Weihrauch HW77. Which should I buy?

Gentlemen. Hi.

I'm a dedicated spring gun shooter through and through, and I'm seriously thinking about adding an HW77 Standard Rifle to my collection. The quality and accuracy of this rifle is unquestionable, the length and weight are perfect for a man of my proportions and it's available for left handers like me -marvellous!

I wonder though, if any of you have any knowledge or experience, good or bad of this rifle in .20 cal. Seems an excellent calibre if it lives up to it's claims of flatter trajectory than .22 with more punch than a .177. H&N make a .20 pellet I'm thinking would perform well in the 77s barrel, as their .22 FTTs do in my HW80s.. It's an expensive mistake if it doesn't! :hmm:

Or do I play safe and go for good old familiar .177 or .22 as an all-round accurate hunter? :hmm:

Just wondering what you experienced spring rifle shooters think of .20 calibre and/or would choose in my position?

Thanks in anticipation for giving my post your valued considerations. :signthankspin:

ATB

Simon

Sorry mate i dont have ant experience in the .20 calibre.

I love the .22 calibre myself and would either go .22 or .177 as you get a bigger pellet choice in both calibres.

The HW77K is a tried and tested competition winner in the early 90's with .177 and ive used it it .22 and its deadly accurate too.

It may pay to stay safe with what you already know pal.

You not thought about the HW97K or HW97KT?

Ive had both rifles and what can i say? (awesome).

Si

Hi Si and thanks for giving this your considerations.

You know, I have tried the 97KT and 97K, and I love em, and that was a .22 right handed stock version I scoped-up and zeroed during the summer, which speaks something of just how good a rifle in handling and ballance they are. And I will be adding one or two, I just know it but, the heft and length of the HW77 is seriously calling me right now. I just love everything about Weihrauch spring rifles and this is one of the very finest they ever built. You've hit a sound note with staying safe and confirmed my inner instincts to stay with what I know. I can shoot equally well with .177 or .22 mate. I'd like to see what your mate Tony Wall at sandwell Field Sports can do with tuning one.

Thanks again Si mate, appreciate it. :thumbs:

If anybody else has a positive to say for .20, let's hear it and give it consideration further! :hmm:

Simon

Great news mate :thumbs:

Tony is a brilliant rifle tuner mate and he as tuned 3 or 4 of mine in the past.

Also for other input the following have also had rifles tuned by him all HWs

Mark Vining

Jack Reid

Cheers bud for your faith in me

Si

Hey Si fella you are welcome mate :thumbs: . I'm an ex forces marksman myself (RAF Regiment)with 12 years active service on the SLR and L96-A1 rifle up to SNCO instructor. My springers are a weight and handling character I'm well used to and I love this sport with a passion. I've been shooting all my life just abouts and I've come to admire your dedication to this sport and your easy willingness to share your skills and sensible advice with anyone who asks for it. I'm sorry to read here that you've been in a bit of schtuck with your ex-wife and your spring rifles have had to be sold. That's no joke mate, I've been there myself, I realy bit the bullet hard to hang on to my own guns through just the financial clag you've been through. She didn't have to lose her shoe collection, so my rifles stay put! I really wish you well for the future with your girl, with your DVD business and your own military career, wherever it takes you.

Cheers buddy

Simon

Nice one Si. Time will soon pass to pension day mate. :big_boss: (been itching to use that one!)

Bandit Man, the plan is to order one through Sandwell Field Sports, get Tony Wall on the tuning job straight off, if he has the time alright, then I'll drive down to pick it up. As soon as I get to have a word with the man I'll report back here with what it all costs, alright mate. :thumbs:

ATB

Simon

If you buy the rifle from Tony and get a tune he does it £10 to £20 cheaper.

Thats how i did it, bought direct from Tony already tuned.

I look forward to your review Simon.

Si

Hi PM

I was given my Venom tuned HW77 .177 about 5 years ago and it's still awesome!! It was made before W. Germany became Germany (1990) and still punches sub 2 pence groups at 40 yards, in the right hands. It's a fantastic long range hunter and the weight only serves to add to your confidence in delivering less wobble when you're aiming.

The recoil is smooth and the Reckord trigger is as crisp as it was out the box.

Sandwell Field Sports quoted me £60 for a tune on another springer, which to my mind is bloomin' brilliant value!

The only thing I can say through personal experience regarding calibre (I shoot both), is that .177 seems more prone to gusty conditions.

Congratulations on a great decision You'll love it!

post-43460-0-43752000-1289395199_thumb.jpg

Hi silentshot1

Now that's what I'm talking about. A great rifle that looks, shoots and performs like a great rifle! Fantastic 77 you have mate and what a gift! Somebody truly loves you!! I'm a devotee of spring rifles and have been for 40 years since my aunt gave me my cousin's 50s vintage Webley .22 as an 8 year old, and went shooting with me dad.

I own and shoot 2 Weihrauch HW80 .22 rifles, an HW95k in .22 and a pair of TX200s; a .22 rifle and an .177 HC carbine which are magnificent, accurate shooting rifles. The HW77 was a rifle I've always promised myself and at last, after my family has been gobbling up years of my spare cash, I'm going to treat myself.

I love the heft, build quality and length of Weihrauch air rifles and the HW77 is an air gun icon as your beauty testifies. I'm a bit undecided yet as to whether it's to be .22 or .177. If as you say, Sandwell Field Sports do a superb tuning job for £60 that has to be one of the best bargains in airgunning today. I'm just hoping the rifle is available in a dedicated left hand stock as their beautiful HW80 is...or it's a trip over to Custom Stock, Sheffield way to commission something nice in Walnut.

What a beautiful rifle that would be.

Cheers silentshot

Simon

Deserves some top quality glassware too I'd say. :thumbs:

Archived