Urban Fox Re-Homing

According to rumour there have been a total of 9 Urban Foxes recently "rehomed" within 2 miles of my smallholding. Over the last few months my neighbour and I have lost a total of 40 chickens to what we think are urban foxes (they don't follow the regular paths or hunting patterns that we've become used to dealing with). Now nobody minds losing the odd chicken to a fox, that's nature and something that I can happily expect but to lose 40 in a few months (16 at once in one instance) and with some of these birds being rare breeds fetching in excess of £50 each, we're getting to the end of our patience.

We've tried lamping, calling and trapping but these new arrivals seem more determined and smarter (or hungrier) than your average fox. My only thought now is to try and tackle the problem at source. I'd like to contact the people who are responsible for releasing these creatures and ask them why? Surely rehoming an urban fox into the wild is cruel on the fox. They have no clue how to survive in the wild as they're used to having food left out for them. It also excasserbates an age old problem for us country folk. Since the hunting ban the fox population is already rocketing in the country without do-gooders releasing more foxes to kill (and often not even eat)our livestock which we rely on to feed our families.

Who is responsible? Why commit such a cruel act? Most urban foxes suffer from mange and haven't a clue how to survive. Who's going to pay for my chickens?

Seems like these ones know how to survive very well in the wild! :wallbash:

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::no:

are you sure its a fox or two ,have you considered possibly a mink? as whitby area is on the increase and i know a local shoot what lost a load of poults in a pen ,they thought fox cubs and wired the place to th hilt and nothing

and they staked out many a night as foxes are a routine mammal usually, again nothing and lost more birds until one day they saw the culprit

just a thought for you

this is an old ish post ,have you sorted it yet?

• 2 weeks later...

hi whitby sam just a couple of questions for you as this is a hunting site are you a hunting man if you answer yes to this question then my next question would be why do you pay direct debit to the same people who want to see an end to all hunting not being assey just observant

Yes I am a hunting man and I started paying the RSPCA a long long time ago. I did this because at the time I wanted to do my bit for mis-treated animals. I guess I should've cancelled it sooner. I've been naeve about what cause I was supporting with my hard earned.

If they were all about saving anamals would they realy need to spend so much on new vans so often, and have you seen there main HQ not just the normal office no a big big fancy no expense spaired building. It takes a lot of people like your good self to pay and keep that going.