What range to zero my .22LR?

Hi,

I've decided to keep my maximum range at 60 yards when using my .22lr; just why I become profeicent with it. If my maximum range is 60 yards, what zero range would afford me the flattest trajectory possible? I use a 3-9x40 scope and subsonic rounds.

Cheers.

Edited by LordGamebore

Zero for 18yds keeps you nearly flat out to 50yds...touch of holdover out to about 75 yds max, with headshots.

WELL BLOW ME SIDEWAYS! I've been shooting .22rf for twenty odd years and the above has taken me by surprise. I've run the data in Sierra I6, Exbal and quick target and an 18 yard zero gives less drop @100 yards than a 40 yard zero, by 1.3" :victory:

I've just fitted a new stock to my .22rf and was going out to zero the rifle, guess at what range! Top stuff Andy. :thumbs:

John

Zero for 18yds keeps you nearly flat out to 50yds...touch of holdover out to about 75 yds max, with headshots.

WELL BLOW ME SIDEWAYS! I've been shooting .22rf for twenty odd years and the above has taken me by surprise. I've run the data in Sierra I6, Exbal and quick target and an 18 yard zero gives less drop @100 yards than a 40 yard zero, by 1.3" :victory:

I've just fitted a new stock to my .22rf and was going out to zero the rifle, guess at what range! Top stuff Andy. :thumbs:

John

Please post the chart or link, that does not make sense!

Are you talking 18 yard First zero or True zero?

The bullet falls from True zero so how could it possibly fall less from 18 yards that from 40 yards??

The bullet falls from True zero so how could it possibly fall less from 18 yards that from 40 yards??

What chart?

18 yard primary zero

40 yard zero = 10 yards / -0.73 20 yards / -0.17 30 yards/ 0.08 50 yards -0.41 100 yards -7.75

18 yard zero = 10 yards -0.59 20 yards 0.12 30 yards 0.51 40 yards 0.58 50 yards 0.31 100 yards -6.31.

Simple to understand?

John

What chart?

18 yard primary zero

40 yard zero = 10 yards / -0.73 20 yards / -0.17 30 yards/ 0.08 50 yards -0.41 100 yards -7.75

18 yard zero = 10 yards -0.59 20 yards 0.12 30 yards 0.51 40 yards 0.58 50 yards 0.31 100 yards -6.31.

Simple to understand?

John

John

You are joking...right????

LOOK AT THOSE FIGURES!!!

You are comparing a 40 yard zero to over a 50 yard zero.

An 18 Yard zero DOES NOT give you less drop at 100 yards than a 40 yard zero, all else being equal!

Simple to understand?