Spring air rifle shooting.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ladies and Gentlemen.   This is a case for the oldest, noblest and, in my humble opinion, the finest sporting air rifle type of all. The spring-piston powered air rifle. Yes, PCPs are accurate; som

Great post!!   I've been shooting for a couple of years now, completely self taught, and its great to hear advice like this! Its all very basic but absolutely spot on. With out the basics your skill

Another photo.

Posted Images

Thanks Chris and Mikey.

I wrote it with the younger novices and general beginner in mind. I'm not at war against the darkside PCP but, I think a lot of shooters miss out on a very rewarding shooting experience that spring rifles deliver. And I wonder if the Spring Rifle has lost out in further improving developement to the R&D that has been lavished on PCP rifle technology???

Thanks again for taking the time to read it fellas :thumbs:

Simon

• Like 2

Thanks Chris and Mikey.

I wrote it with the younger novices and general beginner in mind. I'm not at war against the darkside PCP but, I think a lot of shooters miss out on a very rewarding shooting experience that spring rifles deliver. And I wonder if the Spring Rifle has lost out in further improving developement to the R&D that has been lavished on PCP rifle technology???

Thanks again for taking the time to read it fellas :thumbs:

Simon

Great post!!

I've been shooting for a couple of years now, completely self taught, and its great to hear advice like this! Its all very basic but absolutely spot on. With out the basics your skill level will top out at a certain level, with the basics mastered then your skill level will continue to improve!

I love to read posts like this, and find them extremely helpful reminders of what I should be doing!

Thanks for putting in the time to write such advice, i'm sure its appreciated by novice and experienced riflemen.

ATB

Phil

• Like 4

Thanks very much indeed Phil.

As you will appreciate, spring rifles differ slightly in their handling characteristics from one makers type and design to the next so, the techniques I use to shoot my HW77 and HW80 are a little different in their observations to my TX200 for example. But being able to note a rifles handling and adapt a proven basic technique is what I use to get the maximum accuracy out of the rifle and myself. What I wrote was the very least you should know first -hand for correct handling. Keeping your contact with the rifle light and unrestrictive but not so much that it's allowed to randomely move in your hands as consistently as possible. That's where practice and a top quality 2-stage adjustable trigger like the Weihrauch Rekord or Air Arms CD so well proves time and money well spent.

When you can lighten the trigger pull to a crisp, predictable let-off without upsetting the fine ballance and control you set up with the rifle at your shoulder, AND set up each shot as consistently close as the last one, you'll group 10 pellets into a penny at 50 metres just as surely as a PCP costing 3 times the price.

All the very best for your spring rifle shooting Phil :thumbs:

Simon

hi simon

great post :thumbs:

a lot of .22 cal you have and one .177 cal which do you prefer to shoot????

i use to own a tx200hc .22 and regret selling it :censored: so if you ever get rid of yours let me know :thumbs:

have to disagree with pcp's jamming or grit getting in to em though,if you look after you rifle and give it the respect it deserves then you should have no problems with it,apart from a service once a year,and it getting low on air :thumbs:

but will not take away how good it is to still use a springer rifle,that's why I am still looking for a decent replacement, I have a BSA meteor .22 which I tuned up and now use it on rats,but like you say cheap air guns cheap parts.so I don't take this past 25yds

very good read

SPA :thumbs:

regards

davy

Hi Davy.

Thanks so much for your post and comments here mate. You know how first impressions last the longest? I have several mates who shoot their pcps over the same land and every time I see them out, seems there's one of them going home early with a rifle that's failed in some way. Of course it's possibly down to less than proper care and maintainance but, the fields are very dry and the soils are very dusty and it seems to give the pcp guns a bit of a hard time. There are seemingly no end of these guns in for repairs at my gunsmiths but, that is likely down to the fact that there are more of these sold than spring rifles. ;) I doubt I'll be selling one of my guns yet mate, as I love what I have and they all have a purpose to my way of shooting. The .22s are just great. I really love them for the way they can accurately take any corvid, pidgeon squirrel, rat or Rabbit with an accurate headshot and that's the end of them! As you well know, it's just a matter of learning the loop of their trajectories at set ranges.

