WHAT SIZE

jockdog

WHAT IS THE BEST FOR HUNTING IN YOURE OPPINIONS.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT 2.2 BUT READING AN ARTICLE 1.77 COMES OUT BETTER BECAUSE OF ACCURACY AT 40 YARDS WITH THE PELLET GROUPINGS.

HAD AIR RIFLES YEARS AGO BSA METEOR THEN A WEIURACH HW77K

GOT ABOUT £350 TO SPEND ON A RIFLE WHAT WOULD you SUGGEST FOR VERMIN

LIKE THE LOOK OF THE BSA, ULTRA

Edited by jockdog

hi mate,

it all depends what your classing as vermin?

quote;WHAT WOULD you SUGGEST FOR VERMIN

I use a air arms S410 .22 for rabbit control as a main quarry, but also feral pigeon, and at close quarters its a must for rats

the 177 or 22 debate has come up loads of times, and your always gonna get a mixture of answers as at the end of the day, every shooter uses his or her favoured pellet size and are therefore more likely to tell you that size

your best bet would be to find a good gun shop, that way you should get an un-biased opinion and should be able to get a test go of different rifles, I'd say find a rifle that feels right in your hands in the first place,

but weather its 177 or 22 both are gonna stop vermin

IMO it depends what quarry your going to shoot at more, .177 for a flatter trajectory which obviously helps at longer shots but it can cut straight through at closer ranges without transfering much energy to the target (not a prob if you consistantly go for head shots) but a slight miss on the boiler room shot and the animal is going to get a fair way before dropping plus being a lighter pellet the wind can affect it more easily. .22 for better stopping power. (larger face to the pellet so it transfers more of the energy upon hitting its target) so slightly out on a heart and lung shot will still bowl over a bunny nicely but being a slower, heavier pellet it has more of a rainbow type trajectory.

With modern pcp air rifles being as accurate as they are, head shots are achievable out to 35yds and more for experienced gunners.

It's horses for courses and most have their favourite calibre and stick to it whatever.

Mad_Al on this site seems to know his stuff with air rifles (helped me out anyway) :good:, and P&G certainly seems to be able to put the pellet in the right place! might be worth a chat with one of them for some decent honest advice

Edited by bullmastiff

Jock if you want a multi purpose tool,then it's .177.I've been shooting for the best part of 30 year's.I love old springer's and as a kid i only bothered with man size pellet's .22.Now with the pcp's on the scene,shooting an air rifle is far easier than when i started out,zero recoil,quieter,more acurate,etc.While i don't consider myself a marksman,i'm more than competent with an air rifle..177 has a flatter trajectory,so is easier to aim at distance,as there will be less pellet drop,is more penetrative,which when shooting feather is more important than stopping power.While a .22 is a handy tool at 20yards,ish,and doe's have more oomph,the looping trajectory take's lot's of practice to master,and i personally wouldn't take a shot at more than 25 yd's with one,even less at feather.With .177 i would be happy to take a shot further out,in good condition's i limit my shooting to 35 yd's.If your wondering whether that's far,pace it out and put a 10p down,thats your kill zone.I do use a low powered .22,but that's for close range indoor ratting.Best advice i could give you is,go to a local range,and ask for advice,i'm sure you'll even be offered a shot with one or two gun's,then you can see for yerself.Now if you were talking .22 at 40ftlb's well that's different,there aint no contest. ;)

Guest king ratcatcher

It all depends on what you like, forget feather and fur, you hit them right there not going far.

I use .177 and .22, ive got a hw97k .177 and use it for hft and hunting, but i also have an s16 .22 for the garden and close range stuff :)

As said, .177 is better over longer distances, but you obviously need to be accurate over those distances to maximise the chance of a kill shot. I have a .22 which I have no probs with at 30-35yds but wouldn't want to rely on it any further :)

If you can, try 'em both first

Hi Jock, until recently, I was of the opinion that .22 was theonly callibre to go for and never considered .177 for a second. At the moment out of five rifles only one of them is .22.

Why the change? Unless you are thinking FAC, .177 will out perform a .22, provided the operator can hit the target in the right place, i.e. head shots. You don't have to spend a fortune on a rifle, well not unless you're an impulsive crazy barsteward like me!!!!!!!!, but one thing that will make the difference to ensure a good hit, is a good scope................Al :thumbs-up:

Got a standard HW97k .177, zeroed at 25 yards, goes absolute flat up to 35 yards, at 50 yards a half inch lower. (Belgium, no limits, 18ftlb)

Hey there, how do you rate the 97K?, I know for one that may be up for sale, so your comments would be very much appreciated...........Al :thumbs-up:

Hey there, how do you rate the 97K?, I know for one that may be up for sale, so your comments would be very much appreciated...........Al :thumbs-up:

Just given one away Al. Nice rifle. Only slightly lighter than the TX (or that's the way it feels) and much easier loading mechanism. Doesn't have the build quality of the TX in my opinion but it's a nice rifle for the field.

Hi Mad Al, got 2airguns at the moment, the HW and a BSA lightning xl FAC, both.177.

If I compare both on prestations.. they are equal , but find the HW more accurate, and more "gun" for almost the same price as the BSA. The weight can be a problem for a tiny small person, but it give's a lot of stability when aiming. When you ask me? I find it the best springer at the moment! I shoot Diana's (RWS), CZ, Webley (patriot), Gamo cfx 30, 1000, 440 hunter and HW 80 and HW90.

ow, I almost forget to say that the 2 stage match triggers on HW's are making the big difference in shooting accurate.

Edited by targa

Jock,i just seen this on the airgunbbs,but i'd be quick cos it's at the right money.

airarms s200 mk2

.177 calibre

10 shot conversion

logun silencer

jsr 6-24x50 mil dot

£275 delivered next day.

Crackin set up to get you started mate. ;)