About To Put In For My Irish FAC

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Frank; Dean's running me out to 'his' gun shop tomorrow. I might end up buying a cabinet there and then ~ and starving! :laugh:

Good craic is; I'm so vehement about using a Good cabinet that it seems I've talked Dean into seriously upgrading his own 'wash room locker' type affair. Thus he's made me a deal: I buy a decent cabinet. Install it here and go for my rifle. K? Then, in the dreadful event that I should get a knock back and so be lumbered with a deep cabinet and no gun? He'll buy the thing straight off me and use it himself! :good: See? Teaching these native youngsters some good lessons around guns already, me! :D

Anyway, if I get the lock up? I only need catch up with my neighbours and book a cab to Carrick. Why? Ye gonna come and hold my hand? Bit of moral support and show I know the right people? ;)

Macnas; My own hearing's long since f*cked, mate. Deaf as a door post in my right ear, due to tinnatus :( I've actually become that older guy who cups his ear to the post office counter window, then searches for his glasses to read what they've asked him to sign! :icon_eek: But my concern, as said, is about upsetting the neighbourhood. We all live in pretty well isolated cottages round here. I know I wouldn'd cherish hearing gun shots at 2 am and not knowing what was going on out there. I'll look deeper into moderators, comes the time.

Oh, and don't worry about my 'scope! :laugh: I'm aware that the Wildlife Act forbids the use of 'Night Vision' equipment. I wasn't considering any of that fancy, Thousands worth of ruskie Image Intensifying stuff. Just a regular 'scope with the best ambient light gathering capabilities. I.e. I'd be concentrating on searching for one with a whack off big objective lens and more concerned with light gathering than anything else. I believe such 'scopes exist? Read about them ages ago so figure they're probably considered third rate by now and thus won't cost That much more?

I Loved my Lazer, must admit. But I doubt I could get one that'd be worth its salt out to 150 yards? Only I used to just use the scope to get a clear look at my target, then aim with the Lazer. Never bothered with the cross hairs.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:good: Cheers for that, mate. Sounds right up my street then. I knew I needed the bigger Objectice lens and, frankly, I don't like fiddling with 'scope settings anyway - because I don't really understand them! :whistle:

Obviously, I'll be using a Lamp to spot the buggers with. It's just that, when I settle down to take that shot, I want to be clear in my own mind just where his head's got to. As long as I can still define that little wedge, I know where I'll be wanting to place that round. I've skinned out that many foxes heads in my time, I have an almost disgusting familiarity with their skulls and know exactly where the brain mass lies. I'm not into shooting their snouts off :icon_eek:

Carrick-On-Shannon Garda station, have been known to be awkawrd with firearms prossecing in the past, back in the 90's, but i think their is a new Super their, so it might of improoved since.

Was it Trapper Johns you were at for your rifle Ditch? Big place their :icon_eek: , lotsa different rifles on the shelf so to speak. :blink::D

Frank.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Frank; It was Movihills, over at Ballymohon, I finally visited and handed the cash over to. But I did ring TJ's. Hear a Lot about that place and would very much like to visit there some day :) One other place offered me a Sako which deeply interested me. But that was 550, 'scoped. I was on the point of going for that when I got the 300 offer and thought, 'What the hell'.

Carrick does rather bother me, mate. You know my own 'local' town. The Gards there seem to know me. My regular taxi driver once took a call from them as he was standing beside me. I didn't know who he was talking to when he said, " I'm just about to take Ditch Shitter, the Pest Controler, home. " Then he hung up and said it had been the Garda, wanting him to pick up a drunk! :icon_eek: I was aghast! They knew my full name That well???

But those would be the boys who've, no doubt, marked my activity and bearing around the town. They'd know what sort of guy I am and may well have spoken to me, off duty, without my knowing who they are. In short; I 'Live' in Their beat. But my cottage just happens to be less than a mile outside their juris diction and that mile inside Carrick's huge area. To Carrick I'll be presenting as some freshly arrived nobody, living out in their hinterlands and asking to be armed. It's also a little disturbing that I happen to live just down the road from a fellow brit who's a world class piece of scum. WELL Known to Carrick Gardae! If they should ever suspect I have anything to do with that one? Forget It! (Ironically; He owns several shot guns and has a record as long as their combined barrels! Go figure!)

Macnas; Eh? Sorry ....? :laugh: F*cking Murder, isn't it? I spend my entire life now, listening to a f*cking DC10 taxi up the run way. Wish to hell the damn thing would just take off and leave me in peace!

