TRAINING

Hi, I own a cocker spaniel with working lines, hes 11 months old.I don't intend to use him as a working dog only as a pet. He is my first ever dog and I'm having problems with his recall due to distractions (chasing birds, rabbits, scents).I recently read information on internet regarding 3 week obedience courses. The dog will board at kennels, be trained and return a well behaved dog. He has a very loving kind temperament, and my main fear is this may be effected by the methods used. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience regarding this kind of training. The two places I have in mind are Verstone dogs, Cumbria or Lemington dogs, Scotland, any information regarding these places would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, I own a cocker spaniel with working lines, hes 11 months old.I don't intend to use him as a working dog only as a pet. He is my first ever dog and I'm having problems with his recall due to distractions (chasing birds, rabbits, scents).I recently read information on internet regarding 3 week obedience courses. The dog will board at kennels, be trained and return a well behaved dog. He has a very loving kind temperament, and my main fear is this may be effected by the methods used. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience regarding this kind of training. The two places I have in mind are Verstone dogs, Cumbria or Lemington dogs, Scotland, any information regarding these places would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best of luck mate your going to need it.A cocker from working lines that you want as a pet is going to drive you nuts.Hope you have grey hair.If not you soom will have.atb.and i mean it. Catcher.:thumbs:

Best of luck mate your going to need it.A cocker from working lines that you want as a pet is going to drive you nuts.Hope you have grey hair.If not you soom will have.atb.and i mean it. Catcher.:thumbs:

wise words catcher I keep 8 working cockers they work in pairs and are rotated morning/afternoon 1 day on 1 day off 7 days a week dogging in, our boundary covers just over 4 miles and we work this 4-5 times a day and then between each drive even all that won't slow them down.

wise words catcher I keep 8 working cockers they work in pairs and are rotated morning/afternoon 1 day on 1 day off 7 days a week dogging in, our boundary covers just over 4 miles and we work this 4-5 times a day and then between each drive even all that won't slow them down.

Hope the guy is,ant planing to leave it in the house.It will get bored and rip the place apart:yes:

Hope the guy is,ant planing to leave it in the house.It will get bored and rip the place apart:yes:

A bit like this :thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as3JMPx4FIU

A bit like this :thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as3JMPx4FIU

:laugh: :laugh: :yes:

OK - you need to find someone that can teach you how to train your dog! sending it away for 3 weeks will not solve your problem in the long run which is how to 'control' a working cocker. Ask yourself: 'what do I know about working cockers? what have they been bred to do?' and then then say to yourself: ' we've spent 100 years creating this breed so I'm not going to be able to change it within 3 weeks'

You need to do some serious research into working cockers and you need help to train it - you may never have any intention of working it on a shoot but you still need to train it as if you were going to.

Natasha

claire don't get too downhearted about this , working bred cockers can make excellent pets and he's young enough to get under control, he's only doing what his instincts are telling him , he's working , problem is he's gone 'self employed ' if he's only to be a pet then there are only two basic commands he needs to learn , stop to the whistle and recall to the whistle any working bred cocker can be taught these quite easily. It is important though that he gets exersised daily to let off some steam !! Have you done any training with him ? Do you use a whistle ?