Spring air rifle shooting.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ladies and Gentlemen.   This is a case for the oldest, noblest and, in my humble opinion, the finest sporting air rifle type of all. The spring-piston powered air rifle. Yes, PCPs are accurate; som

Great post!!   I've been shooting for a couple of years now, completely self taught, and its great to hear advice like this! Its all very basic but absolutely spot on. With out the basics your skill

Another photo.

Posted Images

Chris/Thursodog, thanks for your kind response and welcome to the best section of all mate :thumbs:

I have an HW80 standard and an HW80K pair in .22 calibre and they are both FAC tuned with Titan springs to around 20 ft/lbs.

They shoot a dream on H&N Field Target Trophy. Washed and lightly lubed with a thin coat of WD40.

I'm so often tempted to get back to rimfire and centrefire rifles but, these HW80s are amazingly accurate and reliable workhorses for everything I'm likely to encounter on my permission and really all I need for when a hard hitting, accurate shot is needed. They are a truly lovely rifle for FAC performance air rifle hunting.

The best of sporting shooting with yours Chris.

All the best.

Simon

Thanks Simon,

All the best with your shooting too.

I reckon the springers are the only guns with individual characters and i just love my HW80 even more since sticking in a titen spring and homemade piston liner. i'll be giving those trophy pellets a go this weekend for the pigeons, crows and rabbits.

Can't get excited as much with my rim and centre fires and never will.

All the best Chris.

Thanks Fry mate.

To be honest I just give the PCP lads a bit of a ribbing over the high prices they seem to have had to shell out for a rifle that is no more accurate than a top quality spring rifle. There are some amazing rifles in PCP action but, a top springer handles and feels better to me.

After over 40 years of shooting spring air rifles and being an absolute nut for Air Arms TX200s and FAC HW80s, I finally bought myself an HW77 in December last year. It's accuracy straight out of the box is astonishing.

AndyFR1968 on here is a close mate and regular shooting pal. He also happens to be a very knowledgeable former gunsmith who really knows his stuff where spring rifles are concerned. After running-in my HW77 he took it away to work a bit of magic on it. A week later he returned with the rifle absolutely smoothed out, trigger set to perfection, action quietly crisp and smooth in cocking. All the stiffness of a new gun removed.

I've matched it against my TX200 rifle in an honest-as-possible test, affter Andy worked his magic on that rifle too. The TX is as beautiful and accurate as you'd expect. It is also amazingly consistent over the chrono, just 2 fps variation has been recorded on two seperate occasions.

But the HW77 shades it where long range shooting goes. It puts a genuine one hole pellet group on a target at 45 metres within a 5p size disc, where the TX200 hits a raggy hole inside a penny. That's all the accuracy you'd need for hunting from both guns, but the 77 holds it's accuracy out to much further ranges while the TX200 starts to spread it's group a little.

Maybe it's a different handling characteristic, or perhaps there's another pellet make/type out there that will even up the rifles again but, the HW77, for now, is the top gun in my collection.

Can't recommend the 77 highly enough!

Simon

Very good write up mate :thumbs: i,ve bought an older 77 and just can,t get on with it,kicks like a donkey,i have a few differnt guns,spring,gasram and precharged,the 77 stays in the cupboard. :icon_redface:

Thanks Fry mate.

To be honest I just give the PCP lads a bit of a ribbing over the high prices they seem to have had to shell out for a rifle that is no more accurate than a top quality spring rifle. There are some amazing rifles in PCP action but, a top springer handles and feels better to me.

After over 40 years of shooting spring air rifles and being an absolute nut for Air Arms TX200s and FAC HW80s, I finally bought myself an HW77 in December last year. It's accuracy straight out of the box is astonishing.

AndyFR1968 on here is a close mate and regular shooting pal. He also happens to be a very knowledgeable former gunsmith who really knows his stuff where spring rifles are concerned. After running-in my HW77 he took it away to work a bit of magic on it. A week later he returned with the rifle absolutely smoothed out, trigger set to perfection, action quietly crisp and smooth in cocking. All the stiffness of a new gun removed.

I've matched it against my TX200 rifle in an honest-as-possible test, affter Andy worked his magic on that rifle too. The TX is as beautiful and accurate as you'd expect. It is also amazingly consistent over the chrono, just 2 fps variation has been recorded on two seperate occasions.

But the HW77 shades it where long range shooting goes. It puts a genuine one hole pellet group on a target at 45 metres within a 5p size disc, where the TX200 hits a raggy hole inside a penny. That's all the accuracy you'd need for hunting from both guns, but the 77 holds it's accuracy out to much further ranges while the TX200 starts to spread it's group a little.

Maybe it's a different handling characteristic, or perhaps there's another pellet make/type out there that will even up the rifles again but, the HW77, for now, is the top gun in my collection.

