dimming a lightforce lamp

Hi guys and girls the rabbits on local permission are becoming a bit wary of the lamp and I have a feeling it's a bit too bright for them it's a lightforce 170 with 12v 20ah battery pack, i have noticed the dimmer switch available but was wondering if changing bulb to something lower than 100w might help? also would any of the above increase the battery life on a nights lamping? don't want to go down the route of chopping wires from lamp etc etc, any advise much appreciated,

Cheers,

JB

Hi guys and girls the rabbits on local permission are becoming a bit wary of the lamp and I have a feeling it's a bit too bright for them it's a lightforce 170 with 12v 20ah battery pack, i have noticed the dimmer switch available but was wondering if changing bulb to something lower than 100w might help? also would any of the above increase the battery life on a nights lamping? don't want to go down the route of chopping wires from lamp etc etc, any advise much appreciated,

Cheers,

JB

Alright mate,you can do any of the above and it will improve the battery life,i personaly would go for the dimmer as you have still got the 100w there if needed,debens do a dimmer though its a bit pricey and i,m pretty sure clusons do one aswell...what about a filter that would be a cheaper option :thumbs:

alright mate, cheers for the reply , use a red filter as it is and the lamp is opened up a bit so it's not a full on beam. usually what happens though is when scanning about for rabbits they see the light and are off like a shot, the ones that stay put are very wary of it so we tend to have the lamp just to the edge of them but enough to still see through the scope.

alright mate, cheers for the reply , use a red filter as it is and the lamp is opened up a bit so it's not a full on beam. usually what happens though is when scanning about for rabbits they see the light and are off like a shot, the ones that stay put are very wary of it so we tend to have the lamp just to the edge of them but enough to still see through the scope.

You could try a dimmer mate but lamp shy is lamp shy :thumbs:

One of these is what you need matey.

http://www.cluson.co.uk/productsMain.aspx?CI_ID=353

I have one on my deben lamp but its only good to 50w so i bought one of the above for the 240 blitz. im going to butcher it so i can put it in the handle but for now it works as is.

Phil.

One of these is what you need matey.

http://www.cluson.co.uk/productsMain.aspx?CI_ID=353

I have one on my deben lamp but its only good to 50w so i bought one of the above for the 240 blitz. im going to butcher it so i can put it in the handle but for now it works as is.

Phil.

I put a debens dimmer in my striker handle, i use that one more than the one with the dimmer on the back....

All my lamps employ a dimmer, there is a lot of difference between a 100w Full on light and one that barely glows!

I think you will find bunnies will react differently.

All my lamps employ a dimmer, there is a lot of difference between a 100w Full on light and one that barely glows!

I think you will find bunnies will react differently.

he,s already using a filter which is going to knock the beam down loads, nothing to lose trying a dimmer though.....

I'd rather use a dimmer than a filter If I had only a choice of one item.

I also prefer orange to red.

I've used the Deben dimmer but got the Lightforce version.

Much better to use.

You could put another bulb in.

In the 170 besides the 100w you can try the 75w, 50w, 35w bulbs.

Make sure there Xenon or at least Halogen.

Longer battery life depending on the size of bulb fitted.

Easy to change as well.

• 2 weeks later...

lamp shy is lamp shy ,not really different filters can be a very productive way of getting your share of hunting whatever the quarry

also dimmers dont save your battery all the do is divert your power from bulb to the resistor theres still the same voltage applied but diverted

only thing is if you go for the filters how much do you need to spend on them to be satisfied with your vermin control

try different approaches to various places of your permission ,dont walk in same route,is there poachers ?you may think you only been there once or twice with a white light but could have a few up there

theres loads of options depending on your budget and other circumstances

good luck

I recently bought a red filter for the same lamp (170mm lightforce) it's amazing how much light it does cut out, really you now have a 150-200m beam, should be great for skittish bunnies.

thats exactly what i use mate. but the second the lamp goes on it's whooooosh bunnies go to ground. got a feeling they are being poached to death but I can't see how.