feeding canaries

just getting into canaries,got myself a couple of fifes,the problem is i am feeding them on a mixture of budgie seed and canary seed,but there is alot of wastage in the cage due to them sifting through it for acertain type of seed in the mix,is there a special seed available that i could give them that would cure them,any feeding tips would be most grateful,thanks.

hi ther bud budgie seed consists mainly of millets of various types. this is ok for canaries with the normal staple diet ,of mixed canary seed canaries are like any birds ,they will pick the oil seeds first the trick his to make sure they eat all the seeds .most canary fanciers feed plain canary of one type or another, and only adding other seeds when wants to bring in condition for either breeding ,or fattening for the bench i hope this is advice his oa help to you. all the best and good luck bunnys

I've got 3 canaries flying with a goldie cock and i have mixed my canary seed with finch seed and niger,i also have food bowls with a mix of the tonic seed,sunflower seed,egg food and finch tonic mix and also a good bunch of fresh chickweed hanging.My birds do seem to go for the oilier seed first but they do eat there way through everything in the bowls,my mules get the same diet as well as wild food/seed when in season as it were.Now this is my first year at this so no expert in anyway but this is how i feed my birds and if it sounds like i'm doing anything wrong please don't be shy and put me right. :thumbs:

hello grompz good to hear your keeping fifes good breed to keep easy to look after i had them for years showed them, i had about 40 of them alot of wasted seed tryed to blow the empty seed off the top of the good stuff waste of time got a seed blower waste of time i think youll have to deal with it pal but keep feeding canary seed and your birds will do all right some brocolli some condition seed, :thumbs: what colour are your fifes thanks pal good luck