Simon

Very good write up mate :thumbs: i,ve bought an older 77 and just can,t get on with it,kicks like a donkey,i have a few differnt guns,spring,gasram and precharged,the 77 stays in the cupboard. :icon_redface:

Hi, Torchey.

Something's not right with your 77 if it's like that, mate. There's three things that are the most likely cause..... 1, it's been over-sprung, they really don't respond well to that, it ruins them. 2, the breach seals gone so it's loseing compression and causing the piston to slam into the end of the cylinder. 3, the piston seal's gone tits up causing the same problem as a failed breach seal.

I'm assuming it's not dieseling if you've other springers, so I guess you've already checked for that.

If there's anything I can do to help, feel free to ask :thumbs:

Cheers.

Thanks Fry mate.

Simon

Hi, Torchey.

Something's not right with your 77 if it's like that, mate. There's three things that are the most likely cause..... 1, it's been over-sprung, they really don't respond well to that, it ruins them. 2, the breach seals gone so it's loseing compression and causing the piston to slam into the end of the cylinder. 3, the piston seal's gone tits up causing the same problem as a failed breach seal.

I'm assuming it's not dieseling if you've other springers, so I guess you've already checked for that.

If there's anything I can do to help, feel free to ask :thumbs:

Cheers.

Cheers Andy,but you,ve already lost me on the dieseling mate :icon_redface: i mostly use a rapid 7 now so i don,t know if its that i am so used to using precharged and i haven,t shot another 77 to compare it with :thumbs:

That's definately a most unwell HW77 Torchey. If you shot with mine, you'd never give it back!

Dieselling occurs when an excess of lube oil is ignited in areas where actual massive air compression is released into the breech. Like the transfer port, inside the breech or behind the pellet itself. It results in a surge of power and a stream of blue smoke. Both of which is not doing your shooting or your rifle any favours.

Thanks for your compliments on my thread and get in touch with Andy here. He'll have it sorted out and shooting perfectly in no time.

Simon

Edited by pianoman

What Simon's said!! :laugh:

Have a shot with it and see if there's any smoke in the barrel afterwards. If there is then the only reliable fix is to strip it down and de-grease the cylinder. Don't be tempted to spray solvent into the cylinder through the transfer port, that could end very badly the next time it's fired :icon_eek::D

They're a doddle to work on, if you need any help just ask on here or send me a PM.

Have a shot with it and see if there's any smoke in the barrel afterwards. If there is then the only reliable fix is to strip it down and de-grease the cylinder. Don't be tempted to spray solvent into the cylinder through the transfer port, that could end very badly the next time it's fired :icon_eek::D

They're a doddle to work on, if you need any help just ask on here or send me a PM.

I haven,t seen any smoke in the barrel,tbh i,m gutted there is something wrong with it ,i thought its just the way they shot with quite a heavy recoil, i was trying to sell it aswell :( is it worth getting tuned up and keeping and if so what sort of money do you think it would cost..Thanks Brian

I haven,t seen any smoke in the barrel,tbh i,m gutted there is something wrong with it ,i thought its just the way they shot with quite a heavy recoil, i was trying to sell it aswell :( is it worth getting tuned up and keeping and if so what sort of money do you think it would cost..Thanks Brian

They're normally one of the nicest springers to shoot with, Brian, and my best guess would be that someone's fitted a daft OX mainspring at some point, they nearly always spoil whatever they're fitted to.

As for cost, a proper HW service kit will set you back about £35 but check that, it's a while since I've used one. As for fitting you'll have to check with your local gun shops for price if you don't fancy a DIY fit, or if you pay for postage and parts, I'll do the job properly for you for nothing. PM me anytime if that's what you want to do :thumbs:

They're normally one of the nicest springers to shoot with, Brian, and my best guess would be that someone's fitted a daft OX mainspring at some point, they nearly always spoil whatever they're fitted to.

As for cost, a proper HW service kit will set you back about £35 but check that, it's a while since I've used one. As for fitting you'll have to check with your local gun shops for price if you don't fancy a DIY fit, or if you pay for postage and parts, I'll do the job properly for you for nothing. PM me anytime if that's what you want to do :thumbs:

For someone ive never met before ,thats a top gesture mate :thumbs: much appreciated,i might take you up on your offer but would pay for it.. thanks Brian...

For someone ive never met before ,thats a top gesture mate :thumbs: much appreciated,i might take you up on your offer but would pay for it.. thanks Brian...

The price of a pint, Brian. no more :D

If you shot with mine, you'd never give it back!

I can agree with that! Simon's is such a lovely rifle,

II think that when mine was serviced it had an OX spring put in it, :cray: But its not shooting too bad at all at the moment. Its still one hell of a hunting tool :thumbs: I would never consider of selling it.

Best of look with it mate ;)

Regards

Dean

Edit: Because I cant spell :whistling:

Edited by deano26