vizsla's vs weimaraners

I know theres a few on here who are very clued up on both these breeds so i thought id post my question to you guys. ive had experience with both breeds (training not working) and like most have always found vizsla's much softer, not necessarily easier to train but a stern word has always been adequate reprimand.

I was wondering if this has ever reflected in other ways on the shooting field? i know many weimaraners will tackle game that bits back, and seem to have a deep hatred of foxes, how does this compare to the vizsla? are they any softer in the field?

cheers all

I know theres a few on here who are very clued up on both these breeds so i thought id post my question to you guys. ive had experience with both breeds (training not working) and like most have always found vizsla's much softer, not necessarily easier to train but a stern word has always been adequate reprimand.

I was wondering if this has ever reflected in other ways on the shooting field? i know many weimaraners will tackle game that bits back, and seem to have a deep hatred of foxes, how does this compare to the vizsla? are they any softer in the field?

cheers all

My vizsla is very wary of dead or walking game, if there is a rabbit or a winged partridge running away from him he will catch it if he can get near enough but when it comes to game not really moving he is much more wary and will just sniff it....strange lol

cheers all

Good topic, I have had both breeds as hunting dogs and I have got to say a weimaraner bitch is the way to go if you buy a weimaraner, I have seen a couple of nice male working weimaraners but mostly they are hard work and a lot are just scatty, the bitch is much more biddable.

My late departed friend Derek Wood used the vizslas for all his shooting life he trained them so well he was always being invited to shoots up and down the country, because of him I bought a male Vizsla from Gaye Gotlieb the famous breeder I named him Red and trained him to track deer and stalk and the odd rough shooting outing, after 2 years of gentle persuasion and field work I had myself the finest shooting companion a man could wish for, walking into the wind he would stop and point if a deer was near, if it was shootable and got into cover after being shot he never failed to find the body, he would call me in by woofing at me, he would work at distance with me directing using hand signals only, he was a very brave intelligent animal, one day he ran back to me when I stumbled down a rabbit hole and helped lift me up with his head and shoulders, sadly he is no longer here, a very poor excuse for a vet screwed up and killed him, that's another story. But a Vizsla is a great choice for any field work, be kind and consistant and when the dog has a donkey day give him a break, a short holiday from training, good Luck.

• Like 1

thanks for your input bangabunny, sounds like you had a cracking shooting companion :yes:

i had a bitch who was effectively killed by a dense vet.

did you do much work on driven shoots with your dog? if so how did it get on compared to the other breeds in terms of how handleable he was at distance etc?

cheers all

thanks for your input bangabunny, sounds like you had a cracking shooting companion :yes:

i had a bitch who was effectively killed by a dense vet.

did you do much work on driven shoots with your dog? if so how did it get on compared to the other breeds in terms of how handleable he was at distance etc?

cheers all

Sorry to hear that you lost your dog to a retard vet, you expect them to come home from minor surgery and they don't, that's hard to cope with.

In answer to your question, yes I took Red on only two driven shoots, I was beating, he pointed and retrieved perfectly and he was as steady as a rock, the other dogs were mostly spaniels and labs and he was as well behaved as the best of them, even better at obeying the whistle and hand single, I'm not to keen on pheasants I like venison, so shotguns and beating weren't for me. good luck. regards John

ok sorry for the delay guys been off the forums a bit lately as some of you know i keep breed and work both the weimaraner and the vizsla,i was a die hard spaniel man however ive been converted for a long time now,finding a good working strain of the two breeds are increasingly hard to find!!! dont be fooled by breeders or kennels that claim to be duel strain,most dont know what a pheasant is...others have websites with the same pheasant in every picture claimimg they work theyre dogs only to find theyve grabbed something off a local keeper or only do the odd day here and there.... i personally think working dogs should be worked and bred to work while show dogs should be showed!!! you only have to look at the way spaniels and labradors over the years have lost drive and working ability... the show strains and the works strains in these examples are so much different they should almost be called a different name for each dog,i feel the vizsla and weimeraner have gone this way too.. in the early days of the breeds coming here there was little to choose from and you took what you had!! i feel this has changed now and the workers and showers have separated.... i breed my dogs and look for drive,this i find the most important thing any working dog has to have!!! the more WANT the the dog has the harder it will push itself,its everything in a working dog and has to come first,good genetics are just as importand however looks are a bonus!! the show stuff gets bigger and bigger too its something i detest,i like them to be of a size thats managable to the type of land i work,my vizsla's are def smaller than the other strains i see around and i try to keep tham this way... the weimaraners are the same i have a rescued dog from show breeding in my kennels at the moment stands 28" plus at the shoulders,for a show dog he has good drive and suits a shoot well for picking up and beating on big land with lots of open ground!

The vizsa in my opinion is the more versatile of the two breeds easyer to train and less dominant this can be good and bad it depends on what you want from the two breeds,my vizsla bitch as an example will smash her face into a brick wall to nail a pricked pheasant or rabbit but show her a crow with an open beak or a squirrel with a bit of life left and shel look at me stupid!!!(WHAT THE F**K DO YOU WANT ME TO DO WITH THAT DO YOU THINK IM STUPID!!!(those eyes really do talk)however a weimeraner almost hopes theres a scrap left in it!! be it a squirrel or a fox...generally theyre right in there lol... if you want a bit of a guard dog forget the vizsla not to say they wont bark however as an example i have two vizsla's in door at the moment,if someone were to burgle my house midas would hold the torch and lil would be off retreiving valuables while they put the loot into bags to take away!! charlie the weimeraner however shakes the door frames and windows with his barks and growls,god help anyone who actually got inside the house,kenneled the vizsla tends to be quieter the weimaraners more vocal,if theres any trouble in the place its generally started by the weimaraners,id never keep more than two weimaraners together in a kennel as three would be a disaster even a dead dog,the vizsla however could be kept differently with less trouble,as a house dog again as more and more people keep and work theyre dogs as a family pet as well as a worker the vizsla is less dominant and less likely to have a problem with a child family member or stranger,all in all id leave a child play with a vizsla however id keep my eye open with a weimaraner more closely incase the dominant side came out... some people may dissagree with this and have a soft soppy weimaraner that would never touch little freddy or whoever... this is just my opinion on things the weim can sometimes be the one to watch.

id never be without the breed however my kennels would be russet gold all the way through if i had to get rid of a particular breed...the weimaraner just doesnt quite reach the character the vizsla does... and i feel a little less loyal to the weimaraner as the vizla is so much more loyal and affectionate... i also feel the most important thing is out there working the dog itself the vizla just has that edge!!!

• Like 1

thankyou for your input gary :thumbs: its appreciated.

it suprises me that you say you'd sooner have an all russet gold kennel than grey. but obviously they are the breed that suits you best. and you seem to do very well with them! so would you say as for drive they're fairly similar? just rather the weimaraner for things that bite back?!

Atb

Matt

thankyou for your input gary :thumbs: its appreciated.

it suprises me that you say you'd sooner have an all russet gold kennel than grey. but obviously they are the breed that suits you best. and you seem to do very well with them! so would you say as for drive they're fairly similar? just rather the weimaraner for things that bite back?!

Atb

Matt

cheers matt,dont get me wrong with the biting thing,i also kennel bull crosses i just prefer my dogs to work for the job intended,if i wanted a dog for day fox work id have a weimeraner or most probably a gwp,i just prefer the vizsla its more versatile...good weimaraners are harder to get too so availability is another thing to look at!!!