shock collars

:hmm:im having an awful crisis. 8 months ago i bred a lovely litter of working cocker spaniels. i kept one of the bitch pups back and she is fantastic. she has been the easiest pup to train, never puts a foot wrong and is a real little gem. my problem is i sold one of the pups to a person i know in my village. i have seen her walking it and she has all the gadgets to stop him pulling like halters and harness and i thought this was a bit odd as my pup walks perfectly in a slip lead. and then i bumped into her today and she told me she uses a shock collar on him as he runs off and chases sheep. i think its terrible because she obviously hasnt trained him at all. but i cant stop thinkng about the poor pup. i dont know what to do because obvously it is no longer my pup and i dont want her to think im stickingmy nose in. but to shock a puppy i think that is plain cruel and not necessary. what should i so?

Ask her to put it around her neck and let you press the button

I have a wide experience with shock collars and from this experience I dare to say that if used properly and in combination with a suitable training it is by far the most animal friendly training aid I know

A good shock collar has a very fine adjustable strength, and in the lower part of the range the "shock" is hardly noticable. This I can tell from personal experience as I used the collar on myself before using it on any dog so I know exactly wat I am doing to the dog. In addition, anyone who comes training his dog with me and wants to use a shock collar has to feel te shock for themself, if not I will not train them. At high settings the shock is bloody painful by the way but it is the hand that rocks the cradle - once you know what you are doing it is up to you to make good use of it.

There are many ways to destroy a dog, the wrong use of a shock collar is just one of them. No or inadequate training is by far the most common way fine dogs are destroyed, any dog will develop nasty habits once its owner cannot handle it and every year thousands of dogs are being put to sleep because of behavioural problems that could have been avoided if the owner would have bothered to train the dog decently and spend a few pop on a knowledgable dog trainer.

Now the rant's over back to the topic, this woman obviously has no clue how to train her dog, she will most likely have no clue to use the shock collar and subsequently destroy the dog. It is very likely that despite the shock collar the dog will remain to be problematic and will notlive his old age with this owner. What I would try to do in this situation is first of all persuade the owner to test the shock collar on herself and secondly offer her to help with the training, fair chance that if you could teach her how to use the slip lead and some basic skills on raising and handling a dog most problems get solved.

By the way, 8 mths is far too young for using a shock collar, the manual that comes with the shock collar from most makes says so too.

Good luck

I have a wide experience with shock collars and from this experience I dare to say that if used properly and in combination with a suitable training it is by far the most animal friendly training aid I know

it is not a training aid it is an instrument of correction

it is not a training aid it is an instrument of correction

I think the point he was making is if used correctly its not as bad as some people make out. I have seen alot crueler things done to dogs without shock collars, Kicking, Punching, Beating. All terrible.

End of the day if someone is going to mistreat there dog they dont need a shock coller to do it. if used correctly I hear they can be quite effective. Although never used one myself.

personally i wouldnt waste my time with these shock collers and if anybody needs one its probably because they are giving the dog commands without letting the dog know what you want it to do and think that giving the dog a shock is going to help

imo if the dog doesnt know what you want it to do then nothing and no collers will help

A good shock collar has a very fine adjustable strength, and in the lower part of the range the "shock" is hardly noticable. This I can tell from personal experience as I used the collar on myself before using it on any dog so I know exactly wat I am doing to the dog. In addition, anyone who comes training his dog with me and wants to use a shock collar has to feel te shock for themself, if not I will not train them. At high settings the shock is bloody painful by the way but it is the hand that rocks the cradle - once you know what you are doing it is up to you to make good use of it.

There are many ways to destroy a dog, the wrong use of a shock collar is just one of them. No or inadequate training is by far the most common way fine dogs are destroyed, any dog will develop nasty habits once its owner cannot handle it and every year thousands of dogs are being put to sleep because of behavioural problems that could have been avoided if the owner would have bothered to train the dog decently and spend a few pop on a knowledgable dog trainer.

Now the rant's over back to the topic, this woman obviously has no clue how to train her dog, she will most likely have no clue to use the shock collar and subsequently destroy the dog. It is very likely that despite the shock collar the dog will remain to be problematic and will notlive his old age with this owner. What I would try to do in this situation is first of all persuade the owner to test the shock collar on herself and secondly offer her to help with the training, fair chance that if you could teach her how to use the slip lead and some basic skills on raising and handling a dog most problems get solved.

By the way, 8 mths is far too young for using a shock collar, the manual that comes with the shock collar from most makes says so too.

Good luck

Excellent post!

E-collars, for some reason. Bring out some surprisingly emotional responses in some people. Corrections with an e-collar are guided by the dogs temperment and level of arousel. Generally the lightest correction possible is used. As with most things it all comes down to timing. Myself, I use e-collars for most field training. Only force fetch is done the "old fashion way".

ATB

Good luck

Excellent post!

E-collars, for some reason. Bring out some surprisingly emotional responses in some people. Corrections with an e-collar are guided by the dogs temperment and level of arousel. Generally the lightest correction possible is used. As with most things it all comes down to timing. Myself, I use e-collars for most field training. Only force fetch is done the "old fashion way".

ATB

All i have seen from these posts is that E-collars are a good tool if used correctly but have not seen any valid reasons to justify their use. What can an e collar do that conventional methods dont or cant do? I admit that i have no experience with them but i do not see any benefits.

doddsy, What the collar does ultimetly. Is allow for instant corrections. (quicker then a leash pop.) Also, i agree with what you said. People should try the collar on themselves before they subject their dog to it. I sure did.

ATB

Im sorry Mickey but i just cant see the need for them call me old fashioned.

I bought a collar a couple of years ago to correct a headstrong cocker he had started to ignore the stop whistle and as he is used solely for dogging in this meant that he was ignoring me at 2-300 yards plus. I used the collar as the instructions described and tried it on myself before using it after 2 shocks on the dog I never had to use it again and the dog has never ignored the whistle since.

In my opinion they are a fantastic tool but only to be used as a last resort and never as a replacement for normal training methods :thumbs:

doddsy, What the collar does ultimetly. Is allow for instant corrections. (quicker then a leash pop.) Also, i agree with what you said. People should try the collar on themselves before they subject their dog to it. I sure did.

ATB

Im sorry Mickey but i just cant see the need for them call me old fashioned.

Your olde fashion. lol Alot of good gun dogs are trained without e-collars.

ATB

:hmm:im having an awful crisis. 8 months ago i bred a lovely litter of working cocker spaniels. i kept one of the bitch pups back and she is fantastic. she has been the easiest pup to train, never puts a foot wrong and is a real little gem. my problem is i sold one of the pups to a person i know in my village. i have seen her walking it and she has all the gadgets to stop him pulling like halters and harness and i thought this was a bit odd as my pup walks perfectly in a slip lead. and then i bumped into her today and she told me she uses a shock collar on him as he runs off and chases sheep. i think its terrible because she obviously hasnt trained him at all. but i cant stop thinkng about the poor pup. i dont know what to do because obvously it is no longer my pup and i dont want her to think im stickingmy nose in. but to shock a puppy i think that is plain cruel and not necessary. what should i so?

i got 4 cockers and yes they are hard work but keep trying no neeed to use them ever they take 2 years to calm down them dogs do