teaching dog to run down the beam

start with walking right up to the rabbits.dont slip until the dog is focused on the rabbit in the lamp.up the distance little at a time.they will soon get it.my bitch is just a year old and will run a 100 yrds down the beam if i give the psssst sound.great to watch.especially if they snatch that squatter out its seat.id say good luck but dont reckon you will need it.most dogs pick this up pretty quick. :thumbs: .atb.mat

well like the man said, But also give it time! some lad's rock the lamp to help the dog see, but i find the rabbits moves if you do that!!

So i hold the beam on the bunny till she saw it, or the other thing you can do, is try to get the rabbits to move and get the dog to watch it run!! best do that at 1st, and not on the land you hunt,as you'll get them lamp shy!!

I've done that on land with foot paths on, but no good for running dog's and + a anti slag is the owner!!

my mate has a young dog the same age im helping him bring on the lamp iv told him not to rush things and fetch his dog lamping and let it watch mine work every now and then if we get a squater right out she gets a run (maybe twice a night) and when my dog fetchs them back let her have a play shes comeing on great. if you no someone with a older dog doing the job see if you can tagg along, but i would never double them up on rabbit atb pal

just get out there im relatively new to lurchers and just by being out with my dogs they quickly learn that the end of the light theres somet to chase my little russel pup thinks hes a lurcher hell run straight down the bam he 6 mnth been doing it since 12 weeks just get out trial and error i suppos and encourage the behaviour you want

hello mate try throwing a dummy lure in the dark then put the lamp on it getting the dogs to fetch it back then u can start trying to drop the lure walk away in diffrent directions then lamping it hopefully the dogs will get switched on pretty quick over a couple of nights hope this helps

start with walking right up to the rabbits.dont slip until the dog is focused on the rabbit in the lamp.up the distance little at a time.they will soon get it.my bitch is just a year old and will run a 100 yrds down the beam if i give the psssst sound.great to watch.especially if they snatch that squatter out its seat.id say good luck but dont reckon you will need it.most dogs pick this up pretty quick. :thumbs: .atb.mat

:thumbs: pssst bit works for me atb jamiew

spot on ...and the dog will trust you that there is something in the beam..and then you can run stuff out at a bit of a way :thumbs:

hi there i have a problem with my 2 lurchers when i slip them on a rabbit they dont run down the beam to where the rabbit is they just run and hope they knock 1 up what shall i do cheers

i agree with others advise about going back to basics but more importanty I would not be taking the 2 together until they had learned to run down the beam......its nigh on impossible to train 2 together.

hi there i have a problem with my 2 lurchers when i slip them on a rabbit they dont run down the beam to where the rabbit is they just run and hope they knock 1 up what shall i do cheers

Getting two dog right on the lamp is going to take you twice as long maybe longer, its all about experience, walking up on the rabbit with the lamp on is one way and not slipping the dog until he's sighted the movement of the fleeing bunny, the big problem with this is , the longer the lamp is on in a field , the quicker other rabbits are going to leg it , i only keep the lamp on for the shortest time possible,

An experienced dog will run directly to his target, after a quick scan , bunny located , lamp knocked off , dog sent ,and lamp only switched back on when near his target,

With a young dog on the slip , when you've located a rabbit on the lamp, knock it off, give him a word or sound to tell him what going on ,i use "Watch up" , he will grasp what it means pretty sharp and will be waiting for you to switch the lamp back on ,that way he will begin to associate the lamp with the rabbit , walk up a little closer to the target with the lamp off, knock it back on, and only send him after he's spotted the rabbit using a different word/sound,

Stay away from steep or hilly ground when starting a dog ,its too confussing for the dog , you wont be able to keep your lamp on your bunny long enough,

and if your dog dont catch his rabbit, knock the lamp off, pronto, no lamp on , no hunting, this is another problem with two young dogs, he'll figure out if he comes back he may have to go back on the lead and that means no hunting while he watches the other dog work,,so try giving each dog 3 or 4 runs each time, that way they may except it more, best of luck with them,,

All that advice and no one has told you to make sure that the wind is blowing from the rabbit to yourself and your dog. The youngster might even wind him before the rabbit leaves it seat.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Yes but you do not want that youngster to wind the rabbit. It has toi be by sight only.

Firstly, never EVER take out two dogs when starting a youngster.

secondly, i always ignore all squatters. The rabbit sat like a pancake will not teach your dog anything. You want to try and find a rabbit sat up. Out there in the beam. Keep the beam on the rabbit and the dog in the slip until the rabbit moves. Only let the dog go once he has seen the rabbit.Don't worry about scaring a few bunnies, its worth it.

You need to get it drilled intot he dogs mind that everytime the lamp lingers in one spot there is something there worth catching. I would only ever send my dog on a squatter once it has been running down the beam towards the rabbit.

just my take on things... :thumbs:

Good luck.