when is the best time of year for decoying pigeons ?

when is the best timeof year for decoy shooting at pigeons , thanks

i think the easiest time would be when the crops are up in the summer and we have had rain and got flat /laid crops watch for the birds coming on to them and then set your magnet and flaper up on the laid patch you dont need decoys and you should have a good bag 200/300+ birds .... but till then look for birds fliting over your permission and decoy them ......this way your geting a lot of traffic over you decoys good look :thumbs: and keep at them .... ps if thay are on the feild at this time of year you not going to get much sport set up 2feilds away on the flight line :thumbs:

your magnet and flaper up on the laid patch you should have a good bag 200/300+ birds

You make it sound easy, just put a magnet on a bit of laid corn and you should shoot 200/300. You must shoot on a different planet to me and most people who regulary decoy pigeons.

I have always found that fresh spring drillings are the best bet for a bag,but these days the drills dont leave much corn laid on top so you have to be quick to get after them and get at them before too much has been drilled or they have too much to go at. At the moment you may see big flocks on the rape but dont be fooled into thinking that you will shoot big bags because more often than not they wll clear off to a different field and not return once you have had a few shots. Whatever time of year I always watch the field and will set up the next day BEFORE first light to get the best chance of a bag. I have seen so many people setting up at 11am and pushing pigeons off their field when if they had set up early they would have been able to have shot the first lot when they come off the roost.

Good luck

David

your magnet and flaper up on the laid patch you should have a good bag 200/300+ birds

You make it sound easy, just put a magnet on a bit of laid corn and you should shoot 200/300. You must shoot on a different planet to me and most people who regulary decoy pigeons.

I have always found that fresh spring drillings are the best bet for a bag,but these days the drills dont leave much corn laid on top so you have to be quick to get after them and get at them before too much has been drilled or they have too much to go at. At the moment you may see big flocks on the rape but dont be fooled into thinking that you will shoot big bags because more often than not they wll clear off to a different field and not return once you have had a few shots. Whatever time of year I always watch the field and will set up the next day BEFORE first light to get the best chance of a bag. I have seen so many people setting up at 11am and pushing pigeons off their field when if they had set up early they would have been able to have shot the first lot when they come off the roost.

Good luck

David

:signthankspin: have you tried this time of year son ........you have a lot of young birds that are a bit green so its like cheating.....but give it a go you may be suprised.....:thumbs: ps i shot 4 days a week ...so not on a diffrent a planet just done a bit

:signthankspin: have you tried this time of year son ........you have a lot of young birds that are a bit green so its like cheating.....but give it a go you may be suprised.....:thumbs: ps i shot 4 days a week ...so not on a diffrent a planet just dune a bit

Yes I have shot at that time of year,.....son. I have shot a lot of pigeons on laid corn over the years, but to say that by sticking out a magnet you should shoot 200/300 is a bit of an exageration isnt it. Yes it can all come right and you may have a big bag like that,but what about all the times that you get just 20/30? Or do you only get big bags,if so Id be interested in seeing it done by an expert :notworthy::notworthy:

:signthankspin: have you tried this time of year son ........you have a lot of young birds that are a bit green so its like cheating.....but give it a go you may be suprised.....:thumbs: ps i shot 4 days a week ...so not on a diffrent a planet just dune a bit

Yes I have shot at that time of year,.....son. I have shot a lot of pigeons on laid corn over the years, but to say that by sticking out a magnet you should shoot 200/300 is a bit of an exageration isnt it. Yes it can all come right and you may have a big bag like that,but what about all the times that you get just 20/30? Or do you only get big bags,if so Id be interested in seeing it done by an expert :notworthy::notworthy:

the lad asked the best time of year to decoying pigeons..........so the most porductive time of the year for a begginer would be at this time verey little field craft and if the birds are there shud be a good bag and i no not every one has alot of birds in there area for get at times ...have fun :thumbs:

Just because you are out doing something 4 x a weeks doesnt mean you are any good at it .

you say set up deeks 2 fields away from flight line nonesence even the best pattern in the world will not bring in birds like you say ....if they are not working the field they wont come in

Just because you are out doing something 4 x a weeks doesnt mean you are any good at it .

you say set up deeks 2 fields away from flight line nonesence even the best pattern in the world will not bring in birds like you say ....if they are not working the field they wont come in

There is not 1 best time of the year but differant time through out the year .

In the winter during snow will concentrate pigeons where food is above snow

spring time over drill

summer on flattened crop

late summer when the first fields are combined ...but when there is plenty of stubble they move about and have too much choice to have big numbers in the bag

you got any pics of your 200-300 bird days x38?

Edited by MOO

:doh:on the flight line you plum read what i put go back down the line !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes i will get the photo bucket when we get back just for you :thumbs:

i think the easiest time would be when the crops are up in the summer and we have had rain and got flat /laid crops watch for the birds coming on to them and then set your magnet and flaper up on the laid patch you dont need decoys and you should have a good bag 200/300+ birds .... but till then look for birds fliting over your permission and decoy them ......this way your geting a lot of traffic over you decoys good look :thumbs: and keep at them .... ps if thay are on the feild at this time of year you not going to get much sport set up 2feilds away on the flight line :thumbs:

caan you explain as I dont get this part

if thay are on feild A go back up the flight line ot feild C so the birds are going over your decoys<feeding feild .................you .......................roosed wood> now do you get it you get the traffic both ways on the flight line :thumbs:

if thay are on feild A go back up the flight line ot feild C so the birds are going over your decoys<feeding feild .................you .......................roosed wood> now do you get it you get the traffic both ways on the flight line :thumbs:

clear as mud :blink:

Ok

mate pretty much a flight is the road the birds take to and from feeding areas.

Having decoys under you flight line will bring the birds down into them providing your on the field the birds are feeding on.

If you are four fields away from the flightline the birds won't see your decoys and inturn won't come and decoy in.

Hope it helps

atb

sg