punctured lung can dog recover to work again

my lurcher bitch got hit by a jeep not fast a enough,thought the dog was fcuk ,i had 2 carry at it home took 2 the vets and it puctured its lung ,could,nt run the dog for about 3 months ,had walk the dog on the lead for a good 6 weeks ,and then another 6 weeks 2 get her fit again or so ,that was 5 year ago she now seven ,and still going strong ,its mad because it was 1 of her ribbs that pucture her lung but no breaks ,i was very lucky ,the dog should be fine if you keep it the recovery time it needs , :thumbs:

Many years ago my Deer/Grey crashed into the far side of a huge ditch and ruptured her lung: took her 3 months to recover. My OH had a Whippety lurcher who snapped a rib which punctured her lung. Both dogs almost died at the time, but both went on to make a full recovery and carried on working into old age. Lungs heal very well providing they have not been contaminated by foreign object taking dirt into the lung. Good luck.

Without seeing the xrays it impossible to be sure but one would expect some permanent damage to the lung, amount will depend on the extent of the original injury, but as long as there were no complications and not to much in the way of residual changes then it should work again. Time is the best healer as you don't want to push the system and cause further damage and bear in mind it is not uncommon to get a little refilling after the drain is removed, usually it is minor although occasionally it need re draining. Id not think about working till next season and spend the rest of the winter active/gentle recovery then depending on progress the summer can be spent getting the fitness back ready for the off. Even with a small amount of reduced lung capacity the remainder is still plenty as over heating or fatigue usually limit exercise well before lung capacity, most of the panting is for cooling rather than gas exchange.

Good luck s :thumbs: .

Edited by sandymere

Thanks for your replies, dogs doin fine will give him rest till early feb. It was the impact of car which punctured the lung as no broken ribs were shown on x ray. Its a good job we got him insured as vet bill came to £850. I fink they charge what they like once they know you are coverd.

I know this ain't a dog but a relative off mine got a puntured lung by a stabbing and he recovered this year okay,just took time.The same with a few mates who've had the same treatment all recovered fine.can't see why a dogs lung any different.