In your oppinion, the best alround dog

JoeD

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you are correct. ive had lurchers a long time and all are different, the ones i keep/breed now are pritty true to type, keen and biddable and can be trained to do most things. i only train to the gun

Lets not pretend some Labs wont hit cover like spaniels cause they will and vice versa there are some very good spaniels that can out shine a lab on retrieving, but these animals are few are far betwe

depends on what you want it for, i take my lab onto the marsh and my cocker rough shooting. my mate has a springer he uses on the marsh, she's great retrieves just as well as the lab. but after the fi

Posted Images

A purpose bred gun dog is a master at gun dog work..a lurcher is a dabbler and master of many trade's.. :thumbs:

Whippet master at rabbits

Saluki master at coursing

Deerhound master at Deer

Lurcher master at nothing........................................No?

:whistling:

So we can say 100% that the Lurcher is a jack of all trades but master of none and the Lab or Spaniel is master at its job

Spot on. Gundogs were bred to fulfil specific rolls on the shooting ground and would have been owned (generally speaking) by the upper classes who could afford a number of different dogs for different jobs. Lurchers were the dog of the working class poacher who could most likely only afford to keep one dog so it had to be proficient at all methods of taking game.

On my local shoot there are 8 pickers up (not all on the same days) using a total of 17 dogs. Of these there are 15 labs, 1 lab x (mine) and a cocker. From this I would sumise that labs are best for the job of picking up.

If i had a lurcher that was only good at picking up i would be sadly dissapointed.. :D

That's fair enough, so would I, but when I'm picking up on the shoot I want my dog to pick up shot birds and not chase anything that moves. Speed is not important but a good nose is. I'm not knocking lurchers per se, they have their place, but a driven shoot is not it. Basically what I'm saying is that the "best breed" of gundog depends wholly on what you want it for and no "all-rounder" will out perform a dog specifically bred for a task at that task.

Edited by Mooch.

Good post Mooch lurcher's deffo don't have there place on a driven shoot but niether do many gun dog's :D ...but by the love god.. :D i will challenge anyone who say's lurchers are not a all rounder hunting dog..because the plain and simple fact they can not be beaten as a allrounder.. :boogy:

Best nose and best hunting dog I've ever witnessed was my first cross collie greyhound, eye wiped many a purpose bred gundog, the shooting fraternity would like to label all lurchers as simply point and fire dogs. But a well bred lurcher with a good base line is the equivilant of and better than many gundogs.

Good post Mooch lurcher's deffo don't have there place on a driven shoot but niether do many gun dog's :D ...but by the love god.. :D i will challenge anyone who say's lurchers are not a all rounder hunting dog..because the plain and simple fact they can not be beaten as a allrounder.. :boogy:

Well Millet, I think we're in agreement (a THL first)! If you have you only want a dog to do a specific (shooting) job get a purpose bred Gundog. If you want an allrounder for a bit of this and that, get a lurcher. Although, that does throw up the question of which cross but that's not for this section.

Mackay, you have clearly only met shit gundogs.