eu polecat crosses

big GJ

HI. Pure[/b europeans have pure european parents. As this they can only be classed as pures. As soon as it is crossed with a ferret it becomes a ferret with say 50% polecat as that is what a ferret is. Domesticated hybrid of polecat. Hope that makes sense. Wild polecats you can get like zoos will be naturally top of the gene pool as they have not been breed contaminated. We have a 2nd generation pure polecat which basicall means it has be breed down the line twice with pure parents. He is very nippy and hard to handle but can be just. More perserverance will help over time. These arn't great for working for obvious reason they are normally larger as polecats are so more likely to trap a rabbit. You can get plecat crosses hybrids whatever they are called most the time sellers just trying to make it sound good to get more money. These are fine and handable but begs the answer why does anyone want a pure european ferret that will be unhandable anyway unless you are a zoo, breeding for their future or like us breeding to keep the healthy originall gene pool in ferrets for future generations. We will never breed pure polecats for the public but everyone has there own opinions.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

his feckin grandad paid £17k for a few ferrets :laugh: :laugh:   you should have pointed him in my direction, I could have done him 6 for £10k and they would have come with birth certificates, a f

what did the original eu polecats do?it must have been something trully wicked to get deported!

Some say the hybrids/EU polecat strains are great, others wouldn't touch them. So it's a mix of opinions. If your animals work well, whether polecats/hybrids or ferrets, then you can hopefully expect

IVE GOT A BIG EU X SCOVY SANDY HOB LAST TIME HE DONE AT LEAST TEN UNDERGROUND .ONE ESCAPED A OPEN HOLE AFTER ABOUT 1HR BUT IT WAS CHEWED TO BITS .HES NOT GOING BK OUT GOING TO GET SOME JILLS OF HIM.

Why isn't he going back out? Do you not like that he kills so many underground? If you don't like his working style then why on earth would you breed him?

Ive had a few hybrids and yes.. mostly ( not all ) they are harder to handle, they dont bond and become proper friendly like a ferret..

Stick to a ferret from good working parents :thumbs:

i have just got some new ferrets that are meant to be eu crosses but some of the kits in litter were a cinnamon colour i thought if you x them all them would have polecat colouring is that true

depends what colour the parents are if its a cinnamon hob to a eu poley jill then yes some young will take the fathers colour :thumbs:

mother was polecat colouring father was supposed to be eu polecat just wanted to no one is quite placid but but the other one keeps latching on when it bites i have give it a bit food just in case it was hungry i see how it gos

If you cross a pure eu polecat with any colour ferret ,the young will all be polecat coloured. If you get any other colour then the eu is not pure.

Are you saying that it is impossible for a pure European Polecat to carry recessive genes? If this is the case then how did we ever end up with different coloured ferrets?

Unlikely that he's found a pure poley throwing recessives, but by no means impossible.

• 8 months later...

HI. Pure[/b europeans have pure european parents. As this they can only be classed as pures. As soon as it is crossed with a ferret it becomes a ferret with say 50% polecat as that is what a ferret is. Domesticated hybrid of polecat. Hope that makes sense. Wild polecats you can get like zoos will be naturally top of the gene pool as they have not been breed contaminated. We have a 2nd generation pure polecat which basicall means it has be breed down the line twice with pure parents. He is very nippy and hard to handle but can be just. More perserverance will help over time. These arn't great for working for obvious reason they are normally larger as polecats are so more likely to trap a rabbit. You can get plecat crosses hybrids whatever they are called most the time sellers just trying to make it sound good to get more money. These are fine and handable but begs the answer why does anyone want a pure european ferret that will be unhandable anyway unless you are a zoo, breeding for their future or like us breeding to keep the healthy originall gene pool in ferrets for future generations. We will never breed pure polecats for the public but everyone has there own opinions.

That's very interesting, tell us more :hmm:

Poley gene = Dominant - in all pure half x litters (haha) all kits will be poley colored.

'Better' than a ferret??? How?

I stick ferret down, all rabbits are bolted or killed and dug to. Ferret comes out, is picked up and stuck in box, and off to next set. Keeps on all day until dark. And next day and next etc.

How can that be done 'better'. Rabbits gutted and skinned?

Don't get it.

Please explain.

Poley gene = Dominant - in all pure half x litters (haha) all kits will be poley colored.

'Better' than a ferret??? How?

I stick ferret down, all rabbits are bolted or killed and dug to. Ferret comes out, is picked up and stuck in box, and off to next set. Keeps on all day until dark. And next day and next etc.

How can that be done 'better'. Rabbits gutted and skinned?

Don't get it.

Please explain.

I just brought this thred up for kay mate, ferret-land hasn't been on since December. I'm sure if they had what they can call pure eu ferrets they would be breeding and selling them as fast and for as much as possible...

http://www.ferret-land.co.uk/

I have a few pair of EU's a work, along with a trio of dark polecats. I don't find any different work wise, as Ideation says... I find that the polecats are much easier to handle, and i trust them more. The EU's are well knowns for their biting and latching on.

These EU`s that you`ve got,, where did you capture them ?? cause if it was in the UK,, they are ferrets,, cause there is no chance that any ferral ferret in this country has not been contaminated by domesticated ferret blood, ! but then how would you know? cause they are all just ferral or domestic ferrets,,DNA testing would probably come up with no difference you might find a purely wild animal in "EU" land,,but not here .

Are you lot throwing these threads up just to do my head in ??????

I have a few pair of EU's a work, along with a trio of dark polecats. I don't find any different work wise, as Ideation says... I find that the polecats are much easier to handle, and i trust them more. The EU's are well knowns for their biting and latching on.

These EU`s that you`ve got,, where did you capture them ?? cause if it was in the UK,, they are ferrets,, cause there is no chance that any ferral ferret in this country has not been contaminated by domesticated ferret blood, ! but then how would you know? cause they are all just ferral or domestic ferrets,,DNA testing would probably come up with no difference you might find a purely wild animal in "EU" land,,but not here .

Rake aboot i have no intention of doing your head in.. In actual fact if you must no, our EU's were imported 19 years ago from western Eurasia. 6 were imported which cost my grandad £17,700 and a few pence.. If you would like i can prove this too you. we have birth certificates... :thumbs:

Rake aboot i have no intention of doing your head in.. In actual fact if you must no, our EU's were imported 19 years ago from western Eurasia. 6 were imported which cost my grandad £17,700 and a few pence.. If you would like i can prove this too you. we have birth certificates... :thumbs:

over there they are know as the forest polecat.. read up about em mate.

There are alot of so called EU's about, people think if there black then they must be EU's. 1974 the first true EU was found, apparently in north yorkshire.. i don't no how they proved this was a true EU.. but that is how the black ferrets with no white mask came to be known as EU. Then you have your Dark Polecats (not Black) Dark with a faint mask. This could all be aload of boll#x but this is what i have come to know over the years.

The European polecat (Mustela putorius), also known as the black or forest polecat (as well as a host of other names), is a species of Mustelid native to western Eurasia and North Africa, which is classed by the IUCN as Least Concern due to its wide range and large numbers.[1] It is of a generally dark brown colour, with a pale underbelly and a dark mask across the face. Occasionally, colour mutations, including albinoes and erythrists, occur.[2] Compared to weasels and minks, the polecat has a shorter, more compact body,[3] a more powerfully built skull and dentition,[4] and is less agile in its movements.[5]

It is much less territorial than other Mustelids, with animals of the same sex frequently sharing home ranges.[6] Like other Mustelids, the European polecat is polygamous, though pregnancy occurs directly after mating, with no induced ovulation.[7] It usually gives birth in early summer to litters consisting of 5-10 kits, which become independent at the age of 2–3 months. The European polecat feeds on small rodents, birds, amphibians and reptiles.[8] It occasionally cripples its prey by piercing its brainwith its teeth and stores it, still living, in its burrow for future consumption.[7][9]

The European polecat originated in Western Europe during the Middle Pleistocene, with its closest living relatives being the steppe polecat, the black-footed ferret and theEuropean mink. With the two former species, it can produce fertile offspring,[10] though hybrids between it and the latter species tend to be sterile, and are distinguished from their parent species by their larger size and more valuable pelts.[11]

The European polecat is the sole ancestor of the ferret, which was domesticated more than 2000 years ago for the purpose of hunting vermin.[12] The species has otherwise been historically viewed negatively by humans. In the British Isles especially, the polecat was persecuted by gamekeepers, and became synonymous withpromiscuity in early English literature. During modern times, the polecat is still scantly represented in popular culture when compared to other rare British mammals, and misunderstandings of its behaviour still persist in some rural areas.[13]

• Like 1