9 week old mallards killed on me by a bite to the underside. Any eaten were on their backs and breasts eaten like a sparrow hawk eating a pigeon.I've ruled out buzzards. Not a mark on the head and there's a trout stream a field away from the pond they were on. 6 birds killed.

Any ideas ???????

9 week old mallards killed on me by a bite to the underside. Any eaten were on their backs and breasts eaten like a sparrow hawk eating a pigeon.I've ruled out buzzards. Not a mark on the head and there's a trout stream a field away from the pond they were on. 6 birds killed.

Any ideas ???????

Mink or otter.. :thumbs:

Yesterday when I discovered the dead ducks I put 3 of the dead ones out into a paddock beside the pond.

Around half ten last night a friend shot a dog fox in the paddock that was rooting at the dead ducks but I'd agree with most on here and say that an otter is the culprit. The nearby trout stream has a good population.

LADS ,

THAT COULD WELL BE A RAT .............

RATS OFTEN START EATING THE BIRDS CROPS FULL OF GRAIN WHEN THEY ARE HUDDLED OVER NIGHT ON THE GROUND ......... ANOTHER TELL TALE RAT ATTACK IS WHEN A WING IS FOUND SNAPPED OFF AT THE SHOULDER JOINT OR CHICKS WITH BROKEN WINGS , UP AT THAT SAME JOINT .. WHERE THEY TRY AND DRAG THE YOUNGSTERS AWAY FROM THE HUDDLE .....

A RAT WILL TAKE ONLY A FEW PER NIGHT USUALLY ....... THOUGH SOMETIMES WILL TAKE ALL THEY CAN GET WHEN IN YOUNG .......

IF IT WAS A MINK OR OTHER THEY WOULD ALL BE DEAD .........

LADS ,

THAT COULD WELL BE A RAT .............

RATS OFTEN START EATING THE BIRDS CROPS FULL OF GRAIN WHEN THEY ARE HUDDLED OVER NIGHT ON THE GROUND ......... ANOTHER TELL TALE RAT ATTACK IS WHEN A WING IS FOUND SNAPPED OFF AT THE SHOULDER JOINT OR CHICKS WITH BROKEN WINGS , UP AT THAT SAME JOINT .. WHERE THEY TRY AND DRAG THE YOUNGSTERS AWAY FROM THE HUDDLE .....

A RAT WILL TAKE ONLY A FEW PER NIGHT USUALLY ....... THOUGH SOMETIMES WILL TAKE ALL THEY CAN GET WHEN IN YOUNG .......

IF IT WAS A MINK OR OTHER THEY WOULD ALL BE DEAD .........

Depends on the size of the pond mate......seen plenty mink/otter killings and often they are in the 10/20. A large pond would give the ducks a decent escape route and eventually the mink/otter would stop for a feed.