, he's still a little eager around the holes but is steadying up nicely, he has also become silent but the last couple of trips i noticed he gives a single whine just before a rabbit bolts, whilst staring at the hole, and i have noticed him following the action under ground. My one complaint at the moment is that he is not very patient if not much is going on and has a habit of wandering off to find the next set or put up rabbits/pheasants in the surrounding cover. This, i hope, will come with age and maturity. The older bitch (owned by johnnyboy68) is a good ferreting dog rather (as has been said) just a dog that goes ferreting. Its more impressive because until the age of about 6 she hadn't done any ferreting and was a lamp dog. She is now a pleasure to watch. She is the most patient dog i have seen, and i've seen her sit for 4 hours while we dug a huge hole one trip in search of a missing collar. She hunts very well, diving into any cover and through hedges to put up rabbits, and marks like a dream. She has enough speed to catch but runs cunning enough to safely work some very dodgy ground. She leaves nets and ferrets well alone, and usually gets to the rabbit first, with a vice like grip. I remember ferreting on a steep bank recently and just as i started to here the rumbling, gem flew past me from above, having launched from the top of the slope, to take the rabbit as it started to leave the hole, before the net even pursed. Top class dog :thumbs: Only complaint i have for myself is she doesnt listen to me in anyway, even now, and for anyone who take her out on their own she would probably just f**k off. She's definatly a one man dog, but thats not a bad thing! :thumbs: Over all the ferreting trips i've done i think i've seen/had decent collies, spaniels, a saluki, collie x's, bitzas, a saluki/whippet, whippets, beddy x, pointer and just about every manner of terrier and terrier x imaginable. I think my ideal team if i could manage all the dogs would be - a couple of terriers (handy for very thick cover and double fenced hedge rows), a whippet (small and good initial acceleration) and a collie x grey (fast as f**k, smart as f**k). Just my thoughts :thumbs:

i have a wheaton/gray x beddy/gray dog, about 16 months and 24" tts. had him just over a month.

been out with the ferrets 4 or 5 times now and coming on really well! soon learned what the ferrets are, picked up a couple that had slipped the net and eyes like a hawk! if a pebble slips down a bank set he is on his feet ready to go. will sometimes run to the hole if the ferret knocks the net but as soon as he realizes its the ferret he backs down and returns to me.

marks holes, he used to try to put his head down and knock off the nets but has soon learned not to. he is steady most of the time and very very quiet. never makes a murmer. he will sit for abit next to me but then he will lay down and keep watching.

may not be other ppl`s idea of a great ferreting dog but for me he is doing just what i want him to.

CIMG0042.jpg

post-53506-0-58102900-1294686825_thumb.jpg

two terriers and my collie/deerhound /beddlington/whippet i dont normally use purse nets when the dogs are with us just stop/gate and longnets depending, i do however think collies make this best markers going ,when i read your other post about your day out and saw the collie on there i wasnt surprised they seem to have all the will to stay interested all day great workers and super intelligent ,on the other hand i do like just ferreting with no dogs just loads of nets but acording to my family the dogs just go mad after they see me leave with the ferret box and dont shut up till they hear the motor pull hahaha

I use three pure kelpies. Their nose is impeccable as is concentration, stamina, constitution etc. They're also great at using their own initiative rather than needing to be told what to do but I have to admit they lack pace for bolters in the open...but as I don't get much "open" around here I'm not too worried.

This question is asked so many times... The question should be who would have the balls to put 500quid on there dog being right every time!!! :whistling::whistling:

I would... hey this could be a good little money earner, lol...

As in - who would put 500 quid that a mark means a rabbit?

This question is asked so many times... The question should be who would have the balls to put 500quid on there dog being right every time!!! :whistling::whistling:

I would... hey this could be a good little money earner, lol...

As in - who would put 500 quid that a mark means a rabbit?

I,ll get ma coat