Longnetting

Was told this story a few years ago,it's about longnetting in the pre mixy years.

Four brothers,all experienced netters went out one night when there was a serious blow on,having had numerous drops with much success they called it a night with ninty nine and a half couple [199] rabbits.

Well one of the brothers was a bit peeved that they were 1 short of 100 couple,the rest however told him they were finished for the night.

The van was loaded and off they went home with the disgruntled brother driving.It wasn't long before the other brothers had dozed off.On the way a rabbit ran across the road infront of the car and into a patch of nettles,the driver stopped the car got the shortest net out surrounded the nettles and caught the rabbit,at last he was happy,they had 100 couple :D the other brothers knew nothing about it untill they got back home.

Edited by tote

im new to the game and looking to get a longnet, how does a drop net work it sounds complicated to me are there any sites that explain it? are the results much better than just setting the net up quietly in front of the feeding rabbits? and will a 50 yard net be enougth to get started?

sorry about all the questions lol

im new to the game and looking to get a longnet, how does a drop net work it sounds complicated to me are there any sites that explain it? are the results much better than just setting the net up quietly in front of the feeding rabbits? and will a 50 yard net be enougth to get started?

sorry about all the questions lol

Drop netting is a method of setting a net in such a way that it can be lowered after the rabbits ventured out into the field. I'm sure there are several different methods :hmm: of deploying it but i basically rope the net up on the poles with fishing line and have a slip knot at one end that can be released from a tug at the other.

I've only done it a few times (and once by myself) in situations where the shape of the field makes if difficult to get to the setting point without spooking everything first (ie a bottle shaped field where it can be released from the other side of the hedge before you zap your nuts on the electric fence) The only reason i advise against it is because it generally involves leaving the net for a while giving some f****r an opportunity to trash the thing... as happened to me last weekend. :angry:

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on the site who will set you right with any questions you can't find already mentioned. :yes:

:victory: