dog collapsed again

took my dog a walk late last nite and he went for a run but when he came back he was realy panting hard so i took him over to the river and he started to go in and drink but when he got out it was like he was drunk and just collapsed and threw up .after ten minits he was up and fine . its not the first times happend had him at the vets and was told they dont no whats wrong with him and it was a mistery to them . so i think his days for running are finished hes only coming two but i feel bad because the dog gets into a state like that so im just golng to keep him a pet now as i cant stamd by and watch my dog suffer that its not fair on him .im gutted about it but thats life i suppose has any body els had this with thare dogs ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could he be over heating?????

mates dog went like this the other week but is fine again now .. some times it takes you not to let them drink to much to quick if they have over heated

Guest little lurcher

has your dog got a heavy muscle density ? my bitch isnt great in the heat as riohog says, she is affected by the heat and cant have sudden cold water , i use a greyhound drink and add tomatoes to her feed

sound like over heating mate, my dogs back legs used to go all wobbley, even though its night its still very warm out at times and dogs can over heat very quickly

jesus wet dog thats the first time i ever heard u give a straight answer :showoff:

he went after something and was away a few minutes but hes walked every day for miles so hes relitivly fit just not up to running fit as it been summer and i dont do the whole summer hunting thing but its happend two times now the last time it happend it was a cold day

seen it a few times with peoples dogs that werent fit enough for the work they had done. Panting and collapse but recover over a period of half hr. Wouldnt hurt getting his heart checked but if he isnt fit enough Id say thats your drama.

I'd try him when he is fit, not carrying excess condition- which sometimes doesnt take much in a running dog to affect them- and see how it goes. Get him running fit, everyday next to bike or car. Walking doesnt give this top end puff, plenty of dogs around here get walked for miles yet cant stick to a game of fetch for 5 mins

i run my dogs in high temps with no dramas, but last time I seen this we were pig chasing middle of winter, cold as, but the dog that collapsed wasnt fit enough and carrying too much weight.

Kye has a dog that has done this twice when he got after something when he was not fit ... he can run jackrabbits in the 70's when fit and have no problems, but twice after layoff from injuries when run with snow on the ground he collapsed afterwards and looked like he was seizuring ... likely your problem is due to fitness as hairbull said.