home made tube traps

Where would modern trapping be without the great trap innovators of the twentieth century?

The likes of Frank Sawyer, Reginald Juby, Huw Lloyd and of course Alan Fenn kept spring trapping alive after the ban on gin traps.

And let's not forget that in the modern age people like Glen Waters and Phil Lloyd have adapted US ideas and traps to suit the UK, and in the case of Phil Lloyd (with Robin Tarrant) had several designs modified and approved for use in Britain (don't forget that the Magnum 116 is not a standard US trap, nor is the tube trap). Even newcomers like David Holdaway (Trapworks) are constantly looking at ways to improve what we've got (I think that DH has started making modified safety catches).

We've had more new traps approved in the last 20 years than in the previous. That in itself is a good thing.

The approval process with FERA (formally CSL) is drawn out and expensive. I suspect that that puts a good few potential innovators off, but it can be done.

And let's not forget that not everyone who is designing and building prototypes is shouting about it on internet forums. I'm sure that some folks are quietly working away and biding their time.

Logun, when I read your first post my gut reaction was that you were building traps to save money. More recently, you've been suggesting that it's because you can build traps that are more humane than those approved by FERA; if that is the case, then submit your designs for approval, and I'm sure that if you suceed then people will buy and use them.

Perhaps you could read this post twice before you subject me to yet more abuse. I'm not condemning you for making traps and trying to improve what we've got, despite what you think. However, I think that your constant use of foul and abusive language is out of order and should be dealt with by the moderators.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WELL DONE MATE ,     IF THEY WORK ... AND WORK WELL ............. I WOULD USE THEM .......   OF COURSE YOU WILL GET THE PEDDLERS SCREAMING DEFRA AT YOU ,.... FECK EM !   IVE LEARNT A LOT AB

i cannot see how these "clones " are illegal,its bin said before, the law states that you can use clones, thats how all the folk that use chinky crap get away with it. if logan can make a better trap

Good work logun keep up the good work and never mind all the pessimist comments !!!

Posted Images

It's funny, but when I was a kid, I made all sorts of traps for anything I thought I could catch. Nobody told me I shouldn't do it, and my dad thought it was great, because it exercised the mind. My 7 year old is now doing the same thing without any prompting or story telling from me. If I still had the time, I would probably still do the same now, similar to Logun.

His traps may not be approved, but the fact he is looking at different ideas is great. imo.

Pointless posts on here that argue about the law, do nothing but harm to trapping generally.

Accept the design, love it or like it, and move on!

Read, digest, sift, bin or file.

His traps may not be approved, but the fact he is looking at different ideas is great. imo.

Agreed.

Please see my previous posts. Without people trying to improve what we have we would not now have the BMI magnums, tube traps, kanias, or indeed Fenn Mk4 and 6.

The difference is that the people who gave us those traps invested in getting them approved for use. They don't deserve to have their products belittled and put down for being too expensive.

Pointless posts on here that argue about the law, do nothing but harm to trapping generally.

Disagree.

What is a discussion forum for? Is it a place for people to come and tell us how clever they are so that we can all pat them on the back and say 'Well done', or a place to discuss ideas with likeminded individuals, or a combination of the two?

The law is relevant, and with increasing pressure on legal fieldsports and pest control we all have a duty to ensure that we do nothing to jepardise what we have left.

Accept the design, love it or like it, and move on!

The design is accepted, and loved.

I'm not sure how the 'LogunTube' is any better (apart from the cost) as amongst his rambling, abusive posts, I've yet to see any explanation of what makes these traps more humane.

As per my previous post; I think the original motivation was to save money, which in itself is fine, but doesn't make the traps legal to use.