• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do it by boiling a pan of water and putting the part of the stick which needs straightning over the pan and covering the the top with a towel and leaving it on the boil for 5 - 10 minutes . Once its

i have the 5 in the picture forsale again. the lad has pulled out so there here again. ive pm`d a couple of ppl who were asking but carnt remember who else asked.

there £46 for 5 posted.

there is actually 4 good horns and one with a small hole drilled threw it im throwing in.

Hi , Ian

Its the one at Ashington i meant, but a show is held at Morpeth yearly.

Your from Durham,- Tom Keers has one of the best classes your way.

Getting back to this original thread.

I still think the hot air-gun is best for straightening, after trying most other methods.

Getting back to this original thread.

I still think the hot air-gun is best for straightening, after trying most other methods.

Shame there is no You Tube demo for staightening by air gun or steam bucket, not that I have seen anyway. I still haven't got round to doing anything with mine yet, been too busy, and out shooting today so it might be a while before I do them

OTC

OTC this will give you an idea of using dry heat. There is a video by Theo Fossel, founder of the British Stickmakrs Guild, which shows straightening shanks but i don't have a copy to send you.

ace32

I know Tom and Bob Graham very well, great friends of mine. If Tom was your instructor, you have had the best, me and Tom started together, at the same night class. I don't make sticks now, but Alan Bateman and myself and Tom Keers all started at the same time. Me and Alan Bateman both had our first wins in a show at Newcastle Exhibition around 1984.

OTC this will give you an idea of using dry heat.

Thanks Gin that helps a lot - so can I use an ordinary camping stove as a heat source with a gas flame or is it somehow different?

OTC

Edited by OldTrapCollector

Yes, do it the same way with a camping stove, but notice how he keeps turning it and moving it, so the heat is not in the same place which may burn the bark, on whatever woods your using.

Are there any stick makers on the forum?

I have some well seasoned shanks that need a bit of straightening - does anyone know any easy way to do it?

OTC Hello there, wrap some tin foil round the bit that requires to be straight then heat with a hot air paint stripper then bend in a vice. Hold it in that position until it cools . All the best.