far away flighting geese

Hi all, as per the title really, I live on a small 7 acre property which has arable and grassland all around it. there are some geese that roost on on a nearby field, but they pass by about 200m+ away and they don't see to come any closer (they do seem to stray about 70m occasionaly), when flying to and from the field. I'm not really up for splashing out a few hundred quid on deeks I'm only going to use a couple of times, so before I waste my money on a goose call I can't sway the geese with, can you actually bend geese off theeir flightpath to investigate a call withough decoys?

Cheers

DB

otherwise, as ever, they fly right over the property when I'm not there!

Edited by danebrewer10

what species of Geese are they ?????????? Roosting on a field???????? never ever heard of that. So give us the true fact's (1)in the morning (pitch black, say 04.30am) where are the Geese???? (2)what species (3)how many are there . hopfully answer those questions an my self or someone can help an advise you :thumbs:

they're a mix of canadas, and I think greylags or pinkfeet, (i'm in the south east on the south downs), I'm not too sure abpout flock size but they come in dribs and drabs of say 4 groups of perhaps 15 or so and then several smaller groups of about 5 or so.

they arrive in the evening at about 7 o'clock usually though thay have been eariler, they leave about 7 o'clock in the morning, though if the weather's nasty or it's cloudy and misty they can hang on later, today they didn't all go 'till about 9:30- 10:00

the field is wheat stubble, and they've come back for a couple of years now....

Cheers

Dane

they're a mix of canadas, and I think greylags or pinkfeet, (i'm in the south east on the south downs), I'm not too sure abpout flock size but they come in dribs and drabs of say 4 groups of perhaps 15 or so and then several smaller groups of about 5 or so.

they arrive in the evening at about 7 o'clock usually though thay have been eariler, they leave about 7 o'clock in the morning, though if the weather's nasty or it's cloudy and misty they can hang on later, today they didn't all go 'till about 9:30- 10:00

Cheers

Dane

I went for a long walk the other day along a public footpath near the marsh scouting for a good spot and saw about 400 geese on the marsh edge which was cropped short like a billiard table. What was attracting them ? The farmer had some xmas domestic geese grazing near and calling constantly.

So get some geese ! You can eat them later.

Cheers

Dane

they wont be roosting, geese feed during the night and roost in the day (9 times outa 10)

will most likely be greylags with canada geese.

if they have come to that field in previous years and have done a few times recently you will be hard pressed to get them away from their flightline, i think your best chance would be a good number of decoys and a call, but not a cheap option

is there no way the owner of the fields they are landing on would let you have a crack??

As allready stated they are comming to feef NOT Roost.My advice get up in the morning an watch them into the field, where they come from and wind direction, small early skein will an can with the right calling be fooled in to range. I have inland Goose shooting where i get 60000+ Pinks each winter i never ever shoot them on the field they feed on !!!!!!!!!!!! your clear them off. thats fine if you want no more shooting. As for you having Pinks i'd say 99.9% they are Grey-Lag's. Dont forget NON TOXIC SHOT pick the right morning with a bit of wind and enjoy. But you must do you home work :thumbs:

CHeers Chaps, how hard is goose calling? I seem to be ok with the duck call, how different is the goose call? I have already bought some steel 2s for the very purpose..... I patterned some here-

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/166552-re-cartridges-for-duckgeese/

some interesting results....

so if they are feeding during the night, why do you see geese wandering around during the day? do they not need much sleep?

Cheers

Dane

oh and another thing, how do you actuaccy producxe the individual honks? is is similar to a duck call, saying something into the call, 'vause I can't imagine it's a straigh blow....

Ta

Edited by danebrewer10

mate trust me unless it is "Moonlight" Geese roost an NIGHT and FEED during the DAY. Your Geese wandering about are FEEDING. For some calling can be easy others NEVER master the art, but rest assured a Call an blowing ur butt inside out does not get u Geese. Get up watch listen an learn wait for the right weather conditions, get well hid on the flight line into feed Happy days. :dance:

mate trust me unless it is "Moonlight" Geese roost an NIGHT and FEED during the DAY. Your Geese wandering about are FEEDING. For some calling can be easy others NEVER master the art, but rest assured a Call an blowing ur butt inside out does not get u Geese. Get up watch listen an learn wait for the right weather conditions, get well hid on the flight line into feed Happy days. :dance:

huh? now I'm really confused, in one of your earlier posts you said that geese feed at night:

As allready stated they are comming to feef NOT Roost

and in the one you've just made you say they feed during the day!:

Geese roost an NIGHT and FEED during the DAY

I'm having a brain overload here :cry:

trust me im trying to help you. I NEVER said they were feedingat Night. Unless it is Moonlght.

Right your Geese are Grey-lags and Canada Geese. get ur butt out before light, the Geese will arrive from the water roost eg Lake, reservoire or coastal mud flat's these species of Geese will then leave approx 2-4hr later back to roost.-2-3hr before dark back again onto the field when its dark off they go again to water roost. What i think you have seen is the Geese arriving for there late feed going away before the Geese leave and becauce ur not there first light u see the Geese and think they have been there all night. So as stated before get ur butt out of bed an do ur home work and i bet what i have just said WILL be true :whistling:

trust me im trying to help you. I NEVER said they were feedingat Night. Unless it is Moonlght.

Right your Geese are Grey-lags and Canada Geese. get ur butt out before light, the Geese will arrive from the water roost eg Lake, reservoire or coastal mud flat's these species of Geese will then leave approx 2-4hr later back to roost.-2-3hr before dark back again onto the field when its dark off they go again to water roost. What i think you have seen is the Geese arriving for there late feed going away before the Geese leave and becauce ur not there first light u see the Geese and think they have been there all night. So as stated before get ur butt out of bed an do ur home work and i bet what i have just said WILL be true :whistling:

Right ... got it :thumbs:

no no I believe you!

seeing as I've never shot at night before, how easy is it? I mean are the birds shilouetted? or is shooting waterfowl after dark/before first light prohibited?

Cheers

Edited by danebrewer10

they wont be roosting, geese feed during the night and roost in the day (9 times outa 10)

will most likely be greylags with canada geese.

Utter rubbish, geese will feed when they like !

As said above, they will during periods of good moonlight(around the full moon), feed at night but tend to feed during the day during the darker phases of the moon.

Remember it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear foolish than to open it and remove all doubt.

I'm not really up for splashing out a few hundred quid on deeks I'm only going to use a couple of times, so before I waste my money on a goose call I can't sway the geese with, can you actually bend geese off theeir flightpath to investigate a call withough decoys?

You can try and flight them at night with deeks made from cardboard. Cut some egg shaped sections 2 feet in length and paint them with the tail bars in white emulsion and you will need some black paint for canada tails too I would imagine, but we don`t have many where I live so I`m only guessing.

Check out google images for pics of the tail bars.