toe nails !

Guest eddie 1

the lurchers nails are getting a bit on the long side, trimmed them back a little with no problems, so how long before the quick starts to recede to be able to cut them again ? he,s 11 now so doesn't do much other than walk. thanks.

Big problem with old dogs is that they don't do enough to wear down their claws. The quick will only retract if you nick the end of it, which of course makes it bleed. It will then shrink back a bit. But this is NOT a reccomended thing to do if you want the dog to trust you to handle its feet! With my old dogs I just keep the claws as short as possible and trim the ends every single week, just short of the quick.

Walk it on concrete, that should trim the nails as it walks.

Only if the dog is trotting hard or is heavily built, and even then, only if its claws grow at the correct angle to be worn down: I've seen plenty of road walked dogs whose claws are as long as hell, but they grow out of the end of the toes at too shallow an angle to put enough pressure on the ends to wear them down.

Guest eddie 1

Walk it on concrete, that should trim the nails as it walks.

Only if the dog is trotting hard or is heavily built, and even then, only if its claws grow at the correct angle to be worn down: I've seen plenty of road walked dogs whose claws are as long as hell, but they grow out of the end of the toes at too shallow an angle to put enough pressure on the ends to wear them down.

thanks for the replies i,ll cut them more regular.