gate,stop,poke net

fergie

I know what a long net is but what is the length and use for each of these nets stop,gate and poke?

and can anyone tell me what selvedge mesh is for please

I have only ever mad and used purse nets, im not sure I have the need for long,stop,gate or poke net

Thank you for your help

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FECKIN HELL ,     TRY BALANCING STONES ON A ROUND BAR STEEL GATE ????????? OR .... AN OPEN ONE ???????   BALANCING STONES ON GATES .... IN MY OPINION CAME ABOUT THROUGH WRITERS BULLSHITTIN

A GATE NET TO MYSELF IS USED ON THE BOTTOM OF A GATE DRAPED OVER THE BOTTOM FOOT OF IT AND A STOP NET CAN BE USED IN AN OPEN GATEWAY OR A SIMILAR GAP "HOW WOULD I NET AN AREA DEVOID OF HEDGES" SIMPL

Posted Images

OK fergie here goes :thumbs: a stop net used as it says to stop fleeing rabbits,usually passed through a hedge and beyond,can be put in a clearing or anywhere to stop them escaping, length can be from 3yds up to 25yds or more

Gate nets usually the width of a farm gate,they are draped over the bottom of the gate and can held by stones (on the gate) which will be dislodged when a hare or rabbit hits the netand gets entangled

Poke nets are generally large purse nets with pegs at both ends or sides depending how you set the net

This basically is the simplest description of the 3 nets :thumbs: you asked about

Y.I.S Leeview

Stop net is just a short long net, the sort of thing you might set up through a hedgerow.....gate net is traditionally a square meshed net set up on a gate(not being funny)for netting hares....poke net is a purse net with two drawstrings so you've got a peg at each end.......selvedge mesh is basically a double knitted mesh on the edges of a net where it takes most wear :thumbs:

I understand them all now appart from the Poke net i just can't picture it or se where or how it works

just think of a big 5 or 6 foot purse net with a peg at each end .Somtimes with sliders instead of rings and your there

A poke net spread out to it's largest diameter.

2009_0320net50yd0006.jpg

Hope that helps.

TC

Thats the way I'd do a poke net :thumbs: Longnetter mentioned 2drawcords IMHO 1 drawcord with a peg at each end is the way to go

Y.I.S Leeview

Sorry mate a poke net has 2 draw cords around the out side one is peged at one end and the other is peged at the other end a bit larger than the normal purse net.Hope this helps.P1

Sorry mate a poke net has 2 draw cords around the out side one is peged at one end and the other is peged at the other end a bit larger than the normal purse net.Hope this helps.P1

Could you please tell me, what advantage two draw cords would give over a net with one draw cord?

TC

Could you please tell me, what advantage two draw cords would give over a net with one draw cord?

TC

I've never used them myself but seen them placed on bigger awkward holes.I've also seen fox nets made this way.I really can't see the advantage.P1

[sorry mate a poke net has 2 draw cords around the out side one is peged at one end and the other is peged at the other end a bit larger than the normal purse net.Hope this helps.P1 [

TC

I've never used them myself but seen them placed on bigger awkward holes.I've also seen fox nets made this way.I really can't see the advantage.P1

With sliders on it and closing from each end its supposed to close faster but with a properly set net there would only be miliseconds in it .And setting two pegs for every net ?

A poke net has a drawcord just like a pursenet,but instead of beinng tied to the ring at the top of the net it passes through it and then is attached to another peg.Having two pegs allows a bigger net to close quicker than if it had a peg at one end.Poke nets can be used to cover large holes,around tree roots at the base of trees etc.poke nets can also be used propped on a couple of small poles to cover runs through hedges or at the bottom of ditches.It is always handy to have a couple in the bottom of your net bag.

OK fergie here goes :thumbs: a stop net used as it says to stop fleeing rabbits,usually passed through a hedge and beyond,can be put in a clearing or anywhere to stop them escaping, length can be from 3yds up to 25yds or more

Gate nets usually the width of a farm gate,they are draped over the bottom of the gate and can held by stones (on the gate) which will be dislodged when a hare or rabbit hits the netand gets entangled

Poke nets are generally large purse nets with pegs at both ends or sides depending how you set the net

This basically is the simplest description of the 3 nets :thumbs: you asked about

Y.I.S Leeview

no offence matey but youve done very little gatenetting ( if any )? if youdid you would know that it is very hardto balance the stones and it is also very loud not what you want when you plan to do the nieghbouring fields . . .

Y.I.S Leeview

no offence matey but youve done very little gatenetting ( if any )? if youdid you would know that it is very hardto balance the stones and it is also very loud not what you want when you plan to do the nieghbouring fields . . .

None taken :laugh: Balancing stones has never been a problem in the lime stone land, as for noise, what can I say ' keep the wind in your face' that way the game is running down wind :thumbs:

These Pictures have more stones then I would normally use, just to show You.

Y.I.S Leeview

post-18526-019811200 1288019888_thumb.jpg

post-18526-032084200 1288020015_thumb.jpg

Just a couple of differant gates around the farm yard as an example

Y.I.S Leeview

None taken :laugh: Balancing stones has never been a problem in the lime stone land, as for noise, what can I say ' keep the wind in your face' that way the game is running down wind :thumbs:

These Pictures have more stones then I would normally use, just to show You.

Y.I.S Leeview

post-18526-019811200 1288019888_thumb.jpg

post-18526-032084200 1288020015_thumb.jpg

Just a couple of differant gates around the farm yard as an example

each to there own matey :thumbs: ive tried using stones in the pitch black with numb hand and i found it very difficult so ill stick to my hazel pegs . . . do you use dogs mate ?