I got the TX200HC in .177 as I heard it was blisteringly accurate in this calibre and I was buying the TX200 standard rifle in .22 anyway. And as with everything in life, "not to try is not to know". It took me quite a while before I could hit anything with it but, once I sussed out the right hold-on-aim technique for it, what a supremely accurate hunter! No wonder it's winning the HFT spring rifle events. It's been tuned to higher power on my FAC and I use it expressly for rabbit and Mink. Your a highly experienced shooter Davy mate and frankly, you rate a better rifle than the old BSA meteor, so you'll know what you should be looking for as far as your ideal springer should be :thumbs:

This new year I'm going back into competition shooting, possibly with Pontefract Air Rifle club. I've been out of the circuit for years and I'd like to get back in the .22 Spring Rifle Class with the new HW77; with a .177 TXHC or HW77 for the nationals and internationals. It would be wonderful to be able to hold a spring rifle title or two before I've got to hang up my shooting gloves :thumbs:

ATB

Simon

not more a word of truth said :) very nice write-up and very true

Except the part "bla bla bla (they are)" are the only decent rifle's I'd vouch for my SMK BS19 anyday, and prefer it over shooting with my brothers HW35 :) although i do like a good weirauch

Very very very nice

Trev

• Like 1

Enjoyable read nice info and detail I could almost feel the rifle, this and a few other posts and a couple of dvd's I have seen recently have re-kindled something inside me and I have a feeling a nice springer maybe joining my pcp, hopefull get my supersport back of my grandad aswel, sometime next year, fixed and serviced, the gun was my dads and is a joy to shoot, the years have been kind to it, it looks good and shoots great, I can't wait to get it back.

.atb. .ste.

• Like 1

Mikey, Wurz, Ste, Treganin and Trev.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to read my thread lads. My previous encounter with SMK Trev, was a few chinese B2 type air rifles which were bloody horrible. They have improved things dramatically since they began copying the Weihrauch HW99 and HW95K as far as looks and handling go. I found the metalwork and blueing to be better quality but, a bit second division still. But, I'm told the accuracy of their barrels is excellent nowadays. If this rifle fits you better than your brother's HW35 you can shoot more accurately and effectively with one, then you probably have good gun-fit with this rifle and thus, you will perform well with it. Maybe I'll answer Treganin's request and post a note about gun-fit, which covers the all-important scope-fit of the rifle to the shooter.

I'm dying to write a review of my new HW77 but that's going to wait until I get a second crack at getting it to Tony Wall at Sandwell Field Sports for his tuning magic to be worked on it. I'm shooting it in, while the weather is poor so I can better judge the level of improvement his work should bring to the rifle. For now, it has my faithfull old Bushnell Scopechief 4-14X50 scope fitted and, my God; it's so good on target accuracy I'm going to have to force myself to take out my other spring rifles to keep them running sweet this coming year!

Mikey, it would be great to meet up over a pint at a shooting match! Sure I'll let you know where mate. :toast:

Ste get that BSA Supersport crackin buddy, and get your skills back with it too. It'll really tell you how much you've changed your instincts when you return to shooting a spring rifle, if you've been shooting exclusively with a PCP for some considerable time. You'll soon get your hold technique sorted and, it'll improve your pcp shooting too. :thumbs:

All the very best to you all Gentlemen.

Simon

Edited by pianoman

Ive had air rifles for around 30 years or so cuttin my teath on BSA mecury's,airsporter,s and Webley omega's and the like.

During these 30 odd years apart from a few years break from them ive had many rifles through my hands including a good few quality pre-charged rifles,last one being HW100K...as fine a allround air rifle you will find imo.

But the funny thing is ive came full circle and have sold off all my rifles and find myself with one rifle that being a brummie Webley Stingray tuned by Tony Wall at SFS...a good wee solid springer which is nothing special but a good tool for vermin in my hands which i enjoy using anytime i lift it with a pocketfull of pellets and go just as i did many years ago with a similar type of rifle i used back in the day.

The draw to air rifles thats kept me using and enjoying them for many years now is without doubt the challenge of mastering and shooting spring guns well as ive always found the all singin and dancing pc guns very sterile and actually quite boring to tell you the truth and nowhere near as satisfying when you pull off a nice clean head shot at 40 yards or so :thumbs:

• Like 1