canada geese

Guest king ratcatcher

"In Flight", wouldn't even consider them, I don't think I'd have a go on the ground, from my experience you would not get close enough to have a definite "kill".

These birds would suss you before you were in "kill" distance with a "legal" air rifle IMHO..............Al :drink:

Echo Mad Als comment, if you can't be sure of the kill don't pull the trigger, that applies to all quarry.

Shot a few pheasants lately, and a great deal of pleasure is gained from watching and waiting.

And if the head shot isn't on, then they live for another day.

Although Canada Geese will come under pest control and not game birds, the same applies.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Our " Stabs " would be the boy for this one. He's certainly taken the odd Canada. Though wether he used a FAC Air Rifle or not, I really couldn't say.

Maybe he'll pick up on this one and divulge?

It's possible but as has been said above, if you aren't sure of the kill, don't pull the trigger.

It sharpens up your stalking skills that's for sure :laugh:

Ever since canadas went on the list i get calls from golf courses,holiday parks etc,all sensetive areas,they want them gone but dont want anyone to know. .22 rimfire subsonics,very early or last light ,head shots only and still they flap around for a good while,very tenacious of life. Air rifles no way up for the job,also very importantly they are on the open general licence but you must be able to prove good reason for culling them.

I've shot a few with a 12 ft/lb air rifle and never had one escape wounded. Obviously the head shot is the only way to go, taking a body shot would definatly result in a wounded bird. They only have small heads which are no better protected than that of a rabbit. Joe

just what i was thinking big body---small head ;)

Edited by bullsmilk
Guest king ratcatcher

Cheers guys, not that im going to go out and shoot them myself, just intrested in other peoples opinions, i reckon a good head shot ( just behind the eye) with a nice heavy slug ( bisley magnum, exterminator ) at around 15 yards would sort them right out even with 12 ftlb :)

Guest king ratcatcher

I bet it will millet, im not saying .177 is bad guys, belive me i love .177 and i use it aswell as .22, ive had my best shot with my .177 to, a 53 yard rabbit, with a daystate ft, only a mil dot holdover, and the pellet went right through its head, hit bang inbetween the eye and ear, gun chrones at 11.2 ftlb :)

I,ve shot them with a .223 at the base of the neck, and still had wounded birds.The only way i would use an airgun on one, is to beat it to death with.Purely a personal viewpoint, i have no doubt it can be done.

I,ve shot them with a .223 at the base of the neck, and still had wounded birds.The only way i would use an airgun on one, is to beat it to death with.Purely a personal viewpoint, i have no doubt it can be done.

:clapper::clapper: good one baldie lol

but like as saID if you think theres even a chance its not a head shot dont take it.......i bet even a neck shot from a shot gun even gives the odd wounded bird that gets away ..them scater guns aint no to good

Edited by bullsmilk

Agree baldie, most can be killed with small calibres if given a headshot...although we should strive for overkill rather than underkill always..