Good Laser Sight Or Red Dot

Hi lads been doing a good bit of shooting this week.Now i all ways set my sights at about 35 yards.This week i have been training the pup with the gun.So a lot of the work has been sitting in a good spot and letting the quarry come into sight.Sitting there quietly.You lads will know many times kit just appears in front of you.Far to close to even try to adjust your sights or its off.So iam looking for a good laser or red dot sight.I can range at between 10 to 15 yards.Got £150 to spare.Experience with a good sight and link would be well come.atb. Catcher.:thumbs: P S Been shooting for over 30 years just never used laser or red dot before.:thumbs:

Hi lads been doing a good bit of shooting this week.Now i all ways set my sights at about 35 yards.This week i have been training the pup with the gun.So a lot of the work has been sitting in a good spot and letting the quarry come into sight.Sitting there quietly.You lads will know many times kit just appears in front of you.Far to close to even try to adjust your sights or its off.So iam looking for a good laser or red dot sight.I can range at between 10 to 15 yards.Got £150 to spare.Experience with a good sight and link would be well come.atb. Catcher.:thumbs: P S Been shooting for over 30 years just never used laser or red dot before.:thumbs:

Probably better with a laser as you can shoot it from any position ie the hip when zeroed,wherever you see the laser dot,will be your point of impact.

You dont need to sight it through your eyes like the red dot.

There are plenty lasers out there,but you really want one with a small dot and external windage and elevation turrets, Corsak lasers are highly regarded and well within your budgetMy link.

Probably better with a laser as you can shoot it from any position ie the hip when zeroed,wherever you see the laser dot,will be your point of impact.

There are plenty lasers out there,but you really want one with a small dot and external windage and elevation turrets, Corsak lasers are highly regarded and well within your budgetMy link.

Cheers mate will have alook.:thumbs:

This is not quite the case im affraid, a lazer will only mark the point of impact at the one range just the same as a scope, this is due to the curved flight path of the pellet. not so much so with 177 as with 22 but curved all the same.

you can however zero a lazer along side your scope and use it to help find the ranges. ie zeroed at 30m with your scope,so when you look throug the scope the dots on the cross hairs. it the target is closer it will appear over.and vise verser.

im sure zini (si) will be along at some point to put this in much better and more detailed terms for you.

atb

Andy :thumbs:

This is not quite the case im affraid, a lazer will only mark the point of impact at the one range just the same as a scope, this is due to the curved flight path of the pellet. not so much so with 177 as with 22 but curved all the same.

you can however zero a lazer along side your scope and use it to help find the ranges. ie zeroed at 30m with your scope,so when you look throug the scope the dots on the cross hairs. it the target is closer it will appear over.and vise verser.

im sure zini (si) will be along at some point to put this in much better and more detailed terms for you.

atb

Andy :thumbs:

Agree looking for a good one.:thumbs: I dont have to piss about with all the time.:thumbs:

Edited by Catcher 1

i think by the sounds of thing pal that you would be ok keeping your normal scope on the rifle zerod as normal. and fitting a lazer to the gun also, zero this at either ten or 15. thus giving you your normal scope zero and an the lesser lazer zero. and even at 10-15 the cheeper lazers wont be producing a large dot and will still be quite visiable in the daylight houers even with the sun at full whack.

thats what i would do if i were you.

see if you go with the red dots chances are its going to mount instead of your scope, then were into rezeroing all the time.

hope this helps with your dessision a little mate.

atb

Andy

i think by the sounds of thing pal that you would be ok keeping your normal scope on the rifle zerod as normal. and fitting a lazer to the gun also, zero this at either ten or 15. thus giving you your normal scope zero and an the lesser lazer zero. and even at 10-15 the cheeper lazers wont be producing a large dot and will still be quite visiable in the daylight houers even with the sun at full whack.

see if you go with the red dots chances are its going to mount instead of your scope, then were into rezeroing all the time.

atb

Andy

Hi mate going with the laser.atb. Catcher:thumbs: Izero my scope at 35 yards

Edited by Catcher 1

atb

Andy

Hi mate going with the laser.atb. Catcher:thumbs:

no worries mate. :thumbs:

Hi Catcher buddy,

For what you are talking about here I would recommend a Hawke laser.

They cost £30 new and that comes with the mount etc.

I use one myself.

Im not sure what calibre or power of rifle you use mate.

I use an r10 in .22 at 11.7 ft / lbs with RWS Super Field pellets.

I have zeroed my laser at 10m. This gives me 2 zero points when calculated from the centre of the laser beam to the centre of my bore.

My laser is approx 8cm above my bore centre.

This means that I can shoot close range rats, ferals and rabbits at 10 metres or rabbits at my second zero point of 40 metres.

This works well in conjunction with a LRF.

If you go into the ChairGun software you can either work out your laser data

Relative to scope line of sight or bore.

I use bore.

I have just last week finished filming a section for my new DVD on lasers and their uses where I teach the above methods and using a laser as a range estimation tool for lamping bunnies.

Keep your rifle zeroed at 35 yards mate and then you will have 4 zero points 2 will almost be the same I would guess knowing a bit about ballistics.

The first zero point of the laser at 10m and the pellet and scope line of sight first cross over point, which could be around 10 14 metres.You would then also have your scope 35 yard zero and the laser second zero of arond 40 metres.

ATB

Si

Edited by zini
  • Like 2

Hi Catcher buddy,

I use one myself.

I’m not sure what calibre or power of rifle you use mate.

I have zeroed my laser at 10m. This gives me 2 zero points when calculated from the centre of the laser beam to the centre of my bore.

This means that I can shoot close range rats, ferals and rabbits at 10 metres or rabbits at my second zero point of 40 metres.

I use bore.

I have just last week finished filming a section for my new DVD on lasers and their uses where I teach the above methods and using a laser as a range estimation tool for lamping bunnies.

Keep your rifle zeroed at 35 yards mate and then you will have 4 zero points 2 will almost be the same I would guess knowing a bit about ballistics.

The first zero point of the laser at 10m and the pellet and scope line of sight first cross over point, which could be around 10 – 14 metres.You would then also have your scope 35 yard zero and the laser second zero of arond 40 metres.

ATB

Si

Cheers zini your a gent mate.Will have a look.All i need is 10 to 15 meters. ATB. Catcher:thumbs:

Hi Catcher buddy,

I use one myself.

I'm not sure what calibre or power of rifle you use mate.

I use bore.

The first zero point of the laser at 10m and the pellet and scope line of sight first cross over point, which could be around 10 14 metres.You would then also have your scope 35 yard zero and the laser second zero of arond 40 metres.

ATB

Si

Cheers zini your a gent mate.Will have a look.All i need is 10 to 15 meters. ATB. Catcher:thumbs:

Forgot to say bud.At the moment iam using the aa510 carbine.22.:thumbs:

Edited by Catcher 1