In your oppinion, the best alround dog

JoeD

Lets throw this into the mix, what does a gundog actually do that is so hard and that a well bred lurcher is incapable of??.

Find game, I would expect a lurcher to find game..

Flush game, as above but obviously is required to catch it rather than flush it . Drop to shot my lurchers did or rather could if that's what I wished..My preference would be that they pinned it before it went anywhere, obviously not a desirable trait in a gundog.

Retrieve, again a quality I would insist on in a lurcher, and wouldn't tax a well bred lurcher..

.The debate could go on forever, for every wayward useless lurcher I've seen, I've seen a gundog the same, we've came full circle here, so a question to any gundog owner, what do you actually think a gundog could do that a well bred lurcher couldn't??.

But theres nobody here saying the lurcher is uesless, its use lads trying to push saying the lurcher is as good as a Lab/Spaniel at Gundog work when thats incorrect. I reckon a Lurcher couldn't go deep back into a wood to look for an injured bird without the owner worrying a deer pops up and its gets coursed across the field infront of a load of guns, i've yet to see any lurcher that works hand signals like a proper gundog( not seen it but wont dismiss it cant be done), i think a lurcher w hereould struggle wildfowling at freezing temps', i've yet to see a lurcher that bashes brambles aside like they are not there and i'm yet to see a soft mouthed one on feather game.................. :thumbs:

come down here. i agree on a few bits of the above post however i can disprove the bramble,hand signals and the soft mouthed bits :yes: and ive done the lurcher chasing deer and fox infront of the guns bit :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: feeeeenton :laugh:

If you fancy it I am more than happy to put on a rough day next season for you and lab so we can prove it either way :thumbs:

, we where to be shown how much better lurchers are than gundogs this past season but stewie bottled it :whistling:

In all fairness and as much as it grives me to say i have seen paulas`s dog with my own eyes and it dos do some cover and will enter light bramble even if it can see there`s nothing there.......not got the finess or speed of a spaniel and the claims it has well rather you then me..... i dont think the day out will come of by ay means :icon_redface: but if it dose put a true acount of the day up.......... :toast: good look that dog :thumbs:

There we have it then lads and im up for it with my yellow bitch, infact ive a patterdale bitch that will show up and has shown up a few dogs in the line/picking up IF theres no occupied earths nearby as its :bye: and see you later if there is :thumbs:

infact, i will sort the occasion on my shoot :yes:

allsorts of covers, including 2 lakes and a 3 miles stretch of the river kennet :toast:

money and mouth then lads?? :drinks:

any afternoon next week/next weekend down here roost shooting pigeons in a 14 acre wood if your up for it :thumbs: here is trip from jan with another member off here

http://www.thehuntin...enerous-member/

Pmsl

you have chosen the 'ignore your internet stalker button' all post will be directed to an appropriate advisor :laugh:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you are correct. ive had lurchers a long time and all are different, the ones i keep/breed now are pritty true to type, keen and biddable and can be trained to do most things. i only train to the gun

Lets not pretend some Labs wont hit cover like spaniels cause they will and vice versa there are some very good spaniels that can out shine a lab on retrieving, but these animals are few are far betwe

depends on what you want it for, i take my lab onto the marsh and my cocker rough shooting. my mate has a springer he uses on the marsh, she's great retrieves just as well as the lab. but after the fi

Posted Images

take it you will be standing on the hedg line 200/300yards away and sending them one at a time ye and then you can have afew blind retrivs that way if you mate a shit shot on the day you will still get to send them .......and then a bit of bushing..........most dogs will go in its the staying in .....

take it you will be standing on the hedg line 200/300yards away and sending them one at a time ye and then you can have afew blind retrivs that way if you mate a shit shot on the day you will still get to send them .......and then a bit of bushing..........most dogs will go in its the staying in .....

you have chosen the 'ignore your internet stalker button' all post will be directed to an appropriate advisor :laugh:

its was for earth :laugh:

Earth i take it you will be standing on the hedg line 200/300yards away and sending them one at a time ye and then you can have afew blind retrivs that way if you mate a shit shot on the day you will still get to send them .......and then a bit of bushing..........most dogs will go in its the staying in .....

you changed it :laugh:you have chosen the 'ignore your internet stalker button' all post will be directed to an appropriate advisor :laugh:

you changed it :laugh:you have chosen the 'ignore your internet stalker button' all post will be directed to an appropriate advisor :laugh:

lol

lol

and just to ad i dont think roost shooting is a test for any dog ............atb x38
  • Like 1

and just to ad i dont think roost shooting is a test for any dog ............atb x38

well that was a fecking long read... my vote is for a labradoodle!!!! .... :tongue2: in reality I love my labs big daft things haha plus they vertually train them self with guidance haha

even blind people can train them iv seen loads doing it :D

well that was a fecking long read... my vote is for a labradoodle!!!! .... :tongue2: in reality I love my labs big daft things haha plus they vertually train them self with guidance haha

huh!!! Mocking the blind now...... You bloody lurcher men......:-)
  • Like 2

huh!!! Mocking the blind now...... You bloody lurcher men......:-)

:D