Bearded Collie bred lurchers.

I do like the look of Aura, beautiful, just curious as to how you have found them at hunting up. I had a lurcher with a quarter beardie in him and he was excellent at using his nose and had the best strike on a dog ive owned, much better at hunting than my half border collie lurcher. Are yours hancock beardie bred or non hancock beardie? Other than hancock they seem very thin on the ground.

Cheers Wuyang

Aura was bred by David and Sally Hancock. She's the second half cross I've had from them.

Galan was a home reared pup. His granddam was out of the Hancocks kennels and was sister to my original half cross bitch. Galan is the result of mating a pure Beardie (Drew pringle bred) to a 3/4 Grey 1/4 Beardie (Tom Muirhead lines). Sister to Keeps's dog Indie incidentally.

Delta I bred myself. I had Aura mated to Keeps's superb 3/4 bred Indie earlier in the year and she was the only bitch in a litter of eight pups.

Nose is a quality I rated very highly in my lurchers. Aura and Galan possess first class noses and will hunt up all day. Delta shows all the signs of going in the same direction.

Aura and Galan marking...

Deltasfirstwalkout016.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi folks,   I'm interested to see how many people on this forum run genuine Bearded Collie bred lurchers. By that I mean only Bearded Collie and Greyhound blood pure and simple. I know there ain't t

just a reply on the topic of beardie lurchers.i owned one for 17 years bred out of remus and a greyhound in 1989. a rough coated dog 25 inch. he was simple to train and had a 1st class temperament. go

Posted Images

Lovely looking dogs there Magpie. How do you find the 5/8 Beardie 3/8 greyhound ? A friend of mine has a litter sister to

stabs dog and we are looking at using a Tasmanian Smithfield dog over her.

As a point of interest these Tassie smithfields are not a Stumpy tailed cattle dog, the dog that is usually refered to as a Smithfield in Oz. These Tassie smithfields are essentially a working beardie type from, as the name suggests Tasmania,they have super feet and wrists, are quiet,quick learners who have an "off switch" and are very versatile WORKING herders.

I for one do not believe ,(before anyone says it LOL), that these are some mystical link back to the dogs of the 1800s, rather they are a tough,brainy, light framed readily trained sort of herder that may(note I said may LOL) be a useful first step in a lurcher line. I am interested in this cross purely for my own use in my rabbiting work (and for a few pals) the market for these dogs in oz is tiny, most here like the big raking "staghound" types and frankly nothing wrong with that, however they are not ideally suited to the rabbiting game.So we shall see.

I shall try to put a pic of Tarn the dog we are going to use.He works sheep (including Wiltshire horns and Damaras not the

most "dog friendly" of breeds! and cattle and is super loyal. Underneath all the jacket he is built more racy than many border collie 1/2 cross lurchers.

In the mean time try this link for interest.www.smithfielddogs.com/page and follow links or whatever it is one does on these things.

Cheers

Warrigal (computer div)

As we've mentioned before Warrigal, I reckon that'd be a nice little cross that one, and something close to what Magpie has there. The one I'd be personally interested in would be a bitch out of that mating put back to that great lump I have here.

got beardie in my colie type lurchers and had agenuine one great dog in cold weather tough as teak but poor on strong hares fast roe when it was legal mines was ahalf cross grreat rabbit dog very clever but lacked agearon fast qaurry on short wheat but all in all agood bitch, saw faster types were more suited ,the one i had was clever but took awhile to settle down ,one sever al obeidence type contests and got to feild trails with her as a14 month pup but had put alot of work in her there still working beardies here in scotland and if you get the [bANNED TEXT] type of greyhound youll get adecent mouching lurcher ,but not a class allrounder