Working Terrier Book

Finally finished this book today and it was OK.

The book is a glossy hard back with a photo of Nicky Stevens Roxy adorning the front and most of it's 157 photos are in colour and of very good quality.

The book itself seems like an introduction to the sport with the first half or so concerned with the usual terrier book information such as breed description, history, entering, first aid etc etc. Most members on here won't read anything they don't know in there and there's nothing you haven't read in books by the likes of Frain, Plummer and Shaw :11: As I said above the photos are first class and some older smoochers members might remember some from a couple of years back that JP posted.

Things get a little different on page 109 though as this is when the strange (to us) continental quarry gets a mention with details on the porcupine, Coypu, Marten etc. There's even details on boar and deer which I can only assume is due to the european lads love for tracking with terriers.

The text itself reads exactly like it what it is......a translation from Italian. There are times when I have had to re-read certain sections as I wasn't entirely sure what was being said and there's occasions when certain words are incongruous and other times when I don't recognise the word as being an English word at all. This is to be expected though as at the end of the day, we are not reading it in it's original language and mistkaes with transaltion are made. I've translated a couple of pieces from Polish to English before and I know how hard it is. I would have liked to have seen a little bit more common sense in some of the translation of sizes from centimetres to inches as it reads odd when you see that a Jack Russell shouldn't be over 15.7 inches tall :D

What makes the book interesting in my eyes is the question and answer section at the back with the terriermen, many of whose names will be familiar to you and some that won't be. This is what makes it stand out from other books. It's as if the author has blended elemants of Broadhursts book with the traditional introduction type.

On the whole it was an ok read with some good pictures. There were some bits I didn't agree with such as the never feed chicken or rabbit bones to dogs, but again, I assume the author is referring to cooked bones, although due to the translation he doesn't say so. If you like good pictures and interviews then you'll enjoy the book.

Finally finished this book today and it was OK.

The book is a glossy hard back with a photo of Nicky Stevens Roxy adorning the front and most of it's 157 photos are in colour and of very good quality.

The book itself seems like an introduction to the sport with the first half or so concerned with the usual terrier book information such as breed description, history, entering, first aid etc etc. Most members on here won't read anything they don't know in there and there's nothing you haven't read in books by the likes of Frain, Plummer and Shaw  :11: As I said above the photos are first class and some older smoochers members might remember some from a couple of years back that JP posted.

Things get a little different on page 109 though as this is when the strange (to us) continental quarry gets a mention with details on the porcupine, Coypu, Marten etc. There's even details on boar and deer which I can only assume is due to the european lads love for tracking with terriers.

The text itself reads exactly like it what it is......a translation from Italian. There are times when I have had to re-read certain sections as I wasn't entirely sure what was being said and there's occasions when certain words are incongruous and other times when I don't recognise the word as being an English word at all. This is to be expected though as at the end of the day, we are not reading it in it's original language and mistkaes with transaltion are made. I've translated a couple of pieces from Polish to English before and I know how hard it is. I would have liked to have seen a little bit more common sense in some of the translation of sizes from centimetres to inches as it reads odd when you see that a Jack Russell shouldn't be over 15.7 inches tall  :D

What makes the book interesting in my eyes is the question and answer section at the back with the terriermen, many of whose names will be familiar to you and some that won't be. This is what makes it stand out from other books. It's as if the author has blended elemants of Broadhursts book with the traditional introduction type.

On the whole it was an ok read with some good pictures. There were some bits I didn't agree with such as the never feed chicken or rabbit bones to dogs, but again, I assume the author is referring to cooked bones, although due to the translation he doesn't say so. If you like good pictures and interviews then you'll enjoy the book.

For feck sake, dont be using inconspicuous words such as "incongruous" paddy & I will have to get the dictionary out from under the chest of drawers its holding upright :11:

Not in keeping with what is correct, proper, or logical. Lacking in harmony, incompatible :unsure: that it.?!?! :11: :11:

Not too bad a price, when I spoke to the dealer over there about discount he said they would have to be bought in bulk (Over 25) and shipped as one package over here, it worked out would probably save £3/4, but the hassle of shipping to each individual address and taking payment...not really worth it for a few quid saving...he said tideline was the main dealer over here, I see Gernonimos supplied the details.. :)

I've not read the book even if I'm in Italy cos it cost to much.From what I've read from Stabs review it even talks of digging to porcupine,Well,I was banned from Edrd forum for sayng that here in Italy is a tradition to dig to them :diablo::diablo: