help with rifle scope will not zero

I have a mate who has raider 10. and the scope is a hawk eclipse ir.

He has mounted the scope but when comes to zero, the sight adjustment is maxed out upwards and this is just hitting the target at 15 yards.

Any ideas why.

Thanks all.

Is it better at say 25 yds? If you figure at very short range the scope has to point down to cross the line the pellet flies on because the scope is above the barrel it makes seance. You don't say what calibre or rifle your using but 25 to 35 yds is often a more appropriate range to zero the sights at. Then learn how much to aim off to nail targets at different ranges.

Let us know how you get on.

H

he's tried that. and on two differnt mounts i forgot to say both rifle and scope are new.

when he is adjusting the scope is the point of impact relevant?

What I mean is, is the actual zero moving?

On 2 scopes now Ive had to give them a sharp tap to free them inside, I had a Zeiss that you could screw one way then the other and the zero would not change.

he's tried that. and on two differnt mounts i forgot to say both rifle and scope are new.

when he is adjusting the scope is the point of impact relevant?

What I mean is, is the actual zero moving?

On 2 scopes now Ive had to give them a sharp tap to free them inside, I had a Zeiss that you could screw one way then the other and the zero would not change.

And I would of sent that zeiss straight back as that cant be tolerated on them high price scopes.If it cant bite to adjust hows it gonna hold zero?

Mate hawkes are quite cheap,it could be a manufacturing fault.

I would take it back asap but you may have a problem as you have mounted it.

Take it back.take both back to make sure it aint the gun too,could be the pellets.

Edited by HEAD SHOT

The reason it does it is called barrel droop.

It's caused by the barrel pointed downwards slightly and is commen so don't panic.

It happens lots on air rifles and sometimes is caused by the barrel sitting in the action area a 100th of a mil low, yet again no problem.

Some scopes are also designed for centre fire rifles so are not normally zeroed at air rifle ranges and have not much elevation adjustment. In this scopes case its doesnt matter as its a air rifle scope so droop must be the cause.

To get around this error do the following.

Remove the scope from the lower mount.

Using some old 32mm camera negative, cut 2 pieces that will sit in the bottom of you REAR MOUNT only under the scope but only on the rear mount i stress again. (this lowers the scopes line of sight (LOS)to meet its lower impact once put back together).

Centre both your windage and elevation turrets and then sit the scope back on the lower mount and fit the top mount covers.

You should now have the scope mounted with the rear mount only slightly raised by the camera negative.

Go and zero and you will be fixed.

If you are still low repeat the process by adding 1 more piece of negative at a time.

Si

Edited by zini
  • Like 1

It's caused by the barrel pointed downwards slightly and is commen so don't panic.

It happens lots on air rifles and sometimes is caused by the barrel sitting in the action area a 100th of a mil low, yet again no problem.

Some scopes are also designed for centre fire rifles so are not normally zeroed at air rifle ranges and have not much elevation adjustment. In this scopes case its doesnt matter as its a air rifle scope so droop must be the cause.

Using some old 32mm camera negative, cut 2 pieces that will sit in the bottom of you REAR MOUNT only under the scope but only on the rear mount i stress again. (this lowers the scopes line of sight (LOS)to meet its lower impact once put back together).

Centre both your windage and elevation turrets and then sit the scope back on the lower mount and fit the top mount covers.

You should now have the scope mounted with the rear mount only slightly raised by the camera negative.

If you are still low repeat the process by adding 1 more piece of negative at a time.

Si

ive done this on a couple of scopes it does work good info :thumbs:

Hi Ozzie,

Yes it will work every time mate.

It’s called shimming or packing a rear mount.

Tasco rifle scopes, the ones sent from China are renowned for needing shimming especially when used in conjunction with a sub 12 Ft / lb, .22 calibre air rifle.

I know first hand because my mate Festa and my old one needed shimming on our .22’s.

Another test that I do before I even mount my new scope is to put it in some mounts and rest it in a work mate (protected with cloth) so it don’t get damaged.

Put a mark on the wall or tape some A4 to the wall with a tiny dot on it and align the scopes cross hair up once its centred with the tiny dot on the A4.

Tighten the work mate up and then adjust the elevation turrets up and down to ensure that the POA is moving freely and then the windage turret left and right to ensure the POA is moving left and right correctly.

Once this all works then mount the scope using a plum bob and spirit levels for total alignment hence aiding long range shots and hold over aim points on the vertical reticule.

Si

my mate had the same problem he too it to the shop and they re-packed the mounts n tht dint work so they gave him a new scope but tht dint work but [bANNED TEXT] they re-packed the mount for the new scope it was bang on . its worth a try

DEE

Si

hi Si

and this is the reason ,why you should still pop in for :thumbs:

regards

davy