Oddly enough, I discovered this through my former Birding activities. I found I was simply and steadily losing the ability to hear the vocalisations of various birds! Once stood there and stared at a Wood Warbler, three foot in front of my face, as it's little mouth opened and moved in complete silence. Not A Peep! People with me were telling me how it was singing it's little head off! Me? DC f*cking 10! :cry:

Getting old's a bitch, isn't it? Simple things we once took for granted; Like being able to fart as we had a piss and not have to worry about ..... Well ... Ye'll know what I mean! :icon_eek::laugh:

If they know you for good things Ditch and know your a harmless sorta fella, your well on your way mate. ;)

Its a lot to do with the gift of the gab, let them know what you do and explain how you need this rifle and try and get some of your neighbours to prehaps ring them up and say how they are suffereing from foxes ect.

Thats if they are willing to do that, or they can have it in wrighting instead.

I tell you what, Carrick-On-Shannon has grown an awfull lot in the past 10 years, i remember it as a small village :blink::icon_eek:

If that Sako was a Hornet, i would personally have snaped it up, as Sako Hornets are as rare as hens teeth. :yes: In good condition, they are priceless sir. :o

Frank.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Frank; I was That close to taking the Sako, mate. Maybe I should've thought to ask him how much without the 'scope? Maybe I Did??? I was on my feet and on my mobile at the time ~ I'm never at my best when marching along the road shouting at and trying to listen to these damn things. I was just ringing, talking, listening, thinking ..... ringing. All a bit hectic and aimed simply at shaving the costs off. What with the cabinet, price of the Application and horrendous taxi fares, to travel thirty miles to meet these people ....? It all adds up in a long months budget! :(

I'll have the guys number stuffed into one of my jacket pockets though. If ye feel ye may be interested in knowing more about that particular rifle, just let me know. If ye just passing me a bit of advice /opinion and don't actually have room for it yeself? Fair comment and thanks anyway :good:

Personally, I'm starting to feel comfortable with the thought that this beast I have my finger on would be a good place for me to start anyway. Rough as a badgers foreskin. Sort of tool I need, rather than some item to be treasured and worried over.

Anyway, if I get this thing, it'll give me something to look foreward to ~ and earn through the work I get done with it ;)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Small update here; Dean said he'd take me to visit 'His' gun shop today. The one he uses. Guess what? :laugh:

But anyway, as we were there, obviously Dean asked to see 'my' rifle and so Dave got it out for us ..... :unsure: ..... the rifle, obviously.

Must admit, having been a bit more relaxed today and having well and truly handled the thing, I'm a Lot happier about it :)

It's actually no where near as short as I'd remembered. Not a long, thin thing. But certainly long enough that I can mount it and will be able to aim ok.

It's Not that heavy either. I mean, no one'd want to be standing around with it to their shoulder all day. But, with my left elbow braced against my chest, I feel I could hold on target.

All in all then? I'd really be perfectly happy to own this tool :) Maybe I was a bit harsh on it, earlier?

Incidentally; 'We' chose a gun cabinet. 195 E's will get a nice, strong little job. I'd say it could hold maybe three long guns. It has the whacking great, sliding bolt rods that I'd insist on :good: Saving just fifty E would have brought us right down to some heavy duty wash room locker with just a five lever sort of lock and lots of lovely, open area to smash a 'bar into and rip the damn thing wide open! Amazing the differance just a few quid can make!

But, as I was explaining to my other mate here, Tom, tonight; How could I live with myself if I came home one night to find my cabinet ripped open and my rifle gone. Only to learn, the next day, he'd been shot to death with it? It's Not about protecting my measly investment. It's about ensuring the safety of those around me.

Can't remember the brand name on my one. But it begins with an " I " ? I'm sure you Irish boys will be familiar.

Must just say though; Dean and I both fell in love with " The carpeted number " :tongue2: Four hundred E's. " Buffallo ". It probably held half a dozen longs. Had an internal strong box for ye ammo. Massive bolts, sides, top and bottom. And, yeppers; Fully lined out in deep, green carpet! Oh mannn! :wub:

As I said at the time; " I could f*cking Live in there! :icon_eek: "

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Infac! That'll be the kiddies, Frank. Cheers, mate :good: Nice safes, no?

Macnas; I find that surprising, mate. Like, how little would ye be willing to shell out, mate?! I found this Infac a very nice piece, at under 200. Yet the 150 ones - as I remember, of either make? - were crap!

But, once ye get above the poltry excuse for a " Gun Safe ", contradiction in terms level stuff, I was really not looking at names but prices and quality. Couldn't honestly see much in it. INFAC or BUFFALLO, all seemed like beauties to me. And - maybe I've not much to compare to? But - I found the prices perfectly agreeable.

I mean, let's face it; Ye buy a decent sized one, especially, and ye have it for life. Like, ye never going to drop it or knock it and break the thing. Nothing's ever going to go wrong or wear out on it. Sound investment, I'd say :)

Just wish I could afford to invest in that Gorgeous, huge Buff' one with the carpeting! By christ, That impressed me! :D