young hunters competition

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to all young hunters on the site i will be having a competition for you all in which i will give prizes for 1st 2nd and 3rd place you will have to take pics of what you catch and how you caught it a

Posted Images

went out ferreting on saturday to some nice little grounds around a church but when we got there there werent that many burrows so half the team went and walked up the thick hedges with the pack of terriers and shot what came out,while we ferreted the warrens of which there wernt many but after the morning we met back up and we had ferreted a pair of rabbits and a rat while they had shot a rabbit, a pigeon and a muntjack. We then went to another property which we just walked up with the dogs which are 4 russels and 1 border x russel and shot the rabbits that came out which was 6, so we ended the day with 9 rabbits, 1 rat, 1 pigeon and a muntjack so it was more of a pest conteol day then ferreting but is was a good day and the dogs worked well and sorry but no pics atb fd. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

well this is a wrtie up about my pigeon shooting over ivy berries and crab apples with an airgun:

My alarm beeped me awake at 6.00am and i looked outside to see that it was still very much night. I was planning to stake out an area where pigeons had been feeding on berries and crab apples in these tough winter months when there are very few crops around for them to feast on. After filling my flask with hot choclate (and my gun with air) i made my way over the short footpath up my garden (very BIG garden) i found a nice area with my back to a fence. I sat down on my bean bag and popped down my bipod legs. i was watching over an area with large ash trees surounding me, a line of trees covered in ivy and ivy berries, and one particularly large crab apple tree laden with tiny red apples. As i sat sipping at my flask i marveled at the morning chorus of birdsong. Blackbirds, sparrows, songthrushes and even a jay screaming around in the background. I could have not taken a single shot all morning and still enjoyed it. Although this was not the case! As my garden was slowly filling with light the first customer of the day came swooping in. I could see the woody from afar, flapping up noisly then gliding down. It streched out its wings and landed silently in a bare ashtree about 30 yrds away from me. I very slowly shifted my bipod across the ground to point my gun at the pigeon. I peered through my scope and saw that there was a tangle of twigs between me and the pigeon. After much thinking and slow shuffling about i decided that this pigeon was off limits as the there was just to high a chance of the pellet being deflected by a twig and me missing, or even worse, wounding the bird. Luckily the bird started to shift on the branch and i though he was going to fly into the crab apple tree. Unfortunatly it took flight into a larger beech about 60 or 70 yrds away. Oh well i thought, but continued to watch it through my scope. This pigeon has to land in those fruit laden trees sometime i thought. My wish was granted after the wary pigeon flew down into the crab apple tree. It began bobbing and picking at the fruit, swallowing them whole! It's bobing and pecking around presented a whole new challenge and getting off a shot would be hard. It had found one spot where it was going down, and its head popping back up in the exact same place every time. I counted how long it kept its head up for, then as it put up its head again i followed it through the cross hairs and THWACK, a puff of feathers, i'd nailed it! A short flap down and it was slumped motionless in the leaf litter! My first shot of the day and what a shot! Unfortuneatly as i broke cover to retrieve it (nothing puts off pigeons like a dead pigeon on its back) i didnt see his mate who was flying in but quickly veered off as it spotted me (okay, well nothing but stupid hunters who don't look around before breaking cover!) . By 7:30 yet another pigeon landed in the crab apple tree. This time it was facing away from me so i decided a shot between the shoulderblades would be far more effective than trying for a headshot at this angle. I was greeted with a hefty smack and a thud as it hit the floor with a 35 yrd shot. This time i got some footage of it on my handy cam which was beside me on a tripod, fetichingly dressed in a scrim scarf and hide netting to cover up the bright shiny silver beneath. I'll edit it into this later when i can find it. After another half hour of waiting and depletion of my hot choclate i decided it was time to head back. I quickly breasted the pigeons with my mora knife and threw the carcasses for Charlie, and Brock (the badger), and maybe even Billy (the buzzard) if he can find them. as i was walking back with my rifle slung over my shoulder i was already imagining a lovely, juicy pigeon breast bap for breccy! An enjoyable hunting trip, and the last one i went on!

ATB

Aaron.

Edited by aaronpigeonplucker
  • 3 weeks later...

hi all

took my this years poleys out the other week and was ferreting a say 12-15 hole warren

well anyway a lovely big rabbit popped out necked and one for the pot i had also caught

one the day before on this fairly small farm- back to the story one of my jills popped out

with signs showing she had killed- damn ! so a lot of squeaking and thumping by the

top of the warren to try to get her to show- NO CHANCE she was having a tea party down there

so i waited her out - 6 AND 1/2 HOURS WAIT- but i have almost enough for a ferret finder so not all that

bad

atb josh

hey lads well i got my deben tracer max pro today and after a half hour zero i waited for it to get dark, i was just scanning my fields around my house ,i really didnt have much luck! lol i spotted atleast 7-8 bugs and didnt get one. I have friday off school because of teacher training but im working so wanted an early night! but seeing so many wabbits and not getting one was driving into me aswell as the winde haha! i decided on one last scan,i went out of my door at 11:45pm had a quick scan in my larger field to reveal around 4-5 rabbits. All of which wouldnt stay bloodys till so couldnt get a shot in haha ,i dimmed my lamp and turned it off got over the gate and entered the field. i was walking in about 10yard paces i had a scan to reveal 3 rabbits sitting but out of range and i was out of breath as my field is on a hill . i had to open the electric fence gate and go through then close it ,i then flicked the lamp back on them they were about 40 yards away,and i dont have the skill for a standing crouching shot at that range so i moved in ,only for them to run . after a game of tag with the bugs back and forth the field i thought they had all gone to ground! and was heading back in.''but one last look wont hurt right ?'' i walked accross the field and spotted a bugs about 25 yards away and he was a sitter

i kept the lamp steady caught my breath from the game of tag,and crouched down,got the crosshairs on the KZ and THWACK!! one in the bag baby!!! im very happy now haha that i got one within the first night of having my deben! heres a pic of me looking a bit weird from the flash! :icon_redface::laugh:

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg

Edited by lampingboy
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully going out this weekend pending on the weather will post results. :thumbs:

sorry buddy the comp is finished now

just waiting for the voters so the winners can be announced

but hang around as traceyg will be starting a comp soon

hi john, do you kow when the results will be published?

hopefully soon it looks like 1st and 2nd have a clear lead but 3rd place is tight so the more folk that vote the quicker it can be sorted :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully going out this weekend pending on the weather will post results. :thumbs:

sorry buddy the comp is finished now

just waiting for the voters so the winners can be announced

but hang around as traceyg will be starting a comp soon

hi john, do you kow when the results will be published?

hopefully soon it looks like 1st and 2nd have a clear lead but 3rd place is tight so the more folk that vote the quicker it can be sorted :thumbs:

whats the outcome of prize winners mate