" King Rat of 2007 " ~ Shall We Go For It?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:) That's the spirit, lads! Nice work there by OTC and Donks both. Good to see people carrying those Tapes :good:

Now, while Donks has used the better proscribed method of verification - tip of nose to tip of tape (So Much easier on the eye and mind! Thanks!) I should like to point out that the bum end - bum especially, unless ye wish to lodge a particularly long tailed Long Tail - would certainly help too, if it actually covers the tape. See what I'm saying?

I should also state that, having put OTC's first entry through the " Stewards Enquirie " processor, I find it to be a few mill under the full eleven inches. Thus we're actually still looking for our first, fully vetted and verified 11" Rat.

Interesting, as the texts tend towards stating that 11" is quite within the 'Average'!

So, come on you people; Get out there and Whack A Whoppa! Only; For gods sakes carry a Tape and a Camera! Nose Tip to Tip of Tape. Bum Crossing Tape at the Finishing Line :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Evening Ditchy, just picked up this thread sounds like a good crack, one thing confuses me though, all the pictures so far are Rattus Norvegicus not as you mentioned earlier Rattus Rattus , if you guys are running around rearing pens , tips etc killing Rattus Rattus (Black rats) i think the ministry might like a word, Something to do with black death and plague :o:icon_eek::o , i know i am being pedantic, but according to a boring lecture i attended a short while ago Rattus Rattus is only found in a few places such as Bristol, Liverpool and London docks, and being very cloesly monitored. ;)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

You probably are being pedantic, but why not? I said, in my previous post, that we're dealing with Norvegicus here. The vast majority of us who encounter rats knowing well enough the history, anatomy and locations involved. (Did they ever wipe out that 'original' population of R. rattus on that small, offshore island, by the way?)

Anyway, thanks for bringing this Thread back to the surface. Now, at last, I'll grab it's URL and point it out to people. Something I've been meaning to do for ages.

And another thing I'll try to remember to do is ~ just for fun ~ bring ye all a shot of a rat my mate trapped. Nothing unusual about its size. But it's coat is black as night! And it's 100% pure norvegicus too!

Personally, I'd have had the bugger mounted! :icon_eek:

I'll ask his permission and hopefully stick it up here ~ If I remember! :good:

dammit, i'm still on the hunt. nearly had a good'un when i got in from work - it shot across the bottom of the track as i pulled in. unfortunately, a 12" long, 2' wide rat isn't a lot of good for this...

• 2 months later...

right! the game is very much on here!

my cat has had kittens, and since they were born i've kept her shut up in the house.

about a week after i confined her, noises started to eminate from my back hedge by the railway line. when i've been taking the dog out the back gate for a walk, there's been a commotion in the ivy next to the gate... i put it down to rabbits, as they were living in there last year.

but.........

this "bustle in the hedgerow" sure as hell wasn't "a springclean for the Mayqueen" !! :guitar2: :blink:

i nodded off on the sofa this afternoon, so i went out an hour or so ago to feed my ferrets, with a torch in my hand. i got round to the back of the bathroom to feed my two jills, and heard a noise in the hedge... shone the torch over...

fecking RATS!! :icon_eek:

bold as brass, the biggest f*cking rat i've ever seen was sitting on an old tile in a gap in the hedge. i looked at him. he looked at me. and he carried on about his business. next thing i see, there's another rat, coming under the gate, trotting up the path towards me!!! i flicked the torch, and he trotted off back into the hedge.

my f*cking hedge is fair heaving with the b*st*rds! and these ain't no small rats. they're feeding off my compost heap, and dropped little bits of the beef mince i feed the ferrets. and my compost heap is something else... everything gets chucked on there... well, you can't go putting deer skins in your rubbish bin when you've go a lurcher, can you? :whistle: so i sling them behind the heap. along with all the roadkill pheasant, rabbit & hare remains left over after the ferrets have eaten... and it's been a while since i've had a good burn-up :icon_redface:

since the cat's been kept in, the f*cking rats have started to run riot!

i certainly appreciate my cats skills as a ratter a f*cksite more, now i've seen the evidence of what happens when she's not around! up til now i've only seen rats by the bottom of the track, where the cat isn't allowed to go. now, the fuckers have gone just that little bit too far...

now, i'm probably going to get stick here for my "garden hygiene". but i don't give a crap :feck: . because, i'm going to win this King Rat competition :p . there is at least one 12-incher out there, maybe more. i'm off outside now, with my air rifle, a lump of meat, and a torch. the cat is getting let out again tomorrow. :D

expect photos, soon.

altjough i've just realised, i only have ten days to find, shoot & photograph the monster rat, clean up the compost heap, and despatch the rest of the rats... because i'm moving out on the 31st! :icon_eek:

Edited by Ossie
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's one Salclalin caught in a Mk 4 Fenn yesterday.It measures 19 inches from nose to tail.The slab is `18 inches long and used as a comparison as you can't see the tape correctly.The slab is on a sheet of Ply.

Edited by red dog
Guest Ditch_Shitter

:clapper: Yeppers, it's official! As adjudicator of all this nonsense, I'd like to say that I messed with that damn photo till my eyes bled and my brain hurt like f*ck! I couldn't for the life of me make out a single mark on that tape, see? But anyway, accepting that the rat is 19" overall and the slab 18", I pissed about with blowing the shot up and down and finally got a mark. I then got the calculator out and started doing Fractional Division, for chrissake! :icon_eek:

Result is that ~ and please don't ask me quite how I did this, because I tried to tell ye earlier, found I'd forgotten and went away for a lay down! :laugh: ~ I figured it out that that rat, incontovertably, in my judgement, has a tip of nose to base of tail measurement of a 'good' 11 1/4" !

Ladys and gentlemen; We have at last broken the 11" body mark! :yahoo:

Who's gonna lick That? Bring me an eleven and half inch bodied rat! :D