picked up....a little

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well on a cold night and after a visit from the 'professional' pest controler things picked up a little. the owner did give the 'pro' a mouthfull asking him why when he is paying him i have managed t

so what exactly is your recovery rate mate?

Cheers Half for the nice comment about my video clips ,   I too like a crack and a laugh buddy .   Believe me though buddy that there are a lot of lads on here that are also out, and doing wh

Posted Images

Oh I forgot to say mate,

Well done on the 100 plus rats you shot in the last 2 weeks, thats not bad at all :thumbs: .

You should go to Newbottle Farm mate if Mark ever invites you to shoot there for him.

We managed well over 100 + in just 2 nights :tongue2: .

Didn't retrieve all the bodies though, probably only about 93 if I remember on that occasion, damn :doh:

Atb and keep retrieving them shot rats :laugh:

Si

Edited by zini

Oh I forgot to say mate,

Well done on the 100 plus rats you shot in the last 2 weeks.

You should go to Newbottle Farm mate if Mark ever invites you to shoot there for him.

We managed well over 100 + in just 2 nights :tongue2: .

Didn't retrieve all the bodies though, probably only about 93 if I remember on that occasion, damn :feck:

Atb :laugh:

Si

93 and no picture zini :D yes i like a bit of crack as much as the next man :yes:

no mate i don't claim to be any kind of airgun hunting expert and i certainly no doubt have a lot to learn but one thing i do is i get out there and DO IT instead of talking about doing it and making unsubstantiated claims of what i have and haven't shot.

present company excluded of course. ;) i KNOW you're out there doing it mate,regularly because i've seen your video clips and very good they are too.

Cheers Half for the nice comment about my video clips :thumbs: ,

I too like a crack and a laugh buddy :thumbs: .

Believe me though buddy that there are a lot of lads on here that are also out, and doing what they say they are daily and weekly :yes: .

To be honest I don’t need to see photos from them, or feel that i have to prove to other people what ive achieved when out shooting has i know my own and their capabilities, as ive shot with many of the regs on here on a number of occasions, paper crunching, metal target shooting and hunting all the UK vermin species by a few.

The lads are pure quality and a pleasure to spend time with shooting and it has paid me to spend time with them as I have learnt loads from them while hopefully also passing on something too.

As you will know its not all about the big bags of this and that, its about getting out and enjoying yourself, doing your thing and spending time with quality mates :thumbs: .

Oh before I forget, the real reason that there was no photo of all the rats together in one pile is this:

We shot loads in the night till about 2AM and picked up a lot of bodies but couldn’t find all that we shot, we put all the rats in one area and Mark the Farm manager was going to look for the rest in the morning at work.

He found loads of the ones we missed (pick up missed) in the night and went to place them with the other dead ones knowing that we were also shooting that night to and it would make a really awesome picture.

The problem was though a fox of some other carnivore had got in the farm and wiped out the dead ones :doh: only leaving 1 or 2 mangled bodies.

That night we had another good night and shot lots more retrieving quite a few but not all till the morning when again Mark found tonnes more.

So that’s why there wasn’t a huge photo shot, shame really but the fox or what ever it was, was really happy :laugh:

ATB

Si

Edited by zini
  • Like 1

Cheers Half for the nice comment about my video clips :thumbs: ,

I too like a crack and a laugh buddy :thumbs: .

Believe me though buddy that there are a lot of lads on here that are also out, and doing what they say they are daily and weekly :yes: .

To be honest I dont need to see photos from them, or feel that i have to prove to other people what ive achieved when out shooting has i know my own and their capabilities, as ive shot with many of the regs on here on a number of occasions, paper crunching, metal target shooting and hunting all the UK vermin species by a few.

The lads are pure quality and a pleasure to spend time with shooting and it has paid me to spend time with them as I have learnt loads from them while hopefully also passing on something too.

As you will know its not all about the big bags of this and that, its about getting out and enjoying yourself, doing your thing and spending time with quality mates :thumbs: .

Oh before I forget, the real reason that there was no photo of all the rats together in one pile is this:

We shot loads in the night till about 2AM and picked up a lot of bodies but couldnt find all that we shot, we put all the rats in one area and Mark the Farm manager was going to look for the rest in the morning at work.

He found loads of the ones we missed (pick up missed) in the night and went to place them with the other dead ones knowing that we were also shooting that night to and it would make a really awesome picture.

The problem was though a fox of some other carnivore had got in the farm and wiped out the dead ones :doh: only leaving 1 or 2 mangled bodies.

That night we had another good night and shot lots more retrieving quite a few but not all till the morning when again Mark found tonnes more.

So thats why there wasnt a huge photo shot, shame really but the fox or what ever it was, was really happy :laugh:

ATB

Si

that fox probably died the next day of lead poisoning the amount of pellets in his belly ;)

good shooting zini mate.

