Recommended hard wearing w/p trousers?

I wore Seeland Lingfield trousers last season, and I really liked the light weight and breathability of them, but the quality was a bit cobblers, the stitching gave up in the manly area quite early and they were too easily torn...But I did like them

Can anyone recommend anything similiar but maybe a bit more hard wearing? Maybe some of the other Seeland types? Brandon, Adventure etc?

i had the seeland beaters and if they reckon you should beat in them well that must be on a low grouse moor cos they cant handle any fuzz.. i found they split easy too like you said all along the stitching iv just bought a pair of bonart ridgeback's from mole valley farmers for £50 so hopefully theyl be better and last more than half a season..

I've also got a pair of Seeland Beater trousers and found them very comfortable and "fairly" waterproof, more on that in a moment.

As above, I found that they got caught up really easily leaving them looking fuzzy (not that looks are important when you're bushing). I also recently stepped over a broken fence with a single strand of barbed wire at the top, after pinning it back for the dogs to hop over (good deed going unrewarded), and heard the tell tale rrriiiipppp you only hear when expensive clothing meets barbed wire. Fortunately, it's only a 2" tear and only in the outer layer but I've not given them a decent test in torrential rain since.

As for being waterproof, initially I found them 100% waterproof in everything from long saturated grass to heavy rain, but on a couple of occasions when I'd been wearing them all day in torrential rain they wetted out a bit at the top of the thigh area. I also found that while the welly-flap design is a great idea in some respects, if it's really chucking it down then the rain runs down the back and straight into your wellies so I now usually wear them completely outside.

Edited to add: I can't afford a replacement pair yet but the photography trousers made by Stealth Gear look impressive though not ideal for the warmer months. :thumbs:

Edited by Neal

I've also got a pair of Seeland Beater trousers and found them very comfortable and "fairly" waterproof, more on that in a moment.

As above, I found that they got caught up really easily leaving them looking fuzzy (not that looks are important when you're bushing). I also recently stepped over a broken fence with a single strand of barbed wire at the top, after pinning it back for the dogs to hop over (good deed going unrewarded), and heard the tell tale rrriiiipppp you only hear when expensive clothing meets barbed wire. Fortunately, it's only a 2" tear and only in the outer layer but I've not given them a decent test in torrential rain since.

As for being waterproof, initially I found them 100% waterproof in everything from long saturated grass to heavy rain, but on a couple of occasions when I'd been wearing them all day in torrential rain they wetted out a bit at the top of the thigh area. I also found that while the welly-flap design is a great idea in some respects, if it's really chucking it down then the rain runs down the back and straight into your wellies so I now usually wear them completely outside.

Edited to add: I can't afford a replacement pair yet but the photography trousers made by Stealth Gear look impressive though not ideal for the warmer months. :thumbs:

I like the look of those trousers...do you have any idea of the price?

Edited to say...I just found the price on another site, they do look good, and a 5 year warranty!

Edited by Fat-Ferret

Thanks Fat Ferret, keep us updated.

I like the fact that the waist line's very adjustable as I find it difficult to get trousers small enough to fit me as I'm a bit of a hobbit.

I've tried over-trousers in the past and though they're great at what they do ie keep water out, I find them way too hot and prefer one layer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...