HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO START FALCONRY

chiefdogfoxer

• 2 weeks later...

dont think you can put a price on time......ive never owned a b.o.p. but know a few lads that are very dedicated and the main thing is time......time spent with a mentor, time spent learning, and time spent earning the money to afford a bird and all that goes with it.....when i was youngeR i wanted to take it up but realised i just didnt hve the TIME. im sure some of the proper lads on here will be able to give you some real numbers!

cheers, matt

dont think you can put a price on time......ive never owned a b.o.p. but know a few lads that are very dedicated and the main thing is time......time spent with a mentor, time spent learning, and time spent earning the money to afford a bird and all that goes with it.....when i was youngeR i wanted to take it up but realised i just didnt hve the TIME. im sure some of the proper lads on here will be able to give you some real numbers!

cheers, matt

I've been looking into this for a while and much of it depends on so many variables that it seems impossible to put a fixed sum to it, but as an idea:

Bird: £150 to well, the sky is literally the limit.

Mews/Aviary: Depends on the bird and your DIY ability £200+

Telemetry: £500 new

Dog/Ferrets: again depends on the bird, the style of hunting that you want to do and what you've already got.

Freezer: £150

Scales: £20

Bow Perch: £50

Bath: £25

Hawking Vest/Bag: £30+

Glove: £25+

Misc Equipment (creance, lure etc): £100+

Whiskey for the landowners at Christmas: £50+

Time lost at work: ????????

And so it continues..........

But watching a bird take it's prey after a breath taking flight......Priceless!

you can get loads of gear off ebay and telemetry for around £250 to £350 if your getting a harris you can build a mews for around £200 if you use reclaimed timber also go on a falconry course theres loads about theres loads of dvds on ebay just type in falconry,cheers john.

• 2 weeks later...

cheers, matt

I've been looking into this for a while and much of it depends on so many variables that it seems impossible to put a fixed sum to it, but as an idea:

Bird: £150 to well, the sky is literally the limit.

Mews/Aviary: Depends on the bird and your DIY ability £200+

Telemetry: £500 new

Dog/Ferrets: again depends on the bird, the style of hunting that you want to do and what you've already got.

Freezer: £150

Scales: £20

Bow Perch: £50

Bath: £25

Hawking Vest/Bag: £30+

Glove: £25+

Misc Equipment (creance, lure etc): £100+

Whiskey for the landowners at Christmas: £50+

Time lost at work: ????????

And so it continues..........

But watching a bird take it's prey after a breath taking flight......Priceless!

I've never payed for a freezer so I spent better money on good scales & got insurance... not a critisism btw ;)

Edited by Kat

Try ebay to get some gear, building an avairy shouldnt cost much but dont skimp on size, the bird, well I would get a youngster and start from there,(£200- £300) check around localy and find some one who is in falconery to give advise and get out with them.

I did years ago and I`m still learning. BEST HOBBY EVER

• 4 weeks later...

hi mate iv just started up myself and it has cost me a grand nearly my bird cost me £400 then other stuff gloves scales there down to molt at moment so it costs alittle more to feed him and the other two harris hawks me and my mentor have we have just baught an incubator to save us some money on food i have just built two new muses for the birds we have as i am a joiner so that has saved us aswell if your getting in to it mate you need to be dedicated to it so good luck mate and i hope it goes well for you happy hunting mate