Edited by half n' half

I'll be happy to teach anybody everything I know about shooting rats,it will take about five minutes,if they wanted to learn about ratting with dogs that will take a lot longer,at least fifteen minutes lol

I'll agree it's good fun but it ain't like other hunting sports that can take time to get to grips with.

Nice one Pointer bud and fair play to you pal :thumbs:

You are known on here as the rat shooting king of the section :notworthy:

Full respect to you pal and a nice offer for anyone to take up.

ATB

Si

The hard part is getting permission on farms with enough rats,after that I've found the actual shooting to be straight forward.if others want to mock me for saying that then that's their right,it won't bother me.

Our lass goes ratting but dosent know the first thing about hunting as such.

I rarely shoot rats now as it lost it's appeal for me but I've done enough over the last eight years to feel I know the score and can voice an opinion even if it goes against the grain and upsets some.

No need to take anybody out I'll give a quick lesson.get a rat in the crosshairs and pull the trigger.

The hard part is getting permission on farms with enough rats,after that I've found the actual shooting to be straight forward.if others want to mock me for saying that then that's their right,it won't bother me.

Our lass goes ratting but dosent know the first thing about hunting as such.

I rarely shoot rats now as it lost it's appeal for me but I've done enough over the last eight years to feel I know the score and can voice an opinion even if it goes against the grain and upsets some.

No need to take anybody out I'll give a quick lesson.get a rat in the crosshairs and pull the trigger.

I'm fairly new to it Pointer bud so I love it and would sooner go ratting that bunny shooting at the minute.

I think it's because it can be fast and furious and it tests my technique in regards to speed while still being accurate.

It's also really nice to be close to the quarry for some reason.

ATB

Si

I've only managed to get one rat on film, nice shot it was too :yes: Dillan wanted to go for a fag break and as I was around his side of the farm (and it's his permission) it would have been rude not to let him go for a break.

His video camera is his NV unit :gunsmilie: and the results of it are pretty bleddy good :boogie:

Its actually quite difficult to shoot using a camcorder at waist level as your scope :yes:

Still the shot was nice, right between the eyeballs as it popped it nut out of a broken drain pipe :D

H&H, I only measured that rat because someone mentioned the size of them growing to 19 inches were the biggest ones they have seen. I've seen em much bigger at the pig farm, but other places that I have seen them, they dont grow anywhere near that size.

That big fecker I popped that went down out of site had the body circumferance of Dillans big lamp on his HW100.

I'm sure if I had managed to recover that fecker, it would have been over 20 inches. Honestly some of the big ones are so heavey they litterally "Waddle" and can barely lift themselves off the ground. I don't know how they manage to climb verical walls into the roof and on top of the roof, but they do!

One day, either Dillan will get one of those big feckers on video (he shoots there more often than I do) or I'll get one on still photo (with tape to prove lenght) :yes: Until then, I'll just say, keep at the vile disease ridden vermin :thumbs:

Phantom

I certainly wasn't knocking rat shooting in anyway.there's nothing wrong with enjoying the easier hunting sports.

My rabbit shooting has been very limited.apart from easy shots at night or out of a car window and early season on the dales I haven't done any.

I would happily go shooting rats with anyone but I know I'd look rubbish out with you lads on the rabbits or crows etc,but that's my point............I think ratting comes down to what numbers are on a place over any kind of skill on the shooters part.I know I'm a crap shot yet I'm a competent fairly successfully rat shooter.

Good hunting.

I've only managed to get one rat on film, nice shot it was too :yes: Dillan wanted to go for a fag break and as I was around his side of the farm (and it's his permission) it would have been rude not to let him go for a break.

His video camera is his NV unit :gunsmilie: and the results of it are pretty bleddy good :boogie:

Its actually quite difficult to shoot using a camcorder at waist level as your scope :yes:

Still the shot was nice, right between the eyeballs as it popped it nut out of a broken drain pipe :D

H&H, I only measured that rat because someone mentioned the size of them growing to 19 inches were the biggest ones they have seen. I've seen em much bigger at the pig farm, but other places that I have seen them, they dont grow anywhere near that size.

That big fecker I popped that went down out of site had the body circumferance of Dillans big lamp on his HW100.

I'm sure if I had managed to recover that fecker, it would have been over 20 inches. Honestly some of the big ones are so heavey they litterally "Waddle" and can barely lift themselves off the ground. I don't know how they manage to climb verical walls into the roof and on top of the roof, but they do!

One day, either Dillan will get one of those big feckers on video (he shoots there more often than I do) or I'll get one on still photo (with tape to prove lenght) :yes: Until then, I'll just say, keep at the vile disease ridden vermin :thumbs:

Phantom

body circumference and length are un related in an adult rat.

just because you see a big fat rat does not mean its any loger than a lean one.plus seeing a rat and knowing how long it actually is a very different matter.

the only way to know the length of a rat is with a tape measure,not guesswork.

i'd advise the rat being dead before you attempt to measure it.