working lab...but not kc reg...

Just would like some opinions please...not shot down in flames lol...

Would it matter to you buying a pup bred from a brilliant working dog if it was not kc reg?? I have a great lab used for picking up, she is from a long line of good workers, but she is non kc reg. This doesn't bother me in the slightest, I would rather a dog did what it was bred for, rather than just having a piece of paper to its name. She can be traced back 5 generations of workers, yet I have been called all the names under the sun for having her as she is non kc reg...comments such as "how can we keep up the breed standard if people are breeding off non kc" etc etc.

Opinions please? Thanks.

I would rather the Kennel Club didnt exist! let alone be allowed to decide what the "breed standard" is. cross breeds such as cockerpoos and springadors make excellent working dogs and have no such breed standard. watch this http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=61370242 and ask yourself whether the Kennel Club and breed standardisation should exist? I have a working Springer from working parents none of which are KC and im glad!

All i can say is that i have a dog in the kennel that has no papers but i would pick up any day any place beside all these kc registered dogs and not feel out of place. Infact he would show half these so called "wonder dogs" a thing or too. Papers are simply a money making scheme for selling pups....... :yes:

If the dog is from good working stock then I would have it any day over a KC registered dog that didn't work. KC have a lot to answer for with certain breeds and I'm convinced line breeding has led to worse problems than there would have been otherwise.

The only downside I guess is if you want to breed and sell on. Others who are less enlightened might require KC papers before buying.

Cheers

Sib

Mine isn't KC Reg and he works just fine, it doesn't matter to me if there KC or not as long as both are in good health and can work then why not breed. Surely thats why we breed for working ability not cause a bit of paper can add 400 quid extra to the pups.

Interesting question

If you can honestly say that the dog is a good worker and has a clear bill of health then there is no reason not to breed her.

Personally i would not take a pup from you because i have seen enough working dogs that are claimed to be 'good' to have formed a pretty cynical view of this claim (not saying thats the case but i prefer to see)

However if i had seen her work and was impressed and you picked a good sire then i would not mind much about papers.

I think the big question is 'what are you going to gain in breeding a litter that you wouldnt have from buying a dog in (with someone else doing all the work in bringing the pups up' potentially with papers and the option to enter trials in the future?

Dan

The kennel club and breed standards in the same sentence :no: :no:

Kc registration is frankly pointless it is so easy to fake any dog can be passed off as registered the only true way to register a dog would be with the use of dna which won't ever happen cause some breeders think nothing of out crossing and faking paper work.I know for a litter of pups 2 years ago sold as having ftch parents and the nearest the bitch ever got to the ftch dog was a pic in the shooting times :blink: and another with such poor mouths they should have been pts.

Enjoy your dog and to feck with the people who criticise :thumbs:

I agree with most of the above replies, KC registration is certainly not the first thing i would be asking about when looking to buy a dog.

Dam and Sire's ability in the field and general health are more important imho.

PS how is the ferreting going?

ATB Mick

The pedigree system is fine !!!

Its people that f *** it up.

All in the name of money !

Dont complain about the system when there are thousands of bullx,s in rescue centres UK wide !

All responsibly bred of course ???

Take one page of dogs from THL.and see how often it says "only good working homes ",I bet only 10% at most go to good working homes ! The rest are sold to whoever comes up with the money first.

Puppy farmers,Puppy scammers all the same thing .===== unwanted dogs