cow legged

right im just wondering what is cow legged is it bad for your dog or dosent it really matter i would just like all off your opinions as iv got a new pup and my dad said he thinks it might be cow legged , thanks

The point of the hock is the canine equivalent of our knees.

Cow hocked means that these point inwards,causing the dogs feet to toe out,it is a confirmation fault ,but many dogs have it and pursue a long and productive working life,it can indicate a propensity to slipped patellas later in life, but it is far from a given.

How old is your pup mate. Some young dogs do look cow hocked but straighten out as they get older. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Only matters if your going to show your dog anyway. ATB Jeffers :thumbs:

Dead right, it's a youngster, brought up right it'll probably rectify and cause no problems, thing is, what could be cow hocked to one may not be to another, don't let comments put you off your pup. Handsom is as handsome does! :thumbs:

Anyway's, if it can't run, you can always milk it! :D:icon_redface:

right im just wondering what is cow legged is it bad for your dog or dosent it really matter i would just like all off your opinions as iv got a new pup and my dad said he thinks it might be cow legged , thanks

go and ask your da

The point of the hock is the canine equivalent of our knees.

Cow hocked means that these point inwards,causing the dogs feet to toe out,it is a confirmation fault ,but many dogs have it and pursue a long and productive working life,it can indicate a propensity to slipped patellas later in life, but it is far from a given.

It's actually the equivalent of our ankle, and cow hocks are detrimental to good performance. Anything out of line in a dogs legs constitute a weakness, as forces go straight up the leg when the dog pushes against the ground. It works like two 3x2's end on , if you put weight on them ,so long as they're in line they will hold, out of line they flip out.

Guest crobinc840

The previous posts are right on, the structure of the legs are very important for running dogs and displacement can cause stress and injury. But puppies do have a great deal of changes going on so it will be hard to know if the dog has the problem at all until it has finished growing. This is about whippets My link

How old is your pup mate. Some young dogs do look cow hocked but straighten out as they get older. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Only matters if your going to show your dog anyway. ATB Jeffers :thumbs:

my dog is 16 week and his legs bend out wards i would just like advice because iv got him 4 good work and i would like to no if it will affect